Punished for reflexes

• So, there’s an interesting quirk to the combat system here. The game actually punishes you for hitting the enemy first.

Go with me on this. Two enemies approach each other. Both launch swings before the other hits. One guy hits the other first. The other guy takes no stun, because he’s mid swing, and hits the first guy. The first guy, having swung, is now stunned.

How does that begin to make sense? Block the first hit with your face, you’ll get the advantage? It’s actually better then blocking the first swing with a parry. That stuns you both and basically leaves you on an even footing. Taking the first hit on the chin, and hitting second, means you can now combo, and the other guy is stunned.

…Does that make sense to anyone else?

• Doesn’t happen right now, but could happen soon. You bring up an interesting point on something called “idle flinch” (go look it up on the forumns :P). Right now you are not flinched (what you call stun) if you are hit during release or recovery. After the next patch you will most likely get an “extended recovery” if you are hit during recovery, but not if you are hit during release. Being hit during release should also result in extended recovery.

• What you say makes perfect sense, and I have experienced this plenty of times. It really needs to be fixed.

• Needs some tuning and tweaking.

• With the addition of flinch in recovery states, being hit in your release will force you to go into recovery after your attack, removing your ability to combo. So there’ll be no instance where hit trading can be used as a “strategy” in the near future.

• @SlyGoat:

With the addition of flinch in recovery states, being hit in your release will force you to go into recovery after your attack, removing your ability to combo. So there’ll be no instance where hit trading can be used as a “strategy” in the near future.

Ah good to know, but there’s one thing that crossed my mind: what about feint cooldown time? With it being that short (0.2 and 0.3 s) it really needs flinch applied to it. I think that’s one of the main reason why “idle flinch” became so apparent with the last patch, because that was when feint cooldown was introduced. Getting hit “while” feinting almost always creates this “free-hit” situation.

• Yeah, that’s another one.

• I definitely would like to see this addressed. Especially as a frequent MAA player - this really gets to me. I’m good at getting surprise attacks but there’s no point to the MAA if I can get hit by a 2-hander stun and combo before I can get a second swing in with a small, fast weapon.

• @SlyGoat:

With the addition of flinch in recovery states, being hit in your release will force you to go into recovery after your attack, removing your ability to combo. So there’ll be no instance where hit trading can be used as a “strategy” in the near future.

This would be nice. I can’t count the number of times I have stabbed someone, to simply have them still close the gap and hit me, stun me and then finish me off.