Rally Mechanic For Team Objective Games

• Imagine you are on the attacking team on the last objective of Stonehill to kill the king. After the initial push, your team is scattered and respawning at different times. Your last attack with two of your Masons teammates was easily rebuffed by the Agathan defense.

You respawn again, but this time you hear the feint cries of “RALLY!!!” “RALLY HERE!!!” You don’t see the player making the rally call, but you do see a “Rally” objective marker up ahead. As you exit the spawn tunnels into the courtyard, you see a Mason knight waving a torn banner to and fro, with a small gaggle of fellow Masons waiting. As most of your team have gathered, the knight puts away the banner and shouts “Forward!” This time the Agathan King dies. This time you charge with your teammates into glory!

• :/ Just use the existing voice commands, or team chat.

• Both voice commands and team chat have limitations that prevents the attackers from organizing effectively.

Using the “Follow me” tactical message has several issues:
    1. When more than two people are together, you can’t distinguish who is really saying it.
    2. It implies I’m going somewhere and the other people should follow. It is often interpreted as “Let’s go follow me” rather than “Wait here, follow me.”
    3. It is by proximity and doesn’t get communicated to most of the team.

Using team chat also has its problems:
    1. Takes time to type in chat: “hey guys, let’s rush together. Meetup at the courtyard before heading out”
    2. The courtyard is a specific example where I know that location, but most of the time it would be troublesome to figuring out how to describe a location, and then for others to figure out where you are describing.
    3. Without a visual indicator, when people do meetup, they don’t know who is leading the rally. And if one person starts to stray, other might assume he was the leader and follow without the rest of the team being ready.

Features of a Rally Mechanic:
    1. Visually identifiable rally point:
    a. A character waving a banner
    b. Objective marker “Rally” over the head of the person doing the rallying
    2. Simple to use, just one keystroke if implemented like a taunt, or two strokes if like a tactical message.
    3. Clear message of rally: gather the team, then move out together.

• Well, I can see it being beneficial, at least. I’d get behind this, as long as the banner character wasn’t completely useless while carrying the banner. I’d like to see something like in the main image for this game - i.e, the forum background and main site background.

• I think this is a really good idea. I think even better, would be that it is a limited use weapon, meaning that for instance, it could only be used once per game/round.

Plus, you could press F2 to spawn on the banner, instead of respawning at … spawn.

• @KingArthur:

I think this is a really good idea. I think even better, would be that it is a limited use weapon, meaning that for instance, it could only be used once per game/round.

Plus, you could press F2 to spawn on the banner, instead of respawning at … spawn.

I don’t like spawning on the banner thing… To easy to spawncamp the damned things.

• +1

• Yeah I like the idea, great for pub servers and getting everyone together. Most people ignore voice or chat but I will certainly head to a rally point.

• How about the top scorer of the Mason team becomes a banner carrier, and teammates naturally rally up to him? He could be a persistent HUD marker and always visible for teammates, so he could easily make them wait and gather and go for organised assault throughout the whole sections?

• @havz0r:

How about the top scorer of the Mason team becomes a banner carrier, and teammates naturally rally up to him? He could be a persistent HUD marker and always visible for teammates, so he could easily make them wait and gather and go for organised assault throughout the whole sections?

Why only the Masons? :/

• @Hadron:

@havz0r:

How about the top scorer of the Mason team becomes a banner carrier, and teammates naturally rally up to him? He could be a persistent HUD marker and always visible for teammates, so he could easily make them wait and gather and go for organised assault throughout the whole sections?

I was talking only in relation to the “defend the king” section. But yes, now that I think about it, it could be implemented in regular play, with the only mention that archers cannot be banner carriers.

• @havz0r:

@Hadron:

@havz0r:

I was talking only in relation to the “defend the king” section. But yes, now that I think about it, it could be implemented in regular play, with the only mention that archers cannot be banner carriers.

Ah. Aalso, why not for archers? Genuinely curious here, because I see no reason for archers to not be included (in the rare event that it’s an archer at the top of the scoreboard…)

• Well, for “feeling” reasons. As I see it, the banner carrier should be one who runs into the thick of battle, the rest of the team following in a glorious bulldozing frenzy :)