Feinting Questions

• For slow weapons, do i want to do a fast feint or a slow feint? How long do i want the first attack’s animation to progress before i cancel it?

Would it be better to feint as late as possible, assuming the players themselves will parry as late as possible because they know the weapon is slow?

Or would it be better to feint quickly, so that my second attack will already be in progress by the time their parry animation is running?

What i am noticing is my feints are sometimes “double parried,” as in their first parry falls for the feint, but their second parry is fast enough to block the real attack after the feint.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The types of weapons i use are the slower 2hander types: Maul, longsword, greatsword, spears, etc.

Edit: What is people’s opinion on using a thrust attack as a feint. Is it harder to see than other attacks and therefore counterproductive for the purpose of the feint?

• Brandi Stock. Run at the guy with your overhead attack(it looks like a stab), when you are really close to them cancel the attack at the last chance you are able to and follow it with another overhead attack. Then you have to turn hard into them to speed up the poke or else they will be able to do a “double block”. With spear weapons I always hold that thing until the last millisecond. It really messes with opponents minds. For faster weapons you don’t need to do this, but slow weps it works like a charm :D

• @ChuckingIt:

Brandi Stock. Run at the guy with your overhead attack(it looks like a stab), when you are really close to them cancel the attack at the last chance you are able to and follow it with another overhead attack. Then you have to turn hard into them to speed up the poke or else they will be able to do a “double block”. With spear weapons I always hold that thing until the last millisecond. It really messes with opponents minds. For faster weapons you don’t need to do this, but slow weps it works like a charm :D

Probably not advised if you actually want to get better at this game rather than relying on dodgy mechanics as much as possible…

• @Bloodhead:

@ChuckingIt:

Brandi Stock. Run at the guy with your overhead attack(it looks like a stab), when you are really close to them cancel the attack at the last chance you are able to and follow it with another overhead attack. Then you have to turn hard into them to speed up the poke or else they will be able to do a “double block”. With spear weapons I always hold that thing until the last millisecond. It really messes with opponents minds. For faster weapons you don’t need to do this, but slow weps it works like a charm :D

Probably not advised if you actually want to get better at this game rather than relying on dodgy mechanics as much as possible…

If you can kill me with a brandi stock 1 v 1 not doing some form of this technique I will proclaim you the savior of this world.

• I duel with the Zweihander a lot, and I find it best to feint early and then drag my attack (hit them at the end of the swing instead of the start either by looking up for an overhead or looking away from them with a slash/stab - with a stab you drag the attack back afterwards), because experienced players will anticipate dragging if you attack without feinting; the feint is just to throw the off and make them parry early, but not so early that they can block again before I hit them.

• @Bloodhead:

You and Radiant’s crusade to remove feint, seriously, give it up already, it’s not happening. Ffs.

Or I guess I should just say - deal with it.

• @Stillbjorn:

@Bloodhead:

You and Radiant’s crusade to remove feint, seriously, give it up already, it’s not happening. Ffs.

The war will rage on.

• If you can kill me with a brandi stock 1 v 1 not doing some form of this technique I will proclaim you the savior of this world.

But he didn’t ask for advice on the brandistock. He was asking for general advice. I am just advising the OP not to take this advice too literally, since if he plays like you described he won’t get any better. He could still choose to do so, of course, but it’s important to know.

Okay, firstly if you can quote me ANYWHERE where I EVER said that feint should be removed, I will call you my God.

Secondly, it was hardly a ‘crusade’ if the thread was filled with people making their complaints. If you think feint is fine as it is, you are a minority view.

Thirdly in this case it isn’t feint itself I was complaining about, it was feint combined with thrust attacks - which, as you should know, are incredibly hard to read and hence are a bit ‘dodgy’. Your skill won’t increase at all if you win your duels with tactics like those because you will be winning by mechanics not by skill.

• Radiant… dat you?

• It is I.

• @Bloodhead:

But he didn’t ask for advice on the brandistock. He was asking for general advice. I am just advising the OP not to take this advice too literally, since if he plays like you described he won’t get any better. He could still choose to do so, of course, but it’s important to know.

Read again. At the end he said he mainly uses slow 2h weapons. And in there he listed spears. So read more carefully before replying.

Slow 2h weapons only work if you feint or use it to hit people who aren’t paying attention. (poleaxe does not apply since its not slow overhead.)

@clown:

The types of weapons i use are the slower 2hander types: Maul, longsword, greatsword, spears, etc.