One hand vs two hand for knight

• Ok, so I am a bit confused. What is the difference in using your swords one handed vs two handed?

two handed seems to swing slower somehow to me

• @Mashuu:

Ok, so I am a bit confused. What is the difference in using your swords one handed vs two handed?

two handed seems to swing slower somehow to me

Two hands mean you do more damage and have a little bit more reach. One handed allows you to have a shield and slightly faster strikes.

• 2H = more reach & damage but it’s slower.
    1H = Faster, can have a shield but less damage (the little hammer is at par with the maul imo)

That damn hammer is over-powered, I have so many kills with it.

• if you pick the right 1handers, damage is almost - if not the same

2 handers give you more aoe while 1handers let you kill single people way faster

• Basically what everyone else said. The biggest thing about going 1hand is that you get a shield, which, if you’re like me, is fucking awesome. Much less death to ranged attacks and, more importantly, to feints.

• Realism goes out the window when you swing a sword faster with one hand rather than two :lol:

Shields are for weiners, also.

Mauls > everything else.

I use the maul in one hand.

• @Slaughtervomit:

Realism goes out the window when you swing a sword faster with one hand rather than two :lol:

I agree to this. I was thinking. I am using both of my arms. I have more strength behind it, so why am I moving it so slow?

• @Slaughtervomit:

Mauls > everything else.

I use the maul in one hand.

Have you tried dual wielding mauls? Now THAT would be impressive. And down right scary!

• @Mashuu:

@Slaughtervomit:

Realism goes out the window when you swing a sword faster with one hand rather than two :lol:

I agree to this. I was thinking. I am using both of my arms. I have more strength behind it, so why am I moving it so slow?

Honestly……

This has totally broken my opinions of the knight class.

• I agree to this. I was thinking. I am using both of my arms. I have more strength behind it, so why am I moving it so slow?

As this is a game and it’s about fun you also need to balance things to make it fun, not necessarily realistic. With shorter weapons you compensate by swinging them faster for less damage (some one-handed weapons can deal more damage but are even shorter, which is important in melee). With longer weapons you attack slower but you can deal more damage and have more reach, this can come in handy when there are multiple opponents around you or you just need to keep someone at a distance, forcing him to get really close to be able to hurt you.

• I vote use 2H. The speed benefit of the 1H isn’t great enough to mitigate the loss in power and reach. With 2H, just always remember to move your mouse while you swing and lead in whichever direction the swing is. This allows you to strike the enemy much quicker (angled perpendicular to the opponent when your sword hits them), and it also puts you in good position to turn again and get behind the opponent for a fatal blow to his head. :)

Since knights are kind of slow, it is important to dispatch of enemies as quickly as possible, and there is too much fiddling around when you use the 1H.

• 90% of the time 2H, I only really switch to 1h/shield when I’m going up against a MaA or Archer for the speed.

• @Xanith:

90% of the time 2H, I only really switch to 1h/shield when I’m going up against a MaA or Archer for the speed.

I have started to do this.

I also find it best to just swing at MaA since they usually try to “teleport” around you, leaving stabs and overheads pretty useless.

• @Mashuu:

@Slaughtervomit:

It’s not the same sword. It’s a smaller version of it. Where he puts it is up to interpretation, but it’s clearly a different sword because of size difference.
    But then, when a MAA uses an Oil Pot, he still has one on his belt. /shrug
    So, definitely concealed somewhere.

• The big difference: 1 handers have a bit less damage, usually more speed, but above all, less arc AND less reach.

• @Mashuu:

@Slaughtervomit:

It’s not slower, per se. It just has a larger arc which takes more time to complete. You have the entire windup period of the weapon going. While one handed you make smaller strikes and thus get to be quicker.

At least that’s how I explain it away. Mechanically it works just fine, slower and more damage and reach or faster, less damage, and less reach.

• @Corsair:

@Mashuu:

@Slaughtervomit:

It’s not slower, per se. It just has a larger arc which takes more time to complete. You have the entire windup period of the weapon going. While one handed you make smaller strikes and thus get to be quicker.

At least that’s how I explain it away. Mechanically it works just fine, slower and more damage and reach or faster, less damage, and less reach.

“Its not slower it just takes more time to complete.”

Makes no fucking sense? Lol.

• @lemonater47:

“Its not slower it just takes more time to complete.”

Makes no fucking sense? Lol.

One person has to go 20 miles to get to work, but another 10. They both drive on the same road and have the same speed limit. If they both leave at the same time, the person who has to go only 10 miles will get there first.

Hypothetically for Chiv, both weapons swing at the same degrees per second. But the larger weapon has more to go through. It is just as fast, it just has longer to go. And a larger windup.