Upcoming games like chivalry?

• With the growing popularity of chivalry, I have no doubt in my mind that some of the AAA publishers have their eyes on this small in the game. Either they are going to buy it up or they are going to start making their own imitations on a much larger scale. Pretty soon we may have some chivalry like game created by electronic arts featuring the full scale of siege weapons 60 versus 60 or more gigantic battles, etc.

But I haven’t read any news of any upcoming games like chivalry yet, and am wondering if anyone has some info. Just think of it this way right now chivalry is like what the old counterstrike was back in the 90s it starting a revolution in online first-person shooters. But in the upcoming years were going to have the battlefield threes and call of duties except with melee warfare.

The really can’t deny this there’s no doubt that the game publishers are taking notice of this game and this genre when it is topping the steam top 20 sales month after month. Often times breaking the top five.

I think the Elder scrolls oblivion has a chance to replicate some of this combat style, but I have my doubts because that is primarily a PVE focused game and never in the history of MMO’s have you ever had a game that’s been able to cater both to the PVE and PVP crowd despite what the pre-launch hype says. But no developer, how is not a big-time developer, has had the guts to risk a PVP only melee first-person shooter but now that chivalry is out the door and being so successful I’m sure that were going to see some investors with major bank soon.

• I doubt it, AAA developers are too focused on what they can rehash into a shitty sequel. Even if they did want to try and rip Chivalry off it’d probably be awful.

Most similar upcoming game would probably be Clang but it’s going for a much more realistic style I think (also motion controls).

• You have “War of the Roses” to try. It was released only some weeks before Chivalry, it is much more realistic and with people working nonstop and releasing 1 patch/moth + previous betas, and rumors of trying to emulate the “Mount & Blade” way to develop the game, so it is expected to be growing for much time.

I like Chivalry and I play sometimes, but honestly I prefer WotR, and I have the illusions more in WotR too. Along this week is going to be out the January release patch of WotR, and it promises. So…, more than waiting for another game, stay tunned for the changes of the existing ones.

• @kdaber:

You have “War of the Roses” to try. It was released only some weeks before Chivalry, it is much more realistic and with people working nonstop and releasing 1 patch/moth + previous betas, and rumors of trying to emulate the “Mount & Blade” way to develop the game, so it is expected to be growing for much time.

I like Chivalry and I play sometimes, but honestly I prefer WotR, and I have the illusions more in WotR too. Along this week is going to be out the January release patch of WotR, and it promises. So…, more than waiting for another game, stay tunned for the changes of the existing ones.

Combat is way too floaty for me and it feels to arcadey. Its nice that you can customise (choose your favorite colour) to your armour but I out grew paint years ago.

I agree with the op however think there will be more than a few hoping to jump on this bandwagon and hopefully it will result in some great games.

• @Sir:

@kdaber:

You have “War of the Roses” to try. It was released only some weeks before Chivalry, it is much more realistic…

Oh sweet Jesus, you gotta be shitting me!?

• Apart from Tale worlds Bannerlord (Sequel to M&B), with very little information available, im slightly sceptical, not in the same sense of Chivalry atleast.

I think that AAA publishers are more focused on current trends with their own products, the target audience love it and will pay anything, i.e. EA are milking the Sims 3, ensuring/observing Maxis develop god-knows how many expansions costing £15-£30, not even coming to mention the small content packs costing £10. Could say the same about Battlefield 3.

I’m sure they have noticed and discussed Chivalry’s success internally, but I can imagine they would rather invest money in there current titles which have performed perfectly on paper, like the upcoming new Sim City, without taking risks on new ones. Yet it certainly happens, just think more titles in the genre are more likely to come from indie developers.

• @William:

@Sir doyle the noob:

@kdaber:

You have “War of the Roses” to try. It was released only some weeks before Chivalry, it is much more realistic…

Oh sweet Jesus, you gotta be shitting me!?

Well, although not being realistic, it is more realistic than Chiv in different aspects:

• Scenarios are much more realistic and detailed.
    • Human appearance much more got. The fighter is designed as a human.
    • Armors and weapons are based on reality, and are really nice. Balance and weapon behavior is not the good point, but things may change with patches. Collisions are simply great.
    • Battle is more realistic and strategic, but too fast and crazy, although not as much as Chivalry. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Chiv is so popular…, Chiv is total fast arcade, and maybe people prefer this. I think WotR is not more realistic maybe because devs are aware of that (and that is a pitty).

Besides, making a simulator must be much more difficult than an arcade game, in which it is not necessary to emulate physics, animations, real collisions, etc. I suppose there are a lot of technical reasons to avoid making a real battle simulation.

• @kdaber:

Well, although not being realistic, it is more realistic than Chiv in different aspects:

• Armors and weapons are based on reality, and are really nice. Balance and weapon behavior is not the good point, but things may change with patches. Collisions are simply great.
    • Battle is more realistic and strategic, but too fast and crazy, although not as much as Chivalry. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Chiv is so popular…, Chiv is total fast arcade, and maybe people prefer this. I think WotR is not more realistic maybe because devs are aware of that (and that is a pitty).

Besides, making a simulator must be much more difficult than an arcade game, in which it is not necessary to emulate physics, animations, real collisions, etc. I suppose there are a lot of technical reasons to avoid making a real battle simulation.

You keep throwing around the word “realistic”, but can you elaborate on why its realistic? What do you mean by WoR having more realistic scenarios? Is killing peasants and regicide science fiction? Do Chivalry warriors not look human enough?

And I think you got mixed up between realism and authenticity. Having period specific armours is cool and authentic, but its scores no extra points for realism. Since I see no vanguards wearing spacesuits or flak jackets, in terms of armours they’re both realistic.

On topic, the closest upcoming game would be M&B II which I’m looking forward to for its SP role-playing gameplay.

• @kdaber:

Realistic. So the floaty combat and no stamina drain is realistic are you shitting me? You spam buttons and have this horrid you ui showing you doing different horizontal slashes back and forth with no collision on impact. Might as well be fighting with feathers.

• Mount & Blade 2

it will probably be the best medieval game to date

• WotR has the edge in realism in terms of its realistic historical setting, but the actual combat itself (damage numbers, squad spawns etc.) doesn’t really bear that out.

@x123:

Mount & Blade 2
    it will probably be the best medieval game to date

As much as I enjoy chiv, I really can’t wait for this.

• M&B2.

But Taleworlds isn’t AAA, they’re as indie as TB.

• Yeah I hate WoTR gameplay. The mechanics feel like they get in the way of playing the game.

Chivalry’s controls feel much more natural and intuitive, and the combat feels much more visceral and I think it is substantially more ‘realistic’ to the extent a game like this can be.

Chivalry is just a really impressive game all around - my GOTY 2012 for sure. I doubt it will be bested any time soon by anyone but Torn Banner. I personally hope the success of Chivalry means that in a few years time they will be able to develop another title that is a bit more tight and robust. With much larger battles too :).