Which 1H axe is the best?

• I’m an almost exclusive MAA player. My loadout is almost always 1 of the 3 axes simply because they combine speed and armor penetration into one elegant weapon. I always switch around among the three, but i hear differing opinions as to which 1H axe is the best. I’m curious as to what some of you consider to be the best 1H axe in Chivalry. No doubt some choices are situational, but your best axe is your go-to weapon in most situations.

The hatchet is a fun weapon to spam, if you can get in close enough! Its combos are deadly fast making it a great 1v1 weapon. My 2nd favorite behind the war axe.

There seems to be a consensus that the war axe is the worst, but I want to know why because its my favorite for taking out heavy classes. It has speed, and can take out vanguards in 2 hits. However if i’m expecting a lot of good MAA players i’ll switch to hatchet for its speed.

Range is something an MAA sacrifices in return for pure DPS, so i’m not quite sure about the dane axe. A lot of people say its a great (some say the best) 1H axe, which i’m inclined to agree with sometimes, except its range is irrelevant, and its speed leaves a bit to be desired. Its far from a bad weapon, but the other axes just do better jobs, IMO.

• I’d say Dane Axe. Perfect balance between speed, damage and range.

• the way the MAA is as a class you can use literally any weapon and do well so weapon choice is more of a preference/playstyle thing than anything really
    (this is from playing pubs, duels, and scrims)

best for duels: hachet, dane axe
    best for teamfighting: dane, waraxe

hachet- supremely fast and when combined with dodges you can hittrade or beat out attacks all day, supreme facehug weapon- has a deceptive range thanks to its active time
    lacks the range you need to be safe in teamfights so you put yourself in dangerous situations more often, even with backdoges- if you do get opportunities to attack you get very fast burst damage

war axe- 2 overheadshots + kick kill a knight, decent range and 2bodyshots vanguards which is great especially against vg heavy teams, also hits with the waraxe hurt so enemies are pushed close to lethal after just 1 swing
    waraxe also has a very good combo time with decent range but obviously it’s not as well balanced as dane

dane- crazy range lets you outdistance maas and close in better on pole/spearguards, the really long active time increases its range and lets you do crazy mousedrag shit- also the fact that you can backdodge and hit someone is insane
    dane is good for both teamfights and duels since the range lets you stay very safe while doing good damage (and has a very good speed for being so long reaching on maa) also the combospeed is good enough so you can get good dodge + combos in

• really depends what your other weapon is?

I recon with your two weapons you want one that is fast and one that has high damage & range

• The Dane Axe is currently the best axe (and arguably the best overall MAA primary weapon.)

• @Kirby:

The Dane Axe is currently the best axe (and arguably the best overall MAA primary weapon.)

Pretty much this.

• Right now it’s the Dane Axe. However the buffs coming to the War Axe will make it much more versatile because the stab won’t be useless. Whether or not it will replace the Dane Axe or becomes a viable alternative remains to be seen.

• @Kirby:

The Dane Axe is currently the best axe (and arguably the best overall MAA primary weapon.)

I don’t see how it’s better than a Broadsword in team games. Anything other than team games, maybe? I mean, you don’t have dick stab for flanking.
    Stab=Safe
    Also its overhead being so much more powerful than the swing means it can be too predictable. Just throwing some thoughts out there.
    I hate the Dane Axe. I prefer the insane speed, 2shot Vanguard if 1 headshot, 3 shot Knights, 95% speed stab Hatchet that is hard to work with. More reward in the right hands.

• I@DeminRamst:

@Kirby:

I don’t see how it’s better than a Broadsword in team games. Anything other than team games, maybe? I mean, you don’t have dick stab for flanking.
    Stab=Safe
    Also its overhead being so much more powerful than the swing means it can be too predictable. Just throwing some thoughts out there.
    I hate the Dane Axe. I prefer the insane speed, 2shot Vanguard if 1 headshot, 3 shot Knights, 95% speed stab Hatchet that is hard to work with. More reward in the right hands.

The dane axe has the same windup times as the broadsword and also has a faster stab that is weaker but great for flinching targets and adding a little bit of damage. It all comes down to preference, and i love the broadword as well but dane does it all and kills knights faster/easier than broadsword. They both require 2 hits to the head to kill Vg’s and the dane doesn’t need any hits to the head to 3 shot a knight, broadsword requiring all 3 to the head.

• Holy water, just cause I like to use things most don’t.

• Is the war axe that bad a weapon? Its basically a gimped version of the hatchet, which is already nigh unstoppable once you get the first hit in.

I feel the dane’s range is completely pointless, but that’s because I’m very aggressive with axes and I like to get up-close. The dane loses out in terms of speed; try fighting another MAA with a faster weapon and you’ll find he out maneuvers you a lot. Also, according to statistics it actually loses out to the other axes in terms of damage, but I dunno how reliable that spreadsheet is.

• Hatchet, speed is everything to an MAA.

• I’m surprised the Dane Axe is far ahead of the Hatchet. In the hands of a good player, I find fighting against the Hatchet far worse than the Dane Axe; both weapons kill MAA and Vanguards in 2 hits, and the Knight in 3, but the Hatchet is so much faster and efficient at it. I guess it’s because the Hatchet has a slightly higher skill ceiling because of its lower range and the Dane Axe is a tad easier to use with its slow release time and longer range.

• It’s no contest for me. Dane Axe. Hatchet is good, but a good player is probably not going to let you land multiple hits on him. The insane amount of mouse dragging it’s attacks have allows you to easily circumvent shields and it’s length makes it a very forgiving weapon.

• Never use Axes 8-)