Enough with the Archer hate.

• Seriously though, on almost every server you go on, if you choose to play as an archer, you will be lambasted by anyone in there about how useless you are, and how you ruin the game. Every time, my stubborn self, I defend my right to play as the archer, and then more people join in on the hate. It also leads to being team killed constantly, and even some vote kicks. According to ignorant chivalry players across the nation, by playing an archer, I am not “doing it right.” They think they have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do in a game centered around having a unique experience. To be honest, I shouldn’t be surprised, trust the internet to be assholes because they can get away with it.

• Some dedicated archers have really improved since this game came out - always surprised to see a few near the top of the leaderboard. But really most of them ARE worthless. The problem is archers are a very attractive class for some reason. So in any TO map, there is a good chance your team will have too many. I’ve seen many a Hillside game where Agatha is just getting destroyed because their team is 50% archers camped in the spawn trying to hit enemies hundreds of feet away. I think other players on those teams get understandably frustrated. Unless something like that is happening though, I don’t see too much archer hate out there.

• It really isn’t understandable. Lots of people are bad in chivalry, and archers seem to take everyone else flak.

• It’s funny, because I see LMB spamming idiots racking up the team kills, they apologize and everyone is fine. God forbid if an archer team kills by accident, you have to murder him repeatedly and harass him in chat.

• gett off ma chiavlry archr fggtz

• @Wingy:

gett off ma chiavlry archr fggtz

That’s the kind of shit that needs to stop.

• It’s because the lowest of the low play this game in pubs.

• @Prof.Wubba:

It’s funny, because I see LMB spamming idiots racking up the team kills, they apologize and everyone is fine. God forbid if an archer team kills by accident, you have to murder him repeatedly and harass him in chat.

+1

Since I became a veteran archer I’m getting abused a lot less and none of my team mates come up and kick me. I also top the scoreboard as archer or come pretty close.

Though many archers are pretty useless. Archers are not snipers, as soon a you realise that you become a good archer.

Though I save someone’s life a an archer and they call me a kill stealer. They were getting owned by someone and I headshot them and then I get called a kill stealer. Sometimes I’m wondering which head I want to aim at.

• @MUSASHI:

It’s because the lowest of the low play this game in pubs.

This guy for real? :lolz:

I’m a pretty good archer, and the only time I’ll opt to use the class is when there are zero on our team or the opposite team, and I’ll use Warbow + Bodkin to support the team, or when there’s an over-abundance of archers on the other team and I’ll use Warbow + Broadhead.

It’s normally me who begins the archer hate in the servers. The amount of times we’ve been unable to make that final push to push the Cart or Bomb Cart because 50% of the team are archers/crossbowmen sitting at the back of the map and shooting from 100+ metres away and hoping to get lucky.

Then the problem arises when the other team has 4-5 archers that keep creaming us as melee classes, and our own archers are comparing quivers at the back of the map. I’ll be forced to add yet another archer to the team just to counter the oppositions archers and I’ll say something in the chat. Without a doubt one of the shitty crossbowmen will pipe up about me being an archer as well, but the big difference is, I’m 13 and 3 simply through one-shotting enemy archers, and he’s 3 and 9.

As an archer you pass a skill threshold where you don’t get hate, you get compliments. The amount of ‘Nice shot Ajax’ or Thanks voiceovers I get far, far outweighs the hate, and if I do get hate its general archer hate for the 7 archers on our team and they’re usually quick to say ‘Apart from the guy who’s killing their archers over and over’.

@lemonater47:

Though I save someone’s life a an archer and they call me a kill stealer. They were getting owned by someone and I headshot them and then I get called a kill stealer. Sometimes I’m wondering which head I want to aim at.

Must be the servers man, I’ve saved my fair share of people and have only been called a kill-stealer once. I just explained in chat that the two kills I’d ‘stolen’ were both Javelineers and I was using Warbow + Broadhead and even if he hadn’t touched him, I one shot them in the torso. He just said ‘Oh, thanks’.

• You can duel me if you want. This game is literally cruise control for me now. Once the honeymoon phase ends for you, it’ll be clearer.

By the ideas conveyed in your post you pretty much show me that you don’t understand this game at all.

• @MUSASHI:

You can duel me if you want. This game is literally cruise control for me now. Once the honeymoon phase ends for you, it’ll be clearer.

By the ideas conveyed in your post you pretty much show me that you don’t understand this game at all.

Your pretentious ass isn’t even worth speaking to.

Nah, I don’t understand the game at all, overlord of Chivalry. :lolz:

• @Prof.Wubba:

in a game centered around having a unique experience.

Um, I think the game is centered around medieval combat and fun, not you having a unique experience. There are only so many experiences to have in Chivalry; They won’t all be unique.

Just clarifying - carry on.

• That’s funny, I understand this game pretty well with 100+ hours of play and veteran unlocked in all classes. BTW To the post before this, complements come from the enemy team, the insults come from your allies. How productive.

• @Prof.Wubba:

That’s funny, I understand this game pretty well with 100+ hours of play and veteran unlocked in all classes. BTW To the post before this, complements come from the enemy team, the insults come from your allies. How productive.

I’ve found the insults are never directed at you if you’re doing well as an archer. It’s general hate towards the crossbowmen who are showing each other their bolt-tips at the back of the map and doing zero for the team.

I’ve lost count of the amount of crossbowmen/archers I’ve kicked off the ledge that we spawn behind on Hillside when the battle is up near the pass, or even at the Pyre and they’re just taking pot shots at the one person that spawns every 1-2 minutes.

The archer class is the one truly useless class that doesn’t help your team complete the objective at all in the hands of someone who’s bad. Even that same nub using a knight or vanguard makes a difference in a 2v2 battle if he were to jump in to make it 3v2. Just standing there and swinging randomly puts the other players under pressure and makes them more likely to be killed by a better player.

When I join a game, I check the leaderboard for good archers. If I see one, only then do I feel like I’m under pressure from an archer, the shitty archers, I could care less, they’re more likely to hit their team mate than they are me, and even then, 95% of the time they’ll miss both of us anyway.

• Too much skill required. Most Archers are just bad, because they don’t know when to shoot, where to be at what time, and why cover is important. They’re a support class, which in pub games get no support, because good support requires communication.

As such, they’re often a detriment to their team.

Something though that changes everything, is being on defense. Archers get away with murder on defense, 'cause they have to make less decision, work less hard, and just generally camp. They become effective, because the enemy has to funnel through chokes to get the the objective. The enemy archers have to go cover to cover only to get a glimpse of your forehead moving left and right.

So when you’re on offense and you have 5+ archers in a 12 man team, goodbye team, I’m gonna go hunting knife with my man-at-arms, and hump our Archers.

• The thing is a useless melee player is still useful as a distraction so you’re not getting 2v1’d, while a useless archer does nothing. So those players who are pushing an objective are still getting “helped” just simply by having another person there, which archers are not.

• This is just one more thread about archers that makes me lulz. Of course you are going to get hated on because most player suck at it and the ones that dont can melee 3v1 and win quite often. While the class is a necessary class, there are usually far too many of them. There are reasons why the devs are allowing servers to limit certain classes and this will be the first to be limited. They are simply annoying. This is nothing new and only archers will defend the class so adamantly when clearly they have some balance issues. Just look all over this forum.

• @Prof.Wubba:

It really isn’t understandable. Lots of people are bad in chivalry, and archers seem to take everyone else flak.

True… I see a lot of players jump to the Vanguard like people jumped to the HWGuy in TFC… because he’s easy to use to gain a bunch of kills.

I also see a lot of Man At Arms just running around M1-Mashing away in a circle trying to hit anything around them with the same tactics as most Vanguards… just wildly swinging away until they hit something.

^ Those are the players I see the most complaining about Archers… they can just M1-Mash at them blindly because they’re so far away, they can’t figure out how to counter archers by using some friggin tactics, so they b*tch and moan the whole round.

I played Archer a few weeks back as a defender and one guy was killed by me from a good distance away. He started ranting about Archers and how crappy they were, as if I shouldn’t be allowed to use them.

I just laughed at him, as did a number of other players on both teams.

I eventually dropped him about 5 more times after that, following each kill by a friendly Troll Laugh at his expense just to piss him off further.

Eventually he got pretty close to me and started M1-Spamming, but then I hauled out my dagger and dropped him from full health with a flurry of various combos… poor sucker didn’t even hit me… who would have thunk an Archer could be good at close quarters??

There’s been a number of times where I’ve dropped Knights and Vanguards with a mere dagger while they never touched me.

Most times when I pick Archer, I’ll gradually shoot towards the enemy as I advance, eventually getting close to the action, which is usually when I switch to my melee weapons and get into the action. When the area is cleared, I switch back to my bow / crossbow and repeat.

Other times I use my spear.

Archers have their advantages and disadvantages like every other class… and you will have people good with the class and people terrible with the class like every other.

I’ve even seen on FFA matches when the battles get too tough for players, they automatically switch to Vanguard and before you know it, 80 - 90% of the players on the map are Vanguards because everybody else is.

But you don’t hear me complaining about it in game… just as I don’t complain when there’s archers… I just go after archers cuz most are easy to kill.

Added:

There’s a bit of a conundrum going on here with some people’s arguments:

You have people saying that there’s a threshold where archers are crap and are crapped on, and when they get good and get compliments…. almost to hint that if you suck as an archer, you shouldn’t play one.

Yet if these crappy archers who end up hitting team mates and doing very little for their team don’t get to keep using the class to figure out what works best and how to use them properly, how the hell will they ever get better?

Yet while doing so, they’re constantly trashed on by other players.

Yeah, I’ve been on the team that was 90% all archers as attackers and we weren’t doing very well at all cuz most just camped and took pot shots… but did that stop me from playing the game and enjoying it?

No… I still went after the other team and did my best. It’s a game.

• IF archers didnt suck then why do LTS map rounds always end with a lame archer battle, while everyone in spec is forced to watch the gayness?
    :archb: :lolz:

• If there were not archers, the game couldn’t support groups of more then 10V10.

Literally EVERY front line would be far too dense for people to do anything but die and get a random.

Given that Every populated game usually exceeds 20V20….

We have a lot to thank archers for, given that they do not pollute our front lines with junk swings.

Hate large servers, not archers.