[KNIGHT] How to play without the Primary

• Knight: How to play without the Primary

I play knight almost exclusively, only when I’m getting a bit bored of high K/D matches do I play another class (archer). I’ve been around the block a few times, I know just about every trick in the book. I can hit around shields, and get right past parries. I never feint because I don’t need to, they cannot block my attacks unless they are constantly running away. There are a few tips that can make you the most deadly Knight.

1: Footwork. Any character’s footwork is important, but the Knight has to be the most efficient with his, because he moves the slowest. It is also the most important aspect of this “build.” The basic key to footwork is try to try to always be beside your opponent, but still facing the same direction. What you do is basically get RIGHT up to your opponents face (assuming you’re using a secondary, this guide is about using a secondary weapon as your main) staring a swing and moving to the left or right of your opponent but NOT turning to face them. Which side you are on is important, because you want your strike hitting them at the right time. If you are fighting an opponent with a shield, you want to pass on the side of the opponent as the same side your swing started on, and if you get all the way beside them, your blow is technically hitting behind them so to block they would have to have been facing the other direction. If you are fighting an archer or vanguard, or an MaA without a shield, you will want to do the opposite. You want to pass them on the same side you started your swing from, that way your strike lands faster, but remember, if they parried early enough you can turn to face away so that your strike will hit just after their parry has ended. If you use your footwork effectively your shots cannot be blocked. I always like to throw in a good overhead/jump strike. What you do is start your swing but at the last second jump and aim down. This causes your strike to hit the BACK of their head (remember if you’re hitting behind them they CANNOT parry or block it) but ONLY if you are hugging them really close.

2: I never use my primary. There is only that once in a blue moon opportunity for which I do keep my beloved Messer handy, though. That moment is when you get behind a good group of enemies and they don’t know you’re coming up behind them. You take out that long weapon and swing, aiming for the high head chop. If your opponents are wounded then that did the job, back off and take out your secondary, and 1hit stab or if you can get between two of them a good swing will net you a double or even triple kill. Sometimes I take out my primary and switch to secondary at the last second just to confuse them, but most noobs just expect a slow-to-attack knight and not a fast-weapon-wielding bastard.

3: Throwing axes. Throwing axes are the most important tool a knight has. Most players casually throw them as they approach enemies, and usually get a hit or two but nothing lethal or very helpful to your team. Throwing axes are VERY useful for fighting multiple enemies. If you are being approached by multiple enemies it is always best to walk backwards and make sure that you keep all of your enemies in FRONT of you so that you can parry their attacks. Then when they are least expecting it, pulling out a throwing axe when out of range will allow you to slap one in both of your opponents and get them low health, or even kill one of them, evening the odds. I mainly hit headshots, and while an acquired skill, makes throwing axes so deadly that they one-shot almost everything. Hitting a knight in the head with a throwing axe means they are just a stab away from death. Word of warning: You will NOT pull out your secondary when you run out of throwing axes, however illogical this is, you will pull out your primary. Be aware of this and be spamming both BLOCK AND 2, you don’t know how many times I manage to block with my weapon before I’m done pulling it out.
    Using a shield is a no-go for me because it’s LESS reliable than a parry. A parry you just have to aim in their general direction and it magically blocks, while a shield can be sliced around more easily.

4: Ducking. Ducking is VERY useful and you should duck at all times that you are not moving, it can also help get around a shield. Slicing that MaA’s health away by ducking under his shield is the way I get most of my opponents. If another knight is dumb enough to actually USE the kite shield he just just asking to be duck-sliced. One of my main combos is to move in towards my opponent but NOT to attack, and when I see them winding up I hug them really close on the correct side (remember the first part) and duck, slice, switch sides, finish my combo, and if they aren’t dead overhead or stab (stab if they have just been stunned or do not have a shield).

5: Kicks. Kicks are the ace up your sleeve. If all else fails, kick and stab (slice if they are an idiot or group of idiots). Be weary of your surroundings, make sure you know where ledges are. If you’re being harassed by a group and there is a non-fatal but still hindering ledge nearby, don’t be afraid to kick your opponents out of range to separate one from the group.

6: Stamina. Stamina gaming is also one way of outlasting an opponent who just won’t seem to get hit, or a group of opponents. If someone is parrying all of your attacks and staying out of range, just pretend to miss or something that wont get you hit and go on the defensive, back up and basically feign being “scared.” You’re going to bleed them dry. Let them get hit after hit while you parry their attacks, don’t use anything that would consume stamina and wait until you hear their character make the heavy breathing noise, that’s when you strike, preferably with a simple stab (no fancy tricks) then go in for the big combo. When they parry your stab they’ll be stamina-stunned and will be unable to do anything against you. Remember, if you’ve got a lot of stamina and they’ve got none, spam combos, they can’t parry them and will just end up getting stun-locked.

Remember your attack speeds, and your weapon’s damage modifiers. Some weapons get more damage from the overhead than others, and this method of fighting is not for those kind of weapons.

PS. I know this is my first post, I was really writing this guide for my friend after they said they couldn’t find a decent, text based Knight guide and asked me for help. Don’t judge a book by how many books the author has written before. I really wish I could make a video to show exactly how WELL this plays but unless my computer suddenly stops sucking hardcore I won’t be able to record any videos.
    P.S.S I wish I didn’t spawn with my primary, throwing my throwing axes then pulling out my primary is a death wish sometimes…

• A very interesting “manual” you´ve written, sir.
    I have a number of questions for you:

1. What is the incentive for you to not use the primaries?
    2. Why does the shield not suite your playstyle? What if you fall for your opponent´s feint?
    3. What secondaries are the best for the knight class?

• @funthomass:

1. What is the incentive for you to not use the primaries?

First off, I use the secondary primarily because it makes you much more versatile on the field. The Knight’s number one “hinderance” is that he is the slowest class, and everyone expects him to be slow. If you play as a fast knight, you will tear down your enemies.

@funthomass:

1. Why does the shield not suite your playstyle? What if you fall for your opponent´s feint?

The shield is much less reliable than parrying, and there are two things about parrying: If you’re parrying early enough to be caught by a feint, you’re doing it wrong. Secondly, if they have a slower weapon than they do and you see them winding up, you can probably swing or overhead and hit them before they strike, stunning them. You don’t even need to parry. Furthermore, if you’re using a fast secondary weapon, you can use footwork to back up in the opposite direction of their swing allowing you more time for a second parry if they feint. Feint > Swing is so slow it really isn’t even worth it because a competent player can double parry in time.

@funthomass:

1. What secondaries are the best for the knight class?

The Falchion is the all-around powerhouse of the knight’s secondary. It has better stats overall than the mace, and has a bit less reach than the flange but reach is not a necessary part of the playstyle being instructed here, but if you JUST have to have that reach, go for the broadsword. Norse Sword is terrible in my opinion. Also, if you’re dedicated to using a primary, but have trouble dealing with archers who parry quickly, go for the Holy Water Sprinker. It’s so fast it can basically stun-lock anything provided you stay within range.
    I personally use the Falchion, Throwing Axes, and Messer.

• Nice guide. I primarily use shield + falchion. I never thought, nor have i ever seen any knight using a 1h sword and no shield. The only reason i started using shields cause i’m a sucker for getting feinted. Any tips on getting passes or countering feinters?

• I took as primary a long sword, using it 2H or 1H vs archer and MAA with shield
    seconde mace for kill knight or have fst attack
    Shield : the normal shield for don’t lost to much speed

Perfect versability

• @Ozymandias:

@funthomass:

1. Why does the shield not suite your playstyle? What if you fall for your opponent´s feint?

The shield is much less reliable than parrying, and there are two things about parrying: If you’re parrying early enough to be caught by a feint, you’re doing it wrong. Secondly, if they have a slower weapon than they do and you see them winding up, you can probably swing or overhead and hit them before they strike, stunning them. You don’t even need to parry. […].

No one needs to block if they just hit trade all day. Such a joke.

• couple of questions;

1. Duck, what is the key strokes to do this? or are you just talking about crouching? I see lots of people mention Duck but not how to do it.

2. Why not use the Warhammer as your primary weapon? The stats are pretty close to the Falcon you use, so if use up your axes you will have a weapon close to what you are use to.

• Ducking rarely seems to work for me. especially against MaA

• Full of misinformation. If you stand around parrying , you’re going to run out of stamina and your opponent will not spend any- it costs you stamina to parry the attack, but no stamina is spent on an attack that connects. Ducking all the time will get your face smashed in, and slow you down when you’re attempting to close distance on an opponent. Kick’s primary usage is to get through a parry or block, not to move opponents around.

Not trying to be harsh and I appreciate the effort, but you should check your sources first.

• Adding to what cringe said, a kick then a overhead is more better imo. the shield is out of the way, and u can get an easy headshot.

• @Watt:

Adding to what cringe said, a kick then a overhead is more better imo. the shield is out of the way, and u can get an easy headshot.

except kicks have been slowed down, MaA can still easily dodge, and opponents aren’t staggered enough to get an overhead in.