Fix the insane shield-advantage

• First to qualify my suggestions here; I’ve played this game for, as of today, 227 hours. I’m rank 37. I’m a sufficiently good player that I’m normally top of the scoreboard. I say this mostly so you don’t tell me to go play more - I know what I’m talking about.

Having said that, my problem is with shields. Specifically high-skill fights involving shields, and normally involving experienced/skillful players who know how to exploit something that’s basically broken.

The real issue is perhaps not shields, but feinting. In this game, at high level combat, feinting is almost everything. If you feint enough and fast enough, very few (if any) can actually react to it. This leads to the block exploit being used a lot by high rank players too, but that is a separate issue. The point is, feinting is super powerful, and shields seem to negate it almost effortlessly - and without any cost. The only cost I can really see is that it blocks a bit of your view, which is irrelevant since probably more than 1/2 of players use thirdperson view anyway.

If one person has a shield and the other doesn’t, and both are equal in skill, then what will be the outcome? Well you still have speed, reflexes, positioning, etcetera as factors in who will win and it’d be wrong to say that someone with a shield will always win. But what is true is that they have an immense advantage (if the fight involves feinting, and it almost always does).

Person A with shield can still feint all they like. Person B without shield can feint too. The difference is, Person B’s feints will only be useful for tricking Person A into blocking in the wrong direction (let’s say, overhead + feint + slash, changes location of the attack and can hit, but generally wont). By contrast Person A can feint all they like, and Person B has to contend with both guessing when to block, or reacting extremely quickly in the split second that you realize they aren’t feinting, and they have to be aware of positioning their reticle in the right location to properly block. Normally I don’t consider feinting that big of a problem in an even fight with no shields, because both have this problem. But when has a shield… it’s like it nullifies your biggest weakness in a fight - without any cost at all.

How can this be balanced? What is the point of not using a shield when it makes it at least three times easier to avoid feints (the biggest cause of death in a high-end fight), without any appreciable penalty on movement, speed, damage, etc?

• Search function is your friend : viewtopic.php?f=80&t=7707

(and that is not even the first thread, only the most recent)

• Faint then kick. Big deal.

• Kicks. Also, try to feint against a warband veteran. It just wont work.

• Kicks…really? Best case scenario, you kick them. It takes their block down for a second. Then their block is back up before you can hit. That is a noob tactic that never works; shields or not. And worst case scenario, they step backwards slightly and you miss, then get hit. How is that supposed to be a solution to such blatant imbalance?

And sorry if this has been posted before, but it’s worth bringing up again anyway. I feel like it’s an issue that doesn’t get much attention because the number of people who it effects are dwarfed by newbs for whom a shield or not has no importance. But if you ever want to see competitive play… this has to be fixed, somehow.

Also I can appreciate that there’s some incredibly good warband players around. But whether or not they can react to feints isn’t really relevant; I’m pretty good at reacting to feints now too. It’s a case of huge imbalance - one player has to become a champion at reacting and the other just has to hold rmb and aim. I’d be inclined to give shield users more leeway if 1st person was enforced, but it almost never is. And it’s not that hard to use a kite shield with 120 fov anyway.

• 227 hours and you still don’t know how to get around a shield. Wow.

• I think the annoying part is you cant slash at the other side of the person, fix that and the shield issue goes away.

• Not sure if this is what OP is mentioning exactly, but many top-tier players know of this. 'Mechanic Bypass’

dETfCw2Amwk

The admin team are aware of this, and hopefully will patch it ASAP.

• A lot of things with shields are being fixed in the next patch.

• @SlyGoat:

A lot of things with shields are being fixed in the next patch.

Like the introduction of flails. That’ll fix 'em…

• @Slaughtervomit:

@SlyGoat:

A lot of things with shields are being fixed in the next patch.

Like the introduction of flails. That’ll fix 'em…

Flails actually do fix shields. Unpredictable and fast. They can get around shield. They don’t even need to jump overhand to get over your shield. So always look up slightly blocking flails with shields. Or when your blocking a horizontal swing look left don’t just block. Takes some getting used too.

The only thing that can’t hit someone after you kick their shield down are daggers. But they are then too far away to stab them.

• @lemonater47:

227 hours and you still don’t know how to get around a shield. Wow.

Lol, my thoughts exactly. I have no problem with shields and I only have 60hrs played. ESPECIALLY since I read something about planning to make kick stun long enough to hit them if kicked while blocking with a shield.

• Turtling behind a shield is just another strategy, it isn’t really broken in any way since as mentioned it’s not that tough to bypass. If you’re struggling to bypass it with slower, longer weapons, that’s what your secondaries are for. MAAs rip shield players apart.

• @Mint:

Turtling behind a shield is just another strategy, it isn’t really broken in any way since as mentioned it’s not that tough to bypass. If you’re struggling to bypass it with slower, longer weapons, that’s what your secondaries are for. MAAs rip shield players apart.

Not in all cases. I’ve played against rank 30+ MAAs that can’t get past my kite shield and morningstar, or even my maul.

• As a shield user I have a real problem with the pointy things that people use.

• I don’t know why you are complaining. There are only 2 reasons I ever use a shield. Blocking projectiles and fighting people who feint a lot. Isn’t one of the reasons to use a shield to counter feints? Also, Dane ax overhead great for shield breaking.

• @AllShallPerish:

I don’t know why you are complaining. There are only 2 reasons I ever use a shield. Blocking projectiles and fighting people who feint a lot. Isn’t one of the reasons to use a shield to counter feints? Also, Dane ax overhead great for shield breaking.

MaA Dane in general, does for me most of the time.