I think that the battleground map..

• was supposed to be like stonesvillage? where, after you push the cart in as agatha you need to kill the mason king?

am i correct? if so why was it scrapped? this has been bugging me for a while now i want to know more about this

• It wasn’t in the initial plans for the map, which is a remake of an AOC map, and one of the first maps for CMW. As far as why it was never added later:

Well have you read the hobbit?

This thing all things devours:
    Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
    Gnaws iron, bites steel;
    Grinds hard stones to meal;
    Slays king, ruins town,
    And beats high mountain down.

What am I?

Edit: Sorry, I am ultra tired and stuff.

• In citadel you get to kill the mason king. More fitting place for him him be too. In The ruins of a citidel after a recent volcanic eruption where no one would have thought to look for him.

General Malric looks awesome by the way.

I like multiplayer games with backstory, makes you feel more in the game.

• @Andrew:

It wasn’t in the initial plans for the map, which is a remake of an AOC map, and one of the first maps for CMW. As far as why it was never added later:

Gnaws iron, bites steel;
    Slays king, ruins town,

What am I?

The trouble is that I think that is everyone’s least favourite map. The ‘push the cart’ objective is fine for a while but this one is bad for three reasons:

1. It takes ages
    2. It is hard (you need to push past mason spawn point essentially)
    3. There is no 3rd objective. It REALLY feels like something needs to be there. To be honest, if I am playing TO and the next round is battlegrounds, I usually leave.

• @Bloodhead:

@Andrew:

It wasn’t in the initial plans for the map, which is a remake of an AOC map, and one of the first maps for CMW. As far as why it was never added later:

Gnaws iron, bites steel;
    Slays king, ruins town,

What am I?

The trouble is that I think that is everyone’s least favourite map. The ‘push the cart’ objective is fine for a while but this one is bad for three reasons:

1. It takes ages
    2. It is hard (you need to push past mason spawn point essentially)
    3. There is no 3rd objective. It REALLY feels like something needs to be there. To be honest, if I am playing TO and the next round is battlegrounds, I usually leave.

I’ll echo that sentiment. First objective is really quite easy, very rarely do I fail it, and that is fine. 2nd is balls difficult. It moves slow and if it stops right before the alley it is ass to try and push it further due to the short walk for Masons. Even then, though, I feel like there is more to do after breaching the castle. It almost plays like a traditional story/climax timeline. You have the fast easy beginning with mounting difficulty and tension as you push the cart to the door and then it explodes! Huge fun there. Except it stops. There is no resolution to it when it feels like there should be more action and logically there should be more. Since when does a castle siege end with a breach in the wall?

My personal suggestion would be to have another objective afterword of moderate difficulty and short time. This should keep it from dragging on too much and give it that finality it needs.

• We need a kill the king objective mode with 15 minute time limit and the team who scores the most kills on the king will win. <3

• I’ve definitely felt it needs another objective. It seems like an incomplete “story” to me.

It needs a finale inside the grounds.

If killing the Mason king is already a part of Citadel then perhaps instead it should be killing the Mason royal family to mirror Dark Forest.

• @AngryDave:

I’ve definitely felt it needs another objective. It seems like an incomplete “story” to me.

It needs a finale inside the grounds.

If killing the Mason king is already a part of Citadel then perhaps instead it should be killing the Mason royal family to mirror Dark Forest.

How about liberate the people and kill the traitors.

Something agatha would do.

• Kill townspeople, burn the city, rescue prisoners, kill Malric’s family - ANYTHING as long as it has a third objective of some kind. It jst feels SO incomplete without one, especially since the push the cart objective is such a drag (pun not intended).

• @Bloodhead:

Kill townspeople, burn the city, rescue prisoners, kill Malric’s family - ANYTHING as long as it has a third objective of some kind. It jst feels SO incomplete without one, especially since the push the cart objective is such a drag (pun not intended).

It should probably make context in the lore of the map, so killing townspeople or Malric’s family might be a stretch. How about borrowing the flag mechanic and have Agatha raise a flag? Represents the retaking of the city and hasn’t been done visually in the team objective format.

! @Environments:
    !
    !
    ! > The Agathian army finally makes a push to take back their capitol city. The fighting has raged for three days, the surrounding lands have been ravaged and the worst is still yet to come. As Agathian engineers put the final touches on their secret weapon the last remaining Mason resources are under threat with the Agathian army launching their final and most devastating assault on their once glorious city.
    !
    !

• Actually yes those suggestions of freeing prisoners or capturing the city are a better fit for Agatha.

• @Corsair:

It should probably make context in the lore of the map, so killing townspeople or Malric’s family might be a stretch. How about borrowing the flag mechanic and have Agatha raise a flag? Represents the retaking of the city and hasn’t been done visually in the team objective format.

I like this idea, incorporate a KOTH style objective as the third objective. The second objective is hard, but I like that. Battlegrounds is actually one of my favorite maps (although I love them all).