Hosting a Beta server

• Developer

Setup is almost exactly the same as hosting a normal server, so check out the normal server guide first.

Downloading / Updating

If you’re using SteamCMD to download/update the server files

Use the following to sync up to the “Beta” branch instead of the “Default” branch:

app_update 220070 -beta "Beta"

If you’re using the Steam desktop client to download/update server files

Right click on the Chivalry Dedicated Server in your Library. Click on Betas, then choose “Beta” from the combo box.

If you only have control panel access to your server, you will need to talk to your server operator

Config Setup

You need to find

GameDir=chivalrymedievalwarfare

in PCServer-UDKEngine.ini

and change it to

GameDir=chivalrymedievalwarfarebeta

Otherwise, the server will not show up in the server browser.

• What does this mean?

Explain it to me as if I was a two year old.

When I update my server I cannot type console commands.

• Developer

This is the command you need to run if you use SteamCMD to update your server files. If you use the Steam desktop client, you opt into the beta the same way you do with the client beta (right click, properties, beta,…).

After that, you just replace the existing files and run this as normal.

If you only have control panel access to your server, you will need to talk to your server operator.

• Developer

Thing the second:

You may need to add this line into PCServer-UDKGame.ini:

DefaultMapPrefixes=(Prefix="AOCDUEL",bUsesCommonPackage=False,GameType="AOC.AOCDUEL")

under [Engine.GameInfo] and anywhere else you find DefaultMapPrefixes.

I say may because there’s code to automatically add this, but uh, whether it actually works… (would be great if you could try it without first, and tell us how it goes. Yay beta :D )

• Sounds cool. We know of a handful of clients that were interested in running beta servers. Hopefully this will uncover more bugs and issues that can be fixed much faster! :)

Keep it up TB :)

• Has anyone got this to work?

• I have got a beta server online now. Works for me but I have no idea whether others can join.

It should be accessible through the browser but I only saw it once of the multiple tries.
    “open 82.168.77.78” (maybe with :7777 or :7778 behind it) might work also.

• Thanks, works fine and others can join it.

The new DefaultMapPrefixes for duel mode has been added automatically, by the way.

• Developer

You now need to find

and change it to

Otherwise, you update beta servers for the new separate beta app the same way as before.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

You now need to find

and change it to

Otherwise, you update beta servers for the new separate beta app the same way as before.

Hi there,

doesn’t work for me. When trying to join, there’s a package mismatch (keeps displaying the “you don’t have that downloadable content…” message). In fact, I can join that “beta” server with the live version.

Shouldn’t you be required to get the files from 232210 (beta app)? Right now this one only distributes the client ones.

• Developer

@Sir:

@CrustaceanSoup:

You now need to find

and change it to

Hi there,

doesn’t work for me. When trying to join, there’s a package mismatch (keeps displaying the “you don’t have that downloadable content…” message). In fact, I can join that “beta” server with the live version.

Shouldn’t you be required to get the files from 232210 (beta app)? Right now this one only distributes the client ones.

No, you need to get the files from the Beta branch of 220070, as described in the first post (I’ve edited it to hopefully make it a bit more clear). Changing the config file alone won’t do anything.

It’s possible that at the time you did this, we didn’t have an active beta build going or didn’t have the server build up publicly. Our build process is far smoother now, and we don’t plan on having significant beta down time any longer.

• thanks, i think i had my display for post options only set for recent threads… so i missed this.

• " the host has downloadable content you do not "

After following all the instructions