Duel Game-mode

• I’m sort of disappointed by the Duel game-mode. I’ll try to keep my opinion brief.

What I would have liked:
    I enter a server, I see a player, I solicit that player to duel with a war cry, he then accepts the duel with his own war cry or declines with another action. The duel starts and all other players in the map become invisible to us. They can still see us, but they are unable to interrupt us in any way. A blue shroud around our player models or some sort of icon above our heads indicates to them that we are in a duel.
    What I got
    A clunky menu which takes away the personal feeling of challenging someone to a duel, and which prevents players not in spectator mode from watching others duel.

More about my ideal duel mode
    What I described above was the duel mode from JKII and JKA. Though the combat system in those games was awful, the duel mode was great and enabled a sense of community. Maps were used as lobbies for clan members and friends to talk to each other, hang out or mess around. Those wishing to duel could do so without being interrupted and those not engaged in their own duels could walk around the map and watch others duelling. I think this would have been great for Chivalry.

Please do know that I extremely appreciate all the effort that has gone in this game, and that I will find a way to enjoy it no matter how you choose to implement duel mode. I simply think this is a more elegant solution.

• I totally agree with you. I was really looking forward to duel mode, and although it’s fun and the maps are creative, the personal touch is totally lost on me. I much prefer entering a server and being able to walk around and pick an opponent for myself. :)

• I really prefer this current duelmode, they should make a “tournament” mode based upon how the duel mode works. that would be amazing.

• @wildwulfy:

I really prefer this current duelmode, they should make a “tournament” mode based upon how the duel mode works. that would be amazing.

A tournament mode based on how the current duel mode works, and make a real duel mode that is similar to how Blade Symphony FFA works. Where you are walking around and can challenge people to duels. Or you can do random FFA if you want, but while in a duel no one can attack you.

Heck both of blade symphonies game modes are superior to the current duel mode D:

The maps are cool though on the plus side.

• Hold on, no one is forcing you to use duel mode. You can still set up default ffa duel servers.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Hold on, no one is forcing you to use duel mode. You can still set up default ffa duel servers.

Thats missing the point entirely. Using FFA mode as a duel mode was only a makeshift solution while we waited for a proper duel mode that allowed players to duel without fear of interruption. The current duel mode is superior to what was used before, but I think a lot of us had something else in mind. Something which is much simpler and elegant. The system I’m suggesting is used by many different games and it works great.

• Legion has a duel server. And I moderate it often to ensure duels are taking place. TBH, I kind of prefer the walking around seeing who’s dueling and challenging people. Just might push to keep our server as a throwback duel server.

• @PedroFromHell:

@rumpelstiltskin:

Hold on, no one is forcing you to use duel mode. You can still set up default ffa duel servers.

Thats missing the point entirely. Using FFA mode as a duel mode was only a makeshift solution while we waited for a proper duel mode that allowed players to duel without fear of interruption. The current duel mode is superior to what was used before, but I think a lot of us had something else in mind. Something which is much simpler and elegant. The system I’m suggesting is used by many different games and it works great.

Play on highly moderated servers like for ex. IO duel server.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@PedroFromHell:

@rumpelstiltskin:

Play on highly moderated servers like for ex. IO duel server.

I hear you but wouldn’t it be better if the real duel mode was improved in a manner we would all enjoy instead of just settling for moderated FFA?
    To be honest my main gripe with FFA duel is the round time limit. All the duel mode needed was for players duelling to not be interrupted and for the time limit to be removed.

• I have to agree with PedroFromHell’s post. Personally I like the current informal duel-mode-by-labeling-a-FFA-server best. I think it builds camaraderie even more when you occasionally have to chase around some idiot who isn’t honoring the dueling.

But if there is to be a duel mode, it ought to be an open interface something like PedroFromHell describes. I release that is more work to develop, but I’d rather wait for Content Update 2 for such a duel mode than see the current one be released.

• I also feel like the new duel mode is more of a sterile tournament environment. Great for competitive play, but not as much fun. I really love the fact that the vast majority of players respect the duel servers and keep things civilized. This in itself attracts me to play on duel servers.
    I don’t like the “you can have it your way if you want” - argument. Sure, you can set up your own servers, but I’ve seen this happen way too often in similarly designed games where the community ends up splitting into dozens of different game modes and once the initial hype dissipates you’re left with only a hand full of people playing the respecting modes and soon enough you’ll have a hard time finding any games at all.
    I feel a little bad because there obviously has gone a lot of work into making the duel mode, when something really simple like a server message when you log on that explains duel mode to you, and a notification a minute before the timer ends would have been enough for most players… and maybe more open maps with spawn locations very close to the battle.
    But I also understand that if you wanted to introduce an elo ranking and proper matchmaking later it would be much messier with that system, and having ranked play is vital for the longevity of a competitive game.
    While I prefer the current FFA/duel maps, I must admit I don’t have a great idea how you could arrange it with a proper ranked duelling system.

• Have you guys tried the new interface on the duel mode with beta build 3? It’s a lot better than it used to be, you can see who’s currently dueling, their score, and it works almost perfectly. Only bug left is chat sometimes getting stuck.

• @Stillbjorn:

Have you guys tried the new interface on the duel mode with beta build 3? It’s a lot better than it used to be, you can see who’s currently dueling, their score, and it works almost perfectly. Only bug left is chat sometimes getting stuck.

Sure it’s better than it was but I still think the system we’re suggesting would be much better. It’s frustrating because you can tell the devs put a lot of effort and work into the current duel mode, but unfortunately they didn’t consider the JKA style which would have been much simpler and closer to what the player base is used to.

• I’m fine with the way Duel mode works on beta 3. Only thing I want is a ping display in the menu somehow.

• I’ve continued to try out the duel mode, and I really continue to find it much less fun than dueling the old way. The non-openness / non-immersiveness is the main thing, but there’s a number of other dislikeable things about it:

1. that period where you spawn but cannot move until it says “Fight” is just annoying.
    2. the claustrophobic maps
    3. the fact that the popup interface is entirely inconsistent with the existing tab pop up. That we can’t see people’s ping and other info is the most important practical thing, but the UI really ought to be more consistent and not just be this entirely different interface for this one mode.

I know, whine, whine, whine, but this is my honest feedback.

• I would love the Jedi Knight Academy form of dueling. The current dueling mode should be for competitive play only, but for normal every day dueling I would prefer this:

-All players on servers do no damage and have noclip (can’t block or hit anyone) until they are challenged.
    -To challenge a player you press “C” or taunt while having your mouse over them.
    A screen will popup and they can choose 1. to accept or 2. to decline 3. block challenges from this user for remainder of session ( good for people who keeps spamming challenge on you, if you would like to accept their challenge, just rejoin the duel server)
    -Once accepted the two players can now do damage to each other.
    -After every dueling match, the winner will be restored to full HP after 3 seconds.
    -First player to hit “X” kills will win
    -In case of a tie, the 2 players who are tied will challenge one another for the match.

Dueling maps will be on flat surface maps with little to no terrain interference.

• I was really hoping to see something similar to jedi outcast or jedi academy as well. Something to keep the social aspect of duel servers, while facilitating easier duels.

• I have to agree with OP. A more personal, free roaming duel mode would be a lot better. If you want to keep the current duel mode in for tournaments and such that’s fine though.

• I just wanted to add that another thing the current duel mode prevents while the JKA system allows is 2v2 duels. Or 1v3 or however you want to organise yourselves to have a bit of fun.

• Also, a server ought to be able to mix dueling games in with other game modes. This is what you cannot do with an informal duel mode communicated only by the server name. (It’s not clear to me whether the current beta duel mode allows this.)

I’ve realized how absolutely simple an open duel mode could be. Duels could be started and accepted more or less the same way they are in informal duels, except you would have to focus (red dot thingy) to make it clear to the game who you are challenging. The game would just have to track who is in a duel with who, and only count kills and damage on a duel opponent toward your score. Kills and damage on anyone you are not dueling would count as team damage / TKs. No need to straightjacket players when they aren’t dueling, no need to make everyone noclip, that just breaks the sense of immersion. No need for blue shrouds around duelers, everyone can see they are dueling. At most, let the text that shows when you focus on someone indicate who they are dueling. No need for extra menus.

This would maximize player freedom and immersion, and consistency with other game modes.