One word: Mantlet

• We need these on the attacking team in Team Objective for stopping arrows, and advancing. Rite? Would be pretty cool, eh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantlet

• Isn’t that what shields are for? ;)

• But I play Vanguard and feel left out :(

• Yeah it certainly can be a pain being a vanguard with a lot of archers about. I feel like the smoke pots need to be more effective- wider and taller.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some sort of pushable barrier. The cart usually makes for an effective arrow shield when advancing but maybe some maps could be designed with optional pushables that provide cover but are not necessarily part of the objective.

• Some of the smokepot tatics we have seen in the beta have made it seem questionable that they even need a buff.

Proper application of them can result in some……

Rather intense stomping.

• Smoke pots imo are pretty situational at best. They blind you as well as your target. Most archers could just move out/around the cloud.

Battlefields are too unpredictable for them to be of any great use.

• @Stillbjorn:

But I play Vanguard and feel left out :(

That’s a vanguards trade off. They have no protection from archers and are relatively easy to hit. But they are high damage high lethality killing machines when they get to the enemy.

A good archer knows to take them out first in a group. As they do the most damage to your team.

Smoke pots can be useful at throwing at archers. It means they have to move from their spot. Also on stoneshill throwing smoke when your team is battering Down the gate.

Real pro skills is when you kill someone with smoke. I haven’t seen it done but you do take as much damage as a kick when you get hit by a smoke pot.

• @Stillbjorn:

Smoke pots imo are pretty situational at best. They blind you as well as your target. Most archers could just move out/around the cloud.

Battlefields are too unpredictable for them to be of any great use.

I like smoking the area I intend to be fighting in:

Fighting in a smoked zone is a skill of its own, if you know how to hit opponents in a smoky area… You can put yourself at a huge advantage over enemies that may outnumber you grossly.

Certain defensive measures become godlike when fighting foes who do not know how to make you appear from your smokey cacooon.

At a chokepoint, smokepots can be used to hide zerg rushes, allowing you to run into an enemy who isn’t expecting an attack and kill them before they realize whats going on.

And, when used in masses, archers become useless when a field becomes sufficiently smoked.

• Archers was intended to be a big counter for the Vanguard since the start.

• I swear to god I read the title as “One word: Manlet”.

• @Wingy:

I swear to god I read the title as “One word: Manlet”.

Manlets belong in the tiny men subforum.