Spectating shouldn't take a player slot.

• Title pretty much says it all.

Why would an invisible neutral flying camera take up a slot of a player? Does it at all effect performance if there were a bunch of them even though they’re invisible? I just would like to be able to go spectate and watch a big battle without taking up a slot of a player (making the teams uneven by 1 since I’m taking up a slot).

I feel like I should be able to join on a full server to just have the spectate option. This way, say my friend is playing but his server is full, I can go watch him and troll him in skype every time he gets raped. (spectators shouldn’t have chat option though to avoid trolling other players) But also as a more practical use, I could spectate until someone leaves then I can take that guys spot once he leaves so I can play with my friend. If nothing else, I could watch a big war for entertainment while I eat dinner or am bored and don’t feel like playing but want to watch some MEDIEVAL DEATH DEALING!!!

I may be ignorant of the downsides of letting people do this. Idk if it would raise ping or cpu load for the players if there were a bunch of spectators, so if I’m overlooking problems with this idea let me know. Otherwise Show some support for this idea maybe we can get it put in! :D

I’d do a poll but I have no clue how to.

• If it can be done; do it.

• While there is no character model or interaction, I would imagine there would be some additional strain on the server as it still needs to send and receive information to your computer and any others that are spectating.

Information doesn’t need to be sent to other players, but their information being sent to you would include some resources for the server, while sending it to the players actually playing…… it would also still have to calculate where you are viewing and where you are moving.

So while not taking as much resources for your spectating slot, it would still need to use some.

How much, I don’t know.

Maybe if one spectator took half a slot, that might be ok.

I have played a few games that didn’t count spectators as a player slot, but those were also with different engines.

shrug

As Reginhard said… if it can be done, I’m for it.

• Yeah just been thinking about this. Being able to spectate games without taking up a player slot would be pretty cool.

I don’t know there’s any way it could be implemented so that servers could dedicate some of their slots to spectating only. Say if a 24 player server actually had 28 slots with 4 slots reserved for spectating only.

• @AngryDave:

Yeah just been thinking about this. Being able to spectate games without taking up a player slot would be pretty cool.

I don’t know there’s any way it could be implemented so that servers could dedicate some of their slots to spectating only. Say if a 24 player server actually had 28 slots with 4 slots reserved for spectating only.

Yeah I didn’t think of that. They could just set aside “spectate” slots I guess. But then again I still don’t know the technicalities of it. If it would effect performance much then nevermind it, but if it would be very minimal or no performance hit then I don’t see why not.

• I support this idea because spectating is almost as fun as playing. About polls, look below your typing box when posting a topic and click the tab “Poll Creation”. I think you can still edit a poll in.

• Correct, spectating or not, the server still has to render your position and movements. You are a client connection, just like any player and transmit data back and forth like one as well.

There is a MaxSpectator config option, although I haven’t noticed it to work at all yet.

• @JHoersten2:

Correct, spectating or not, the server still has to render your position and movements. You are a client connection, just like any player and transmit data back and forth like one as well.

There is a MaxSpectator config option, although I haven’t noticed it to work at all yet.

So hosts might already be able to allow it?

PS: added a poll so everyone vote!

• special “spectator-only” slots?

• @Reginhard:

If it can be done; do it.