[KNIGHT] Type all tricks here to kill a 1337 MAA as knight

• waiting impatiently

• Work togther with your team. Do not split up and fight him alone.

If you are equally skilled you can also try to exhaust him by forcing a prolonged fight.

• Kite Shield with quick one hander. Be sure you are really good at blocking. When I say good, I mean GOOD! You need to be able to turn quickly to cover slashes and pokes from the sides, as well as the jumping overheads.

Once you are good with all those child’s play tactics to get around a shield. Just press the MAA hard and force them to use a ton of stamina to stay away from you. Once they are low on stamina, start throwing your attacks with feints mixed in, to either hurt them or make them waste even more of their precious stamina.

Once they are low on stamina, they become a Knight who forgot to wear his armor. This is when you fight him like any other opponent, meaning you attack hard forcing him to block followed by feints to kill him.

I will also sometimes bait their attack by throwing an attack far from them, feinting and then stabbing them when they dodge in.

• I main MAA. I’m only Rank 30 with about 90 hours, so I’m definitely not a 1337 MAA. I can only talk from my own personal experiences.

Basically, the things I have most trouble with are:

-Longer weapons. I at times find it difficult to deal with those using the longer reaching weapons. Especially when I encounter someone with a long weapon who is actually THINKING about what he’s doing and isn’t rhythmatically swinging at the air. Basically, MAAs like distance. Exploit your reach to negate some of that. NOTE: This applies more to Vanguards than Knights so eh. :/

-People who actually know how to use shields. An MAA’s speed allows him to get around shields very easily, but for those that actually know when I’m coming in from the sides, when I’m trying to bait him to face the wrong way, when to back off from an incoming kick, the shield becomes very obnoxious to deal with. An MAA shouldn’t be staying in one place for too long so if he’s stuck trying to kill you, chances are a team mate of yours will eventually arrive and then he has to deal with both of you.

Identify the type of MAA you’re fighting.
    *If he’s weilding the Heater Shield, he is going to block, then attack, block, attack, block, attack. He might occasionally shield bash. You’ll likely need to know how to bypass shields to deal with this type of MAA. Don’t bother kicking for guard break unless you’re SURE his reflexes are terrible. Your weapons are usually too slow to actually hit him after the kick.(May change in patch?)

*MAAs that do not use a shield will typically not even bother parrying you unless they absolutely have to. (They typically won’t have to.)

*If he’s not using the shield, watch the way he moves at you. Is he constantly sprinting? If he’s using one of the axes, these guys tend to like running back and forth, smacking you with the axe as they come by. Either time your attacks and punt them as they arrive, or start moving around more. You basically don’t want to be too defensive against him.

*If he’s not using the shield, and is dodging a lot, this is where things get tricky. You need to anticipate when he’s coming in for a strike and swing so that he dodges INTO your blade. Be VERY careful though. These MAAs prefer to be reactive so if you swing randomly, you might be giving him a free hit on you. These type of MAAs exploit distance a lot better than the others. He will suddenly be in your face with a strike, suddenly disengage outside of your effective range, ready to abruptly attack again.

*If he’s weilding the Buckler, then why isn’t he a corpse yet?

Lastly, MAAs have more trouble depending on how many people are around them, INCLUDING their teammates. Force a situation where he has to deal with multiple targets, but DO NOT LET HIM BAIT YOU INTO engaging him in a conga line of DEATH, STABS and SORROW. You want to all be engaging him at once, preferably from multiple sides.

• as vanguard i have killed lots of them just by poking with the fork, but alot harder with knight …they jump in just when i started the swing, and stab me 3 times quickly :?

• lvl 29 maa here. whoever said buckler sucks… lol

anyway

run towards them with a sword. purposefully stab & miss, combo into an overhand which will 1 shot the maa.

it’ll work on almost all of them

• @Crum1y:

lvl 29 maa here. whoever said buckler sucks… lol

anyway

run towards them with a sword. purposefully stab & miss, combo into an overhand which will 1 shot the maa.

Buckler is trash. If you know how to parry/dodge, you’ll be just fine without that useless thing… Plus you can use fire or knives!!!

• @DemonicChocobo:

*If he’s not using the shield, and is dodging a lot, this is where things get tricky. You need to anticipate when he’s coming in for a strike and swing so that he dodges INTO your blade. Be VERY careful though. These MAAs prefer to be reactive so if you swing randomly, you might be giving him a free hit on you. These type of MAAs exploit distance a lot better than the others. He will suddenly be in your face with a strike, suddenly disengage outside of your effective range, ready to abruptly attack again.

If he has problems with your random MAA, trying to predict an Attack is what will get him killed and
    while he also gets random wins (random = not good), he wont get better overall.

What you need to know:
    1)MAA arent that much faster than you, if you run (if they backpaddel they are slower than a running kight even with dodge)
    2)MAA have barely enough stamina to kill a knight if hes not defending himself
    3)While a Knight can regenrate in a fight , a MAA will rarely get enough hp to absorb another hit
    from the smaler weapons

As Knight you have to be the one who pressures.
    Even if he just blocks his stamina will not recover.
    So that he cant dodge you have to get realy close or you have to run at midrange (which increases your range)
    MAA are weak to feinting because the take fewer hit than anyone
    Finaly dont swing wildly arround its killing you

There are Tricks (here only the most usefull and related):

Lure him into your attack:
    Do a swing and cancel it , do a new attack

If your opponent was wayting for an misstake an your part , he might charge in, leaving him no time to see that you canceld your attack

The to high swing:
    You need to be in range so that he has to block.
    You do a swing but do it so high that it flys over his head and follow with an downlook overhead
    There are more varinats that all have in common that you miss a certain attack and follow
    with a combo

Feinting:
    Run at him while feinting while waving your body in all directions (basicly an exploid because noone can see what you are doing) once he blocks time your attack accordingly or just select a good point to stop feinting

Greedy style:
    Normaly players take turn attacking and defending, put there are many greedy players that will attack again after their opponent blocks.
    This can actually work against MAA if done correct.
    There is two situations:
    Your opponet is trying to hit past your shild , walking arround your left side.
    Its very easy to notice and it takes maybe half a second or more, so hit him with a jump overhead.
    Even if he tries to block, its the type of attack that barely anyone is able to block while you are in this perfect position.
    Second, sometimes then you are locked in close combat take a step back, suprisingly that makes many miss, giving you the chance to kill them

Weapon choise:
    Best Broadsword / Morning star /Sword of War (all with shild)

I might add more or remove spelling misstakes

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Crum1y:

lvl 29 maa here. whoever said buckler sucks… lol

anyway

Buckler is trash. If you know how to parry/dodge, you’ll be just fine without that useless thing… Plus you can use fire or knives!!!

All i play is Ffa. buckler is worth it
    EDIT, the shield bash is better. maybe not on paper but it is

• Honestly, this may not be a particularly reliable tactic, but I’ve killed plenty of high-ish level MAA (by public server standards, you know, along the lines of rank 30) using this:

Feinting at shielded MAA. I use a poleaxe almost exclusively, and it still works. As the MAA has his shield up, I just take a random swing and feint, they immediately drop the shield, but another attack is already coming, and they get hit. I don’t really know why it keeps working, even on high ranked players.

• I am not saying I am very good at being a knight, but this is what I have learned in the past weekend.

1. Man at Arms have fire pots, they kill knights very quickly. In team matches don’t be the first knight across the arena, “it burns”. I also think because I was at top of list after first round they were looking for me, because I was burning within 30sec. in the next two rounds until I started hanging back.

2. Combo swing! that back hand does them in, but stab if they are being group attacked. You are less likely to hit your team, but watch out for those wild swings from your team, can’t tell you how many times I got killed by my own team.

3. You have 4 movement keys A W D and S, use the S key. I found that it was very easy to keep the W key down and use the A & D keys, back up once and awhile surprises the hell out of them.

4. Never fight alone, you are not superman, the more people you have with you the better off you are. I had much more fun when I kept with my friend and I saw some teams that had 4 man groups in hunter killer packs very hard to stay alive with them around, you go after 1 and the other 3 close in behind you. (Danger Will Robinson, Danger)

• If only the MaA couldnt 2-3 shot a knight in no time. I am sick of being stunlocked by these overpowered little punks. They need a hardcounter of some sort, or their dodge needs to use a lot more stamina.

• @Mashuu:

If only the MaA couldnt 2-3 shot a knight in no time. I am sick of being stunlocked by these overpowered little punks. They need a hardcounter of some sort, or their dodge needs to use a lot more stamina.

Uh. As of now, there are no MAA weapons that can two shot Knights. The only fast one hander that can two shot Knights is Cudgel and only if you’re playing as Archer and get 2 overhanded headshots(overheadshots?) from behind(overheadshotbackstab!).

Also you can’t even really be stunlocked by an MAA unless you’re spamming/mistiming parry and get punished by a double overhead combo with Broadsword(And I think that even then, the second one CAN be blocked if you’re quick enough.) What’s likely happening is that you’re losing your cool and panicking causing you to repeatedly miss your parries and ultimately making you dead.

• fighting an MMA as a knight, the key is distance. Keep him at then end of your sword. Once the MMA closes to the ‘in your face’ stage, he will start comboing like crazy and you will need to be on your feet with the parrys. HINT: DON’T LET THIS HAPPEN. Watch the MAA’s feet. If you two are doing the dance of death, watch to see when he begins to move forward. As soon as you see the MAA is moving in to strike, you need so throw out a LMB attack. If you can anticipate when he will come in to strike, you will have him every time.

What to do when you and the MAA are at the ‘in your face’ stage, you will need to throw out a kick, most likely. This is a great way to get some distance. Chances are you may have landed a strike on him at this point. If you have struck the MAA and you now are both at distance again, pull out your secondary and finish him off with haste.

Here’s another great tip. A lot of people assume that you and your opponent need to ‘trade’ blows. For some reason people assume that the order is, I strike, you strike, I strike, you strike, in rhythm. This is easily exploited, and no where does it say you need to maintain this order. I like to build that rhythm for a few exchanges, and then change it up, either by throwing out a quick follow up attack, OR delaying your own attack. Sometimes people will parry before I even respond, leaving them open and dead. OR they will decide to strike themselves, which also leaves them open to attack if you can time an attack to land before theirs.

• Run away, quickly spin around and stab him or wind up your maul

• Oh and my original post about using a shield and attacking the MAA, with the new kick mechanic it is too risky, so just ignore that lol.

• What do you do when the MAA is inside you and LMB spamming?

• @Goatamon:

Honestly, this may not be a particularly reliable tactic, but I’ve killed plenty of high-ish level MAA (by public server standards, you know, along the lines of rank 30) using this:

Feinting at shielded MAA. I use a poleaxe almost exclusively, and it still works. As the MAA has his shield up, I just take a random swing and feint, they immediately drop the shield, but another attack is already coming, and they get hit. I don’t really know why it keeps working, even on high ranked players.

They can’t see it coming is why it works. As in the attack after your feint appears, on their screen, to be nearly instant. And here’s why: 80ms ping x 3 (assuming 80ms as a conservative average) = 1/4 of a second advantage…it might even be 4 x 80ms? which would be 1/3 of a second.
    So basically there’s lag and you do your first playful swing, but you hit feint which is instant cancel of attack, the player is happily looking at your first swing on his screen but lo and behold on your screen your already winding up, so what he sees is:
    wind up, faint at the last moment (due to lag), followed up by a follow through with no wind up. He does not get to see the second windup due to the hole created by even the tiny 80ms ping. I guess you also have to add the other players reaction time.

• @giantyak:

@Goatamon:

Honestly, this may not be a particularly reliable tactic, but I’ve killed plenty of high-ish level MAA (by public server standards, you know, along the lines of rank 30) using this:

They can’t see it coming is why it works. As in the attack after your feint appears, on their screen, to be nearly instant. And here’s why: 80ms ping x 3 (assuming 80ms as a conservative average) = 1/4 of a second advantage…it might even be 4 x 80ms? which would be 1/3 of a second.
    So basically there’s lag and you do your first playful swing, but you hit feint which is instant cancel of attack, the player is happily looking at your first swing on his screen but lo and behold on your screen your already winding up, so what he sees is:
    wind up, faint at the last moment (due to lag), followed up by a follow through with no wind up. He does not get to see the second windup due to the hole created by even the tiny 80ms ping. I guess you also have to add the other players reaction time.

As an MAA player who has been killed by this, it isn’t the ping. Trying to re-raise your shield before it completely lowers actually locks it out. So I’ve made my move to drop my shield, see the feint, and r click again to raise it. But it doesn’t. As such now if I’m commited to being in range I will just block the attack rather than risk being hit.

As for tactics against me and mine? Don’t. Fucking. Miss. That is the biggest thing. Your main weapons are slow, and we are fast little buggers with dodge making it even easier. The second you miss you are going to get hit. It’s okay if you get parried (you’ll outlast their stamina) but missing is just godawful for you. In most cases I will suggest you switch to your secondary if MAAs are that troublesome for you. Missing is no longer sure to get you hit, though a crafty player may still get a hit in. But it’s easier to parry and your attacks are much faster.

• Footwork. I generally keep inside or outside their dodge range to prevent the dodge and strike attacks. On duel servers I use the environment so that they cannot use the dodge as easily to their advantage.