Team Objective Unbalance

• My favorite mode is TO, but I have never seen the attacking team win, not even once. It’s kind of a turnoff knowing that whether I win or not is decided by the team I pick at the beginning of the match, rather than my perfomance at the time.

• How many games have you played? 'Cuase I’ve played plenty and won plenty as attacker. Can’t speak to a ratio, though. But I’ve won more than my fair share.

• Steam says I played 7 hours, so about 20 matches? I’d expect at least one of them to be a win for the offense, especially seeing as it often has more points than the defense.

• I’ve mostly experienced the attacking team winning, unless it’s on that map where you kill the Agathan king (archers in the throneroom? Deathtrap.)

Maybe you’ve just been unlucky?

• I played around 120 hours, always trying to be in attacking team and in 80% matches we won. I think you just had poor teammates ;)

• Forming an opinion after a few hours seems foolish to me.

• @ganonlink:

Steam says I played 7 hours, so about 20 matches? I’d expect at least one of them to be a win for the offense, especially seeing as it often has more points than the defense.

Only 7 hours? Yeesh. Seriously, I think your teammates were just bad and didn’t know how to cooperate.

• Heh, yes there are plenty of attacker wins when I play. I’ve seen it go both ways. Generally the winning team is usually the one that can dominate most of the terrain on the map. By this I mean if you are defending you want to force the attackers all the way back to their spawn and keep them there. If you are attacking you want to push the attackers all the way back to their spawn while your team completes the objective. You simply need to play more (and maybe on different servers) to see both sides.

• I know 7 hours isn’t much, but I figured it’d be enough to at least see the attack win. I guess I’m just the unluckiest son of a bitch in the world then.

• @ganonlink:

I know 7 hours isn’t much, but I figured it’d be enough to at least see the attack win. I guess I’m just the unluckiest son of a bitch in the world then.

No, definitely not the unluckiest, just moderately unlucky.

• @ganonlink:

I have never seen the attacking team win

Guess we’ve found your problem. You haven’t
    A. Played long enough yet to witness the attackers win
    B. Played with a good team to win

I’ve clocked some 105h in Chivalry and I play TO almost exclusively, and I’ve seen the attackers win a plenty. Ever map there is I’ve seen them win and loose. If you keep not winning as the attackers, don’t start blaming it on unbalance, blame it on incompetance.

• @ganonlink:

I know 7 hours isn’t much, but I figured it’d be enough to at least see the attack win. I guess I’m just the unluckiest son of a bitch in the world then.

Might be a free weekend thing. I’ve been playing with mostly new players on both teams all day and people on either side don’t really care for the objective, which often results in stalemates in the defense’s favor. I’m sure this will get better as new players figure out how the TO maps work.

• In most of the maps the teamwork is needed to complete the objectives. When most of the players are focused on actual combat - because that’s why they are playing the game for - forgetting about objectives you won’t see attackers win just because of this. With more experienced players I’ve found that it’s actually harder to defend (with some exceptions, like the Hillside because of how you’ve to destroy the trebuchets).

• Team Objective takes a lot more teamwork on the part of the attackers, but when the teams are actually coordinated offense usually wins, even with closely matched teams - hence why competitive TO matches aren’t measured by whether you win or lose, but by playing the map twice and seeing which team wins fastest (unless it’s a total shutout because one team is much better).

• @Torrenz:

@ganonlink:

Might be a free weekend thing. I’ve been playing with mostly new players on both teams all day and people on either side don’t really care for the objective, which often results in stalemates in the defense’s favor. I’m sure this will get better as new players figure out how the TO maps work.

Yeah probably this. Its roughly 50/50 over time, though I think hillside is a little skewed in favor of the defenders for the first objective. The last objective is a joke though for attackers.

• TO is my favourite mode also.
    I have won plenty of attacking phases, however, i have noticed an irritating habit that some veteran players often tend to pick the defending side which is frustrating as the defending side typically has a small, small, advantage over the attacking side so its a pity when the veteran players stack up on the defending side.
    That said you’ll normally have at least 1 or 2 veteran players on the attacking side which prevents the game from becoming a joke.

It is not much fun on the occasion where when one team severely out balances (in terms of skill) another and the attacking team can’t even get beyond the first phase. Still the lesson to be learned there is to change the mix of classes on the losing side if this is happening. People should consider that!!!

• @ganonlink:

My favorite mode is TO, but I have never seen the attacking team win, not even once. It’s kind of a turnoff knowing that whether I win or not is decided by the team I pick at the beginning of the match, rather than my perfomance at the time.

With the flood of ne players and the free weekend, TO results can be a bit skewed, as the new players don’t neccessarily understand what they are suppose to do.

This goes to both sides of the fight. Anything that random maulling can get you through tends to favor the attackers, look at the cart fights, alot of the new people don;t realize that though they cannot push the cart back that there must be more attackers on it than denfenders for it to move forward.

Instead they just run around killing the first attacker they see spreading themselves out allowing one or 2 people to push the cart forward.

If it appears that your team does not understand th bjective, or how to counter the attack simply tell them, chat is a usefull tool.

• @nsweetman:

With the flood of new players and the free weekend, TO results can be a bit skewed, as the new players don’t necessarily understand what they are suppose to do.

This goes to both sides of the fight. Anything that random mauling can get you through tends to favor the attackers, look at the cart fights, a lot of the new people don;t realize that though they cannot push the cart back that there must be more attackers on it than defenders for it to move forward.

Instead they just run around killing the first attacker they see spreading themselves out allowing one or 2 people to push the cart forward.

If it appears that your team does not understand the objective, or how to counter the attack simply tell them, chat is a useful tool.

This. This is so very much true on any pub server, currently.

• From my experience, predominantly on full 32 player servers, most players actually go for the objective and understand what needs to be done, when to fight and when to push. When I say most, I mean a little more than half.

This is quite good, given the nature of the game.

The biggest imbalance I face from time to time is my team having simply too many archers. If we’re attacking, nobody actually pushes and goes for the objective, and when we are defending, the knight/vanguard team simply ploughs through the map while the archers cannot stop them with their low DPS.

As a matter of fact, archers in competitive games only carry their weight when the map is favourable and when they are really really good. In all other circumstances, it’s simply better to go for a full melee team and outmuscle the enemy.

• I think TO isn’t unbalanced at all. That being said, I think defending is harder, but I think that comes with the territory.

From experience, I’ve seen attackers win more often than not. Once they break the line, its very hard to compensate as a defender, especially if your team is any bit disorganized or out for only kills.

TO is probably my favorite game mode, as a defender or as an attacker. Sometimes it can be very frustrating, especially when your team is completely unorganized as a defender and you get steamrolled as you feel like you’re the only one playing the game. But Defender can be the most fun as well with a great team, that feeling when the attacker is so desperate to get to the pyre to light it up with a torch that they are just running through everybody just to get slaughtered is probably the best feeling ever, lmao.