Video Problems

• Hello.

When I load up the game (free Steam weekend to try it), I get red textures as shown in my http://i.imgur.com/2EPIOa9.jpg screen shot/capture. I tried fiddling with the video options even at their lowest! I have seen this happened in another Unreal engine game, Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, during its free Steam weekend that I never got resolved.

Also, how come the game doesn’t let me go to 1280x1024 resolution on my old LCD 5:4 monitor through its VGA connection, but can with DVI?

My detailed primary WIndows machine’s specifications can be found in http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt

Thank you in advance. :)

• @ant:

Hello.

When I load up the game (free Steam weekend to try it), I get red textures as shown in my http://i.imgur.com/2EPIOa9.jpg screen shot/capture. I tried fiddling with the video options even at their lowest! I have seen this happened in another Unreal engine game, Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, during its free Steam weekend that I never got resolved.

Also, how come the game doesn’t let me go to 1280x1024 resolution on my old LCD 5:4 monitor through its VGA connection, but can with DVI?

My detailed primary WIndows machine’s specifications can be found in http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt

Neat screenshot! Reminds me of leaves in autumn.

The problem:

MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD 4870 512 MB (using
    a very old ATI Catalyst driver v9.4 since newer drivers cause Windows
    XP’s clock to slow down with DVI and rare, random hard lock ups;

Need the latest Catalyst drivers. I hope that you can figure it out with your lock up issues…

• @ReMixx:

@ant:

Hello.

Neat screenshot! Reminds me of leaves in autumn.

The problem:

MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD 4870 512 MB (using
    a very old ATI Catalyst driver v9.4 since newer drivers cause Windows
    XP’s clock to slow down with DVI and rare, random hard lock ups;

Need the latest Catalyst drivers. I hope that you can figure it out with your lock up issues…

Oh well, thanks anyways. I don’t know why my computer likes to lock up with the newer drivers. :(

• @ant:

Oh well, thanks anyways. I don’t know why my computer likes to lock up with the newer drivers. :(

Not sure what to say there :(

Have you tried the latest Catalyst drivers? I think they’re on version 13 or something now.

• @ReMixx:

@ant:

Not sure what to say there :(

Have you tried the latest Catalyst drivers? I think they’re on version 13 or something now.

Ah, a new one. Hmm, no changelog. FYI with previous drivers:

8.10 = no problems except games’ video signal losses and corruptions!
    9.3 = no time slow down with DVI with videos; did not test for lock ups
    *9.4 = no time slow down with DVI with videos; testing for lock ups from videos
    9.5 = time slowed down with DVI with videos; did not test for lock ups
    9.6 = time slowed down with DVI with videos; did not test for lock ups
    9.9 = time slowed down with DVI with videos; did not test for lock ups
    10.8 = time slowed down with DVI with videos; did not test for lock ups
    12.x = time slowed down with DVI with videos; locked up hard with videos
    12.6 = time slowed down with DVI with videos; did not test for lock ups

I doubt 13.1 fixed the problems, but I need to read its changes. According to rage3d forums, there are problems with CCC. Yikes.

• @ant:

I doubt 13.1 fixed the problems, but I need to read its changes. According to rage3d forums, there are problems with CCC. Yikes.

That’s beyond my expertise… I don’t know why DVI would slow down video vs VGA (I assume that’s what you are comparing) unless it has to do with the converter/KVM that you’re using? I just briefly scanned your specs so I may have that wrong.

• @ReMixx:

@ant:

That’s beyond my expertise… I don’t know why DVI would slow down video vs VGA (I assume that’s what you are comparing) unless it has to do with the converter/KVM that you’re using? I just briefly scanned your specs so I may have that wrong.

According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33994195 … it is a known XP bug/issue. The more severe problem is the hard crashes/lock ups with videos. :(

• @ant:

@ReMixx:

@ant:

According to http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33994195 … it is a known XP bug/issue. The more severe problem is the hard crashes/lock ups with videos. :(

I guess an upgrade to Win 7 is in your foreseeable future (before they make it so that you can’t buy it anymore because of Win 8)? :?

• Weird. I came home and retried the game again. It worked. No weird colors. Maybe leaving the game on for over five hours overnight (was downloading and told Steam to go ahead and automatically launch it) was a bad idea. However, the advanced training guy got stuck after talking to me. :(

• @ant:

Weird. I came home and retried the game again. It worked. No weird colors. Maybe leaving the game on for over five hours overnight (was downloading and told Steam to go ahead and automatically launch it) was a bad idea. However, the advanced training guy got stuck after talking to me. :(

The advanced training guy is known to cause issues at the moment…

But is it fixed for playing multiplayer (the core game) and against bots in single player? Can I mark this solved? ;)

• @ReMixx:

@ant:

Weird. I came home and retried the game again. It worked. No weird colors. Maybe leaving the game on for over five hours overnight (was downloading and told Steam to go ahead and automatically launch it) was a bad idea. However, the advanced training guy got stuck after talking to me. :(

The advanced training guy is known to cause issues at the moment…

But is it fixed for playing multiplayer (the core game) and against bots in single player? Can I mark this solved? ;)

Woohoo. I finally could play it before its free weekend ended. I played for almost 2.2222… hours without these video issues! However, the game got choppy when too many things were happening on my 1280x1024 screen (all details high). Maybe playing on 64 players is a bad idea even though my pings were good (e.g., <70 ms). And yes, I am still using old v9.4 video driver.

Also, the tutorial is still buggy! :(