An easy way to create servers is a MUST!

• I’m tired of not being able to play alone with my friends and I’m tired of all servers being full when theres a sale on chivalry! A way to easily set up your own server would fix this!

Now some will flame me and say: Just f***ing download the dedicated server from steam!

Well I have. And there are no instructions on how to set it up. Not in the program or on the internet. The text file you get to customise it is like 50 pages long and the basic stuff are hidden behind all the advanced.

So, what I would like is the developers to put some time off to create an easy way to set up your own server.

Am I really the only one who likes to play on your own server with friends without the risks of being interrupted?

• Oi mate,

I also have some friends who wanted to play alone to practice. There is actually not much to make it work. In the server operator’s section there is a document with the basic stuff you need.

First go here and download the serverdoc.pdf
    viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3137
    I don’t know how to link, but just paste it in the adress bar instead of the usual.
    Then download the serverpack through steam -> tools, but you knew that.
    Then do the alterations the serverdoc mentions in the correct files (make sure you do them in chivalry_ded_server folder and not the regular chivalry folder).
    This document covers all basic stuff from the amount of players to the use of VAC on your server.

OR

If you’re in a hurry just alter these things and you are good to go

• alter the target of the UDK.exe file:
      chivalry_ded_server\Binaries\Win32**\UDK.exe AOCFFA-Arena3_P?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver**

• In chivalry_ded_server\UDKGame\Config\PCserver-UDKGame.ini (so not UDKGame.ini) you can alter the name of the server and it’s welcome message under [Engine.GameReplicationInfo].

• Under [Engine.AccessControl] (if it isn’t there create it, I inserted it after [Engine.GameInfo] ) you can set the passwords.
      GamePassword=
      AdminPassword=

So you have a server with a name and a password to play on. If you want to change more, the serverdoc handles the basics and is not 50 pages of advanced stuff ;)
    I hope this helps… I struggled too in the creation of the thing at the beginning.

Edit: N.B. the server may not always appear in the server browser, make sure you have your IP so people can connect through “open [insert IP here]”.

Edit2: Just run the UDK.exe file you changed the target of, you will simkply see a CMD screen not mentioning any text, this is correct. As long as the black screen is open, your server is running (I do not know how to see details of your server from outside the game)

• Developer

We’re planning to beef up the dedicated server documentation, and find a way to make it more visible; it needs updating with the new features from Content Update 1 anyways.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

We’re planning to beef up the dedicated server documentation, and find a way to make it more visible; it needs updating with the new features from Content Update 1 anyways.

Are there any plans on adding some sort of UI for the basic settings to make it easier to get a server up and running? I’ve been thinking about making one myself but won’t bother if there’s already plans for one.

• @Nivve:

Oi mate,

I also have some friends who wanted to play alone to practice. There is actually not much to make it work. In the server operator’s section there is a document with the basic stuff you need.

First go here and download the serverdoc.pdf
    viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3137
    I don’t know how to link, but just paste it in the adress bar instead of the usual.
    Then download the serverpack through steam -> tools, but you knew that.
    Then do the alterations the serverdoc mentions in the correct files (make sure you do them in chivalry_ded_server folder and not the regular chivalry folder).
    This document covers all basic stuff from the amount of players to the use of VAC on your server.

OR

If you’re in a hurry just alter these things and you are good to go

• alter the target of the UDK.exe file:
      chivalry_ded_server\Binaries\Win32**\UDK.exe AOCFFA-Arena3_P?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver**

• In chivalry_ded_server\UDKGame\Config\PCserver-UDKGame.ini (so not UDKGame.ini) you can alter the name of the server and it’s welcome message under [Engine.GameReplicationInfo].

• Under [Engine.AccessControl] (if it isn’t there create it, I inserted it after [Engine.GameInfo] ) you can set the passwords.
      GamePassword=
      AdminPassword=

So you have a server with a name and a password to play on. If you want to change more, the serverdoc handles the basics and is not 50 pages of advanced stuff ;)
    I hope this helps… I struggled too in the creation of the thing at the beginning.

Edit: N.B. the server may not always appear in the server browser, make sure you have your IP so people can connect through “open [insert IP here]”.

Edit2: Just run the UDK.exe file you changed the target of, you will simkply see a CMD screen not mentioning any text, this is correct. As long as the black screen is open, your server is running (I do not know how to see details of your server from outside the game)

Thank you so much for your answer! it helped alot!

• @CrustaceanSoup:

Yeah as he said, a menu option would be great. You know, you get in the game, below “Join Server” there is a new option called “Create Server” when you press this is automatically minimizes the game and opens the dedicated server tool of Chivalry. Plus, the dedicated server tool just comes with a GUI that you can use to easily select the basic settings of your server (name, password, amount of players, VAC or not, and nothing more), and would make everyone happy. Obviously advanced things like, lower gravity, would have to be coded by the server admin and such, so that doesn’t have to be in the GUI, but with the basic 4 things I mentioned it’s already enough for us “common” folks that want to simply have a private server without worrying much.

• @slibbfalusken:

Thank you so much for your answer! it helped alot!

I am glad I could help :D

• Dear forum moderators… would it be a good idea to sticky a thread like this in the general discussion?
    I already posted it on the steam discussion (not much use, too much clutter of useless subjects) and especially with the influx of players it appears that nobody can actually find what I answered to the OP in this thread.

I think these are the main causes.
    1. The ‘tutorial’* is in the server operator’s hub, which is invisible if you go to the chivalry part of the forum. (Accounting for future games or something?)
    2. The ‘tutorial’ is a document posted as an attachment. Although the document is complete, the context of the thread it is placed in suggest it is very outdated (speaking about the pre-release beta and not yet released dedicated servers…) and the post itself is just one sentence.

Maybe I also missed it, but I found no other tutorial in the forum. So I think it would be a very good idea to sticky something like this thread in the general discussion or tactics & tutorials subforum, especially since it will enable people to install their own server in 5 minutes.
    (change title of course)

The least you could do is expanding the ‘tutorial’ thread so that it actually looks like a helpful (short) guide on setting up a server.

*viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3137

• As soon as I open my server it leaves and says that “the connection to the host has been lost”. Please help.

• Do moderators actually moderate the server operator’s hub?