[SOLVED] Chivalry won't start "32-bit dx9 not responding"

• I just downloaded this game on steam for the free weekend and I am excited to play.
    Sadly, when I launch the game, it just sits at the opening window and stops responding.

Please respond asap!

• Bump because I was hoping to play this tonight, assuming I can run it.

• bump, still needing help by the end of tonight, I wanna try this game and see if I wanna buy it.

• Two things. Grab the latest video drivers from Nvidia’s website (from January 2013). Then if that still doesn’t help, try launching the game from the UDK.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32) instead of from Steam to see if we get different results (hopefully a crash instead of a hang).

• @ReMixx:

Two things. Grab the latest video drivers from Nvidia’s website (from January 2013). Then if that still doesn’t help, try launching the game from the UDK.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32) instead of from Steam to see if we get different results (hopefully a crash instead of a hang).

I have done both of these and it still just gives me a hang. :(

• @Puffmuffin:

@ReMixx:

Two things. Grab the latest video drivers from Nvidia’s website (from January 2013). Then if that still doesn’t help, try launching the game from the UDK.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32) instead of from Steam to see if we get different results (hopefully a crash instead of a hang).

How long are you letting it go?

• @ReMixx:

@Puffmuffin:

@ReMixx:

How long are you letting it go?

Usually 10-20 seconds then I open task manager and close it. The first time it happened I waited over a minute.

Because you said that I waited a little longer and this popped up.
    “Failed to create the D3D9 Device! This can happen if the desktop is locked.
    Exiting…”

• @Puffmuffin:

Exiting…”

Bingo! Now we’re getting somewhere.

Please attach a new Launch.log and the crash .dmp file (same place as Launch.log).

From the read first support thread (try these):

The game crashes with "“Failed to create the D3D9 Device! This can happen if the desktop is locked. Exiting…”, or the game minimizes and can’t be reopened
    There’s two standard causes for this.

1. The game is trying to start in an unsupported resolution.

Right click on the game in your Steam library. Click “Properties”. Click “Set Launch Options”. Add:

-resx=1280 -resy=720

(replace 1280 and 720 with your desktop resolution’s width / height)

1. Some other software is stealing focus away from the game or otherwise interrupting it as it’s trying to go into fullscreen mode. You should be able to start in windowed mode, however:

To start in “Borderless windowed” mode (spans your entire screen like fullscreen mode does): Right click on the game in your Steam library. Click “Properties”. Click “Set Launch Options”. Add:

-borderless -resx=1280 -resy=720

Replacing 1280 and 720 with your desired resolution’s horizontal and vertical dimensions.

To start in normal windowed mode instead, add:
    -windowed

• @ReMixx:

@Puffmuffin:

Exiting…”

Bingo! Now we’re getting somewhere.

Please attach a new Launch.log and the crash .dmp file (same place as Launch.log).

From the read first support thread (try these):

The game crashes with "“Failed to create the D3D9 Device! This can happen if the desktop is locked. Exiting…”, or the game minimizes and can’t be reopened
    There’s two standard causes for this.

1. The game is trying to start in an unsupported resolution.

Right click on the game in your Steam library. Click “Properties”. Click “Set Launch Options”. Add:

-resx=1280 -resy=720

(replace 1280 and 720 with your desktop resolution’s width / height)

1. Some other software is stealing focus away from the game or otherwise interrupting it as it’s trying to go into fullscreen mode. You should be able to start in windowed mode, however:

To start in “Borderless windowed” mode (spans your entire screen like fullscreen mode does): Right click on the game in your Steam library. Click “Properties”. Click “Set Launch Options”. Add:

-borderless -resx=1280 -resy=720

Replacing 1280 and 720 with your desired resolution’s horizontal and vertical dimensions.

To start in normal windowed mode instead, add:
    -windowed

I set “-borderless -resx=1280 -resy=720”.

I updated the launch log in the first post on the thread. But while I was typing this, the game finally started after about 2 minutes of sitting at that screen! :D Thanks for your help!

• @Puffmuffin:

I set “-borderless -resx=1280 -resy=720”.

I updated the launch log in the first post on the thread. But while I was typing this, the game finally started after about 2 minutes of sitting at that screen! :D Thanks for your help!

Awesome! I believe you can go back to full screen if you want as long as you set the resolution in-game to match your monitor’s native resolution. You can do that from the UDKSystemSettings.ini (Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config) as well.

• I downloaded this game on steam .
    Sadly, when I launch the game, it just sits at the opening window and stops responding.

Please respond asap!
    :(