Rock Paper Scissors gameplay: The evolution of feints.

• You see it at the sales.
    Those days, blind swinging, combos and dashing… Chaos. The need for feints has yet to arisen.

Then came parries.

People living and countering attacks.

Revolutionary.
    Sexy.

With these parries came a need to counter the counter.
    Then came the feint.
    The feint allowed people to get around defenses, but got you killed when you were attacked in a feint.

Crude.
    Efficient.

The circle of rock paper scissors had been complete.

The idea of the feint works because your opponent expects attack.

Yet, has anyone noticed that half of all people have stopped expecting your first attack to be a real attack due to feints? Making both feints and normal attacks unreliable means of hitting your target?

However, all expect an attack to immediately follow a feint, and will universally try to parry when they realize that the counterattack is coming, or double parry to catch their mistake of having been fooled by the first hit, hoping for a miracle.
    They know what it means to have fallen for it.

Then it comes…

A feint…
    Followed by the start of a sprint…
    THIS HAS TO BE THE ATTACK!

Flying foot walrus used feint X2!
    HEADCHOP! Super effective!

Double feint, Parried 0 times as of 1-25-2013.

Edit: I was going to add the real topic after someone asked what the point is, but ill get to it instead…

How many feints do you think this community will get to until attacks first become the predominant pubstomp strategy once more?

• I’ve seen plenty of people chain a bunch of feints for no reason. There was once a Knight that was basically doing the wave while moving at me. It was hilarious. Regardless, double feints really aren’t a big deal.

How to pubstomp as well as bypass feints/parries/all the things that exist forever:
    1.) Play MAA.
    2.) Push V.

• @DemonicChocobo:

I’ve seen plenty of people chain a bunch of feints for no reason. There was once a Knight that was basically doing the wave while moving at me. It was hilarious. Regardless, double feints really aren’t a big deal.

How to pubstomp as well as bypass feints/parries/all the things that exist forever:
    1.) Play MAA.
    2.) Push V.

Against knights and vanguards, these are king.
    And hilarious, they make me want to commentate on my game…. When only I can hear.

Against MMA, their weapons are so short that its best to attack them to get their shield up, and jumpkick them, then kill them.

In the end, feints are like a Vneck competition.

Or paper in rock paper scissors:
    Nobody expects you to use it, but they get wise slowly when you spam it.
    Little kids come, pre built, wise to it.

Except that feint spamming makes it exceptionally easy to feint-feint-parry.

• @WalrusJones:

You see it at the sales.
    Those days, blind swinging, combos and dashing… Chaos. The need for feints has yet to arisen.

Then came parries.

People living and countering attacks.

Revolutionary.
    Sexy.

With these parries came a need to counter the counter.
    Then came the feint.
    The feint allowed people to get around defenses, but got you killed when you were attacked in a feint.

Crude.
    Efficient.

The circle of rock paper scissors had been complete.

The idea of the feint works because your opponent expects attack.

Yet, has anyone noticed that half of all people have stopped expecting your first attack to be a real attack due to feints? Making both feints and normal attacks unreliable means of hitting your target?

However, all expect an attack to immediately follow a feint, and will universally try to parry when they realize that the counterattack is coming, or double parry to catch their mistake of having been fooled by the first hit, hoping for a miracle.
    They know what it means to have fallen for it.

Then it comes…

A feint…
    Followed by the start of a sprint…
    THIS HAS TO BE THE ATTACK!

Flying foot walrus used feint X2!
    HEADCHOP! Super effective!

Double feint, Parried 0 times as of 1-25-2013.

Edit: I was going to add the real topic after someone asked what the point is, but ill get to it instead…

How many feints do you think this community will get to until attacks first become the predominant pubstomp strategy once more?

If you never feint, they’ll be forced to parry every time. So, don’t feint, try to get around their parry/block. If you fail 2 to 3 times, try a feint for a parry, or a feint/change direction for a block. The speed of your weapon and how close to them you are, both affect the success of any feint. Which is why Halberd’s retarded super speed/length stab is so effective at feinting.

• There are so many ways around a parry that feint just looks cheap!

• @DeminRamst:

If you never feint, they’ll be forced to parry every time. So, don’t feint, try to get around their parry/block. If you fail 2 to 3 times, try a feint for a parry, or a feint/change direction for a block. The speed of your weapon and how close to them you are, both affect the success of any feint. Which is why Halberd’s retarded super speed/length stab is so effective at feinting.

…… The point of the double feint is that EVERYONE attacks after their first feint, sprinting is a believable indicator that a real attack is coming as well:

Thus, the feint-sprint-feint is basically totally reliable for breaking a parry/block. Especially if you use a spear/polarm, where it looks like you are going to your resting position, and NOT stabbing (The one handed axes alt overheads do this too, The Greatswords overhead is the closest to giving this appearance, but still obvious.)

The point of the rock paper scissors gameplay is that taking the most unexpected move will generally succeed almost 100% of the time.

Attacking around your opponents guard is nice, but not nearly as satisfying.
    Being smarter is so much better.

And currently, Feint->Attack is so absolute, so indigenous to the current metagame that not only will people fall for a total aversion of this pattern every time, but people are unable to memorize who breaks this outside of dual mode because of that baseline feint-strike pattern being so prevalent.

• @DemonicChocobo:

I’ve seen plenty of people chain a bunch of feints for no reason. There was once a Knight that was basically doing the wave while moving at me. It was hilarious. Regardless, double feints really aren’t a big deal.

1.) Play MAA.
    2.) Push V.

Playing as a Vanguard I love catching newer MAAs with the “golf swing” overhead combo after baiting them with the first overhead.

• @InsaneOne:

@DemonicChocobo:

1.) Play MAA.
    2.) Push V.

Playing as a Vanguard I love catching newer MAAs with the “golf swing” overhead combo after baiting them with the first overhead.

Best attack in the entire game.

• @WalrusJones:

Falcon Punch*

Sorry.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@WalrusJones:

Falcon Punch*

Sorry.

Have to agree here

• @InsaneOne:

I find that golf swing is harder to land than the normal overhead but it is so much cooler. I will be looking forward to the alternate attacks in the patch so I can do that swing without having to combo (I assume that’s what the alt attack will actually be).

I just want to ball-split jumping/drop attack enemies with it hehe. :D

• Yeah, there’s something that just screams “fuck you” about that attack, not to mention the real world results of landing that with the billhook.

• @AngryDave:

@InsaneOne:

I find that golf swing is harder to land than the normal overhead but it is so much cooler. I will be looking forward to the alternate attacks in the patch so I can do that swing without having to combo (I assume that’s what the alt attack will actually be).

I just want to ball-split jumping/drop attack enemies with it hehe. :D

Its easier to land when it is the first swing:

It hits a little to your left side as well as what is, 80% of the time, under your opponents guard up close.

The golf swing isn’t so much a lifesaver against MAA, as opposed to a guaranteed hit.

• Hmmm… or what about a jumping lookdown golf swing to get them to block to high?

• @InsaneOne:

Hmmm… or what about a jumping lookdown golf swing to get them to block to high?

Just feint an overhead into a golf swing, the effect is the same, even if they call your feint, they still screw up the block expecting a stab.

• But jumping gives you extra style points don’t 'cha know? :D

• Feint too much and the good players will just swing at you instead.

Don’t forget long feints either, which everyone, even the best players, fall for sometimes.

For pubstomping, I generally open with a non-feinted attack to “train” my enemy into thinking this will be like every other fight he’s encountered. Then I try a quick feint, and if that doesn’t work, a normal attack again, followed by a long feint. Works 99% of the time, and honestly, due to this free weekend/50% sale, long feints aren’t even needed for me ATM lol.

Man I love pubstomping. It’s good for the soul.