Revival Leather Goods & Adkins Historical Reproductions

• I found this really cool site that has some period reproductions as well a this baddass plastic practice sword. Much of this is very affordable. Check it out.
    http://revival.us/

• what is this

• blatant advertising, i’d say.

• I don’t see how, as it’s relevant to Medieval stuff, which he thought we might be interested in, since we’re apparently medieval fans :P

It’s kinda like that guy who posted those medieval mugs that looked Chivalry-ish.

• lol I almost thought this was a spambot then until I saw the username.

• Who practices with a plastic sword? I mean really

• @Daiyuki:

Who practices with a plastic sword? I mean really

Well… >.>

• pff, your american medieval supply shops are weak.
    behold: http://www.battlemerchant.com

• @Kimiko:

I don’t see how, as it’s relevant to Medieval stuff, which he thought we might be interested in, since we’re apparently medieval fans :P

It’s still advertisement, and he’s posting it here because we’re the target comsumer group.

• @Daiyuki:

People who still have arms. :P

• It IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT…… UGh…

I used to do live steel weapon demonstrations for over 8 years in regional Renaissance festivals. I found a cool site that has some cool stuff and thought I would post it up as this is in the OFF TOPIC section but it is still valid. The prices are very reasonable specially for shoes. The gauntlets and practice sword looked interesting. IF you actually looked, they gave all the reasons for using a plastic weapon for practicing and they hold true, to be able to practice full power and speed.

Granted, in the states, we don’t have the artisans nor the history of the times like they do in Europe so we take what we can get as far as period stuff.

• Yeah it’s not being modded for advertising.

As long as there’s no personal or financial gain and the topic is relevant it’s all good. Medieval stuff here is ok in the off topic section.

• Yeah, I don’t know those guys from Adam. They just had some cool stuff. Wish I could get paid… hehe. I just really though people might get a kick out of stuff that is available. I still know of a few artisans from our local festival here in KC that make some badass swords. Hell for a while we were making our own out of spring steel, a grinder, and a torch. But for foils and epee blades it was easier to mail order back in the day. Now with online there are lots of options. While I have had my hands on almost every weapon in the game, I only own a few Epee blades.

• @BobT36:

@Daiyuki:

I didn’t know wood could disarm people in the literal sense, but you’d also have to be damn clumsy to injure yourself with a blunt sword =p

Just… just don’t spar with blunt claymores that you get at the Renaissance fair. Trust me xD

• @Daiyuki:

@BobT36:

@Daiyuki:

I didn’t know wood could disarm people in the literal sense, but you’d also have to be damn clumsy to injure yourself with a blunt sword =p

Just… just don’t spar with blunt claymores that you get at the Renaissance fair. Trust me xD

I almost lost my index finger to a claymore during a live demo when I missed my overhead block, 13 stitches around the knuckle. If it was sharp my finger would have shot out into the audience… lols

Wood does suck though as they can splinter and shatter. The bamboo Japanese practice weapons were nice, they hurt but they dont have the weight of a real sword.

There is also these guys that have even more stuff, check out some of their hardware, lots of cool stuff here ;
    http://www.bytheswordinc.com/

Holy shit these guys have some cool shit, 3 pages of period halberds!

• It’s perfectly possible to practice with steel blunts, but it’s best that you get some that are made for it. This line is freaking awesome, though out of my price range: http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/alb … aestro.htm

Wood works as well, though steel generally has the actual weight and feel of a real sword, which also allows you to use techniques that you generally can’t do with light, flimsy weapons like padded ones or bamboo shinai.

• @Daiyuki:

hahaha practice with plastic sword is just like as fight in dream. 8-)

• I can’t get over how small the bucklers are.

[image:a8yuk1ie]http://revival.us/ProductImages/cb_books/companion_cover_web.jpg[/image:a8yuk1ie]

That shield would not protect him.

And to think with FOV=60 my buckler covers the entire screen.

• Those are pretty accurate for buckler sizes. I have fought with both a buckler and “Florentine” style - Saber with dagger. I actually prefer Florentine as the dagger allows for parry damage and is a much faster fight! Bucklers and even daggers use the same principal of deflection instead of actual protection like a shield would. The same is very true in fencing with a little bell guard. A simple 2-3 degrees in deflection of an incoming thrust = a complete miss. Where as a “S” shape guard in a saber can not only deflect but with a well timed twist of the wrist, you can lock the incoming blade and with a quick pull can remove the weapon from your enemy’s hand. But this is just academic at this point.