Make arrows fired at close range non-effective

• I practice archery I also have a bow and fire from ranges reaching around 50 meters, I don’t have any problem with the zoom but please make archers,crosbow men realistic. Like if a knight shouts and comes at you with zeal every well minded person would panic and because of that miss the target. Thats my point of treating archers if someone comes close and personal you better run or bring out your dagger. I don’t think that in the heat of battle any archer would be so concentrated that would be able to kill a heavy knight trying to hit him from point blank range.

• So you’ve been in a medieval battlefield with a knight charging you and lost your nerve and missed your shot and died, huh? :?

• @SlyGoat:

So you’ve been in a medieval battlefield with a knight charging you and lost your nerve and missed your shot and died, huh? :?

Agreed! Would be a bit frustrating aiming and then without a 10 metre radius your cursor quickly moves away from the knights body haha.

Can see what are you saying though, realistically some archers would run. But it should be upto the player to decide whether or not they are going to hold their nerve or not :)

• And trust me when I say that if you don’t switch to your melee weapon when a knight (or any class really) is charging you up close, you will more than likely die without a chance to fight back.

• @SlyGoat:

And trust me when I say that if you don’t switch to your melee weapon when a knight (or any class really) is charging you up close, you will more than likely die without a chance to fight back.

Lolol tellin’ me! At that point ill either try and run around him in a circle hoping he misses his attack or duck down and hope for the best while drawing my side arm ;)

• Losing your accuracy would indeed be a bit too frustrating, but it would actually make sense, from a realism standpoint, to let arrows do less damage in very close range. When you see an arrow leaving a bow in slow-motion, you’ll see that the shaft ‘wobbles’ for a few meters. When the arrow hits armour while not straigtened out, it won’t deliver its kinetic energy in an efficient way and will often just glance off and break.

But, of course, realism alone is no reason to implement a feature, it must be good for gameplay as well. Now, if archers are perfectly balanced and “shotgunning” (rather than switching to melee in melee range, trying to get off another arrow) isn’t a valid option for them, no need to implement this. In AoC though, archer shotgunning did happen and it was quite annoying, so if Chivalry hasn’t resolved that issue, this may be a fairly easy fix.

• I can’t see why they should miss or do less damage, it’s up to the archer if they want to risk popping off another shot, although it might be a good idea for the guy in melee to be able to interrupt their attack (I don’t think the archer would fire too accurately when he’s got a sword stuck in him!). Oh and also I hope when shot by an arrow you don’t get knocked back like you do in AOC, it’s an arrow not a train.

• When you get hit, you have to re-nock your arrow. Shotgunning doesn’t exist if you use a shield because you can use the shove function (kick if you aren’t using a shield, shield push if you are using one) while your shield is up, meaning the archer has no opportunity to quickly shoot you while you’re dropping your shield and preparing for an attack. He’d have to be using a shortbow against a very slow weapon to be able to shoot you before you can hit him after shoving him. Actually I don’t even think any of the weapons that are usable with a shield are that slow; maybe the warhammer.

• Yea but for a heavy armored knight, you move slow you can’t do nothing to deffend your like a sitting duck waiting to get shot, a knight should be more powerful and deadly, like giving him a battle stance in which he cant run or to have a special charge that lets it run at the enemy and atack him. My point is with a new engine come more possibilities and knights dont act exactly as you would wish to. Why not extend the posibilities of engaging the enemy instead of making another copy of Age of Chivalry with better graphics. We need more features and more realistic gameplay we are in 2012 we should expect more from the game engines we are provided.

Or at least make a hardcore/realism mode for players who appreciate realism over classic arcadish battle. I dont say real life realism but more realistic features for the game wouldn’t upset anybody, you can still enjoy the arcadish experience even if you have such features at your hand(sword). So why have so low expectations?

• You say “arcadish” in a negative, and yet you describe things like “battle stance” and “special charge” which sounds incredibly arcadish to me.

• Actually just like a gun the maximum power of the projectile is right after it leaves the weapon (i.e. it only loses power over distance starting from the end of the barrel or the “strait” part of a bow) so damage wise the weapons should do more damage up close. Accuracy I think can be argued for with the usual “movement = inaccuracy” thing since you’d have to swing your weapon around to face the new threat.

A loaded crossbow will still go off just fine with a “snapshot” vs. an aimed shot it’ll just be aimed poorer. A bow on the other hand who knows how far back you’d pull the string in a “snapshot” situation. In a “already aimed” moment though probably easier to let go of the arrow then any other way. :)

• Archers are gay, that is all……

• @Retsnom:

Archers are gay, that is all……

lol. Yeah.

Mount and Blade: Warband was pretty much ruined by archers and ranged weaponry. It’s near impossible to have a decent melee battle because some stupid archer (on your own team) is firing random shots into your little battle of epicness, often hitting you more than the enemy, and probably eventually killing you, or just making you easy to kill.

I hope some kind of system is put in place to prevent archers doing this in Chivalry, because it really isn’t fun -_-

• Roof monkeys deserve death. IRL.

• @SlyGoat:

You say “arcadish” in a negative, and yet you describe things like “battle stance” and “special charge” which sounds incredibly arcadish to me.

Battle stance (at least to me) sounds like something real. For example, you would stand differently in a combat situation to just casually just standing around.
    As for ‘special charge’ it kind of makes sense. If you’re covered head to toe in metal, I think you would just charge an archer or something, but then, if you were covered in metal, you couldn’t charge very fast. Bit of a catch 22 there :p

• @Leagle17:

@SlyGoat:

You say “arcadish” in a negative, and yet you describe things like “battle stance” and “special charge” which sounds incredibly arcadish to me.

Battle stance (at least to me) sounds like something real. For example, you would stand differently in a combat situation to just casually just standing around.
    As for ‘special charge’ it kind of makes sense. If you’re covered head to toe in metal, I think you would just charge an archer or something, but then, if you were covered in metal, you couldn’t charge very fast. Bit of a catch 22 there :p

Slow yes but look at it this way a lorry mooves slower than a car what would you rather be hit by?
    same with a knight in ‘heavy’ armour.

• I think what they are getting at is that…

if an archer gets nervous and messes up their shot, that will be done by their own hand. not something artificial that makes it impossible to work around. while i am also certain people will find ways to go up to archers and beat them down skillfully without something artificial in place.

have you truly explored every option the game has on fighting archers? if you can duck/jump sword swings, can you duck/jump arrows that arent shot at mid body?

beta testing is nice and all but many parts to the game probably wont be figured out for months. there can be many unintentional features (bugs that end up being a key part in balanced skillful gameplay)

• This idea is just silly, taking control away from the player is always a bad idea in games.

• what i found most annoying bout aoc archers was the fact of shotgunning and instahits.
    I mean how dafuq are u supposed to kill someone u glitch through when u got hit by his superiour fast,
    weird ranged attacks that hit even before the animation comes. It was really like: raises his arm - hits - arm raised - attacks. for my like it should be raises his arm - arm raised - attacks - hits