MAA Dodge suggestion

• In my opinion, the dodge ability should be used for dodging attacks, not charging in and rushing the enemy. Players have been abusing the dodge function by winding up an attack and then dodging into enemies, and usually by the time they get to said enemy, the hit has already begun. Due to the current somewhat buggy state of the animations, this tactic is difficult to counter as the player being rushed will often not be able to see the windup animation, and the whole affair usually ends with the player fighting the MAA being comboed into oblivion. I cant even begin to tell you how many MAAs I’ve seen using this bug / exploit in both pub and duel servers alike. My proposition is make it so that you cannot dodge while performing an action; in this case the action would be the wind-up.

• I always felt this was a really cheap tactic, and avoided using it altogether

I will not miss it

• Why not add a fumble animation that plays when you dodge in action?

• @WalrusJones:

Why not add a fumble animation that plays when you dodge in action?

that sounds like way too much work

just prevent being able to doge during the windup and release, and prevent being able to attack while in the middle of a dodge

you gotta make everything so complicated!

• I would mind dodge if it was a dodge (as in, to the side, or backwards).

Verb
    Avoid (someone or something) by a sudden quick movement: “we ducked inside our doorway to dodge shrapnel that was raining down”.
    Noun
    A sudden quick movement to avoid someone or something.

But MAA can “forward dodge” (read: offensive leap), whilst attacking, which is a pain in the ass when combined with the MAAs extra movement speed :P

Also, I have moved this to Ideas and Suggestions as it doesn’t really correlate to the Beta.

• I might be biased as I main MAA but I feel the dodge-attack is a necessity. The class as a whole really doesn’t have much going for it other than it’s impressive speed and dodge-attacks are a part of that. It’s not like they’re unblockable either. From my experience regular dodge-attacks are blocked much more often than not, and I find myself resorting to trickery in order to land them against more experienced opponents.

Dodge-attacks are also important for getting into a crowd, eliminating a target, and getting out. Without it, you’ll have to rely on a shield or be even less useful in large games. And personally, I feel like shield MAAs are pretty much frail derp Knights.

I would not however mind paying a stamina penalty for winding an attack during a dodge and dodging immediately after winding.

• @DemonicChocobo:

I might be biased as I main MAA but I feel the dodge-attack is a necessity. The class as a whole really doesn’t have much going for it other than it’s impressive speed and dodge-attacks are a part of that. It’s not like they’re unblockable either. From my experience regular dodge-attacks are blocked much more often than not, and I find myself resorting to trickery in order to land them against more experienced opponents.

Dodge-attacks are also important for getting into a crowd, eliminating a target, and getting out. Without it, you’ll have to rely on a shield or be even less useful in large games. And personally, I feel like shield MAAs are pretty much frail derp Knights.

Well, the MAA can strafe around his targets like no other and has the fastest weapons in the game, which is one hell of a combo to fight against if you use first-person view, and to some lesser extent even third person view. Whenever I play MAA the only time I ever use my ability is when i’m being overrun, so i’ll dodge backwards and attempt to retreat. I’m not that good of an MAA player, but I still manage to do well on the battlefield. Even if they just slowed the windup-dodge combo down, that would be a major improvement.

• @Gadwin:

@DemonicChocobo:

I might be biased as I main MAA but I feel the dodge-attack is a necessity. The class as a whole really doesn’t have much going for it other than it’s impressive speed and dodge-attacks are a part of that. It’s not like they’re unblockable either. From my experience regular dodge-attacks are blocked much more often than not, and I find myself resorting to trickery in order to land them against more experienced opponents.

Well, the MAA can strafe around his targets like no other and has the fastest weapons in the game, which is one hell of a combo to fight against if you use first-person view, and to some lesser extent even third person view. Whenever I play MAA the only time I ever use my ability is when i’m being overrun, so i’ll dodge backwards and attempt to retreat. I’m not that good of an MAA player, but I still manage to do well on the battlefield. Even if they just slowed the windup-dodge combo down, that would be a major improvement.

Turning view speed > MAA strafe speed. Anyone getting flanked 1v1 without dodge or anything else is just bad. Dodge forward is just part of the MAA’s mobility package, which is his only strength. It’s not like his speed is vastly superior to a Vanguard’s, for example, but the dodge makes all the difference.

• @Daiyuki:

Turning view speed > MAA strafe speed. Anyone getting flanked 1v1 without dodge or anything else is just bad. Dodge forward is just part of the MAA’s mobility package, which is his only strength. It’s not like his speed is vastly superior to a Vanguard’s, for example, but the dodge makes all the difference.

Calling someone bad just because they got flanked is pretty rude. Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses, and even the best of us screw up from time to time. And the bit about turning speed is a little questionable due to sensitivities and windup times, especially since MAAs have fast weapons, but I digress.

Anywho, I just got done playing with a great MAA for the past 8+ hours, and he didn’t dodge once in any of the rounds we played. What really baffled me is that he was actually using a heater shield, and was doing very well with it. No matter what class or weapon I used, our fights would always be neck and neck all the way through every battle. One of our fights even lasted 7 whole minutes. He excelled at stamina management, and often I would find myself backing away for a bit to catch my breath. What i’m trying to say is that you dont need to dodge to be a good MAA player, and the amount of MAA players that do nothing but use the windup-dodge combo is staggering. An ability isn’t something you should be able to base an entire playstyle around, at least not in this game.

• @Gadwin:

@Daiyuki:

Calling someone bad just because they got flanked is pretty rude. Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses, and even the best of us screw up from time to time. And the bit about turning speed is a little questionable due to sensitivities and windup times, especially since MAAs have fast weapons, but I digress.

Anywho, I just got done playing with a great MAA for the past 8+ hours, and he didn’t dodge once in any of the rounds we played. What really baffled me is that he was actually using a heater shield, and was doing very well with it. No matter what class or weapon I used, our fights would always be neck and neck all the way through every battle. One of our fights even lasted 7 whole minutes. He excelled at stamina management, and often I would find myself backing away for a bit to catch my breath. What i’m trying to say is that you dont need to dodge to be a good MAA player, and the amount of MAA players that do nothing but use the windup-dodge combo is staggering. An ability isn’t something you should be able to base an entire playstyle around, at least not in this game.

I use windup dodge when I deem it necessary - otherwise I use heater shield and feints.

• I agree that winding up an attack while dodging should be disabled, it is quite overwhelming, because it gives you a very small window to react and parry it.

When you dodge you should cancel the attack that you were winding up, this can be useful as it can fake people out, but it won’t land.