The community is really this retarded?

• So i was playing as a mason archer on battlegrounds when some spastic MAA decided it would be funny to teamkill the archers. He would blatently run up to us and attack and kill us. Whenever someone tried to votekick him he would just deny the accusations and it would be voted down. He killed me twice when i was trying to aim but the third time i pulled my sword and defended myself and…… i got VKd for teamkilling!!!

does this kind of thing happen often or is it just and extreme example?

• In the beta there’s a friendly damage and idle time value shown alongside the vote. That being said, most people don’t care while the enemy team would want such people on your team since it helps them out. The community isn’t that bad, because of f2p weekend, these kind of things happen more often since there are no serious repercusions.

But yea, this shtt happens from time to time. Best to play this with friends since the initial votes help in getting grievers kicked. That or just gang up on them :).

• Unfortunately it depends, at the moment it’s the free weekend I believe so there’s a lot of randoms on pissing about.

The community is the main problem area though in relation to votekicks and a lot of other stuff, a pity really because it’s simply that Chiv became a victim of it’s own success in that area. It attracted so many players during the Christmas sales and so on and did so well, that it brought a lot of the nobs along with it.

If this is happening on an OFFICIAL server, pop into the Steam Group in my signature and PM any of the admins if we’re online through it. That way we can jump onto the server and sort it out.

All forum Mods here have Admin powers on OFFICIAL servers only.

• Yes. Yes they are.

• I wouldn’t say the whole community is retarded, but there are a few people here and there that make it really seem that way… When enough of them gather together, events like your story happen and that’s where babies come from. Oh wait… I think I got sidetracked.

• LOL.

Thanks for your opinion.

• LOL i never run into that until the free weeken play. lol

• Its kinda ironic, because I actually just registered here, to make a sorta similar thread to this one.

Im flabbergasted at how extremely “unsociable” the community ive encountered thus far. Ive been playing online games since UO in 99 and this actually takes the cake, even for “free2play” stuff (as per the weekend promo). I cant even think of any other community coming close and Ive seen some really heinous ones.

But thankfully there were already a “is the community really this bad? this is unbelievable!!”-thread on page 1. And thankfully, there were actually an official response and it was a good one, that really made me glad, because I really like this game (already bought a 4-pack on steam) and Id love to keep playing it, but if the community doesnt change a bit after the free weekend, then it seems unlikely.

My complaints are the following:

-Griefers / TKers / TDers - Theres simply too many. Way way way way way too many. It got so extreme at one point, that I put pen and paper next to me on the table, and made notes when my deaths were friendly fire accidents and friendly fire “non-accidents”. Over the course of 11 games, ~35% of my deaths were to my own team, with about half being from “non-accidents”. Thats beyond unacceptable. Even half is beyond unacceptable, so that should tell you how “beyond” the “unacceptable” is, in my opinion. And no, im not one of the twerps who love to hug an enemy nanoseconds before he dies to an ally, I keep my distance and try to stay aware.

• Gaybashing - Again, theres simply too much of it. I usually dont make a big deal about this sorta stuff, because idiots will be idiots, but I basically cant go a match without seeing someone call someone else “fag” or saying how “gay” something they dont like is, and usually its not just a comment or two, its a lot.

• Community “protecting” violators - It takes like 2-3 attempts to get a troll (like intentional teamkilling) votekicked. And I have yet to see ANY (AS IN ZERO, AS IN NOT A SINGLE ONE, AS IN NONE) of the many gaybashers votekicked.

I want to ask if theres official rules against gaybashing, but with the amount ive seen and how the community (that i have encountered thus far) gladly condones it, I almost feel like I should ask if its mandatory to be gaybashing and if Im will be penalized if I dont start gaybashing also. On the plus side, havent seen that much racism tho. Have yet to see someone say “oh no, they camp our spawn, thats so nigger of them”. Have seen it plenty times with “gay” instead of “nigger” though, I guess im out of whack finding both unacceptable. PLEASE CORRECT ME! I dont want to play a game where I have to see douchebags use homosexuality as an insult constantly. Its not like this in other games.

@BobT36:

Unfortunately it depends, at the moment it’s the free weekend I believe so there’s a lot of randoms on pissing about.

The community is the main problem area though in relation to votekicks and a lot of other stuff, a pity really because it’s simply that Chiv became a victim of it’s own success in that area. It attracted so many players during the Christmas sales and so on and did so well, that it brought a lot of the nobs along with it.

If this is happening on an OFFICIAL server, pop into the Steam Group in my signature and PM any of the admins if we’re online through it. That way we can jump onto the server and sort it out.

All forum Mods here have Admin powers on OFFICIAL servers only.

The latter part about Admins and Official servers sounds great. I’ll take a look at the steam group, but could you elaborate on how I make certain that Im playing on an official server? Semi-related idea could be to have a server filter for Official Servers Only.

And dear reader, please dont mistake my complaint for fully fledged negativity, I think the game is extremely fun, thats why I bought it! I just want to be able to have some fun in it, without being spawncamped by a couple guys on my own team, that the enemy team protects via kickvotes, with hatespeech sprinkled on top for that added shitty feeling.

Basically, Id love it if the community was only “standard bad” or “standard f2p bad”. Again, Im only talking about the community Ive encountered yet. Im not talking about YOU, Mr “I have no idea who you are, because we have never met, please dont take it personally, this is a general complaint”. We are clearly the bestest of best bestest besty friends. Forever.

Thanks for reading, sorry for ranting/venting. I hope my points were valid. Im eagerly awaiting any official response.

• Guys the solution is we need quality privately moderated servers. This game is no different than any other game, if anything it makes people rage more since it can be frustrating. Public servers are like the wild wild west and its up to private moderators and server operators to establish the tone and lay down the law on their own hosted servers. The big commercial games do not have any moderator presence if any on the public servers. The worst is Xbox Live servers if you have ever been on any of them. I commend the volunteers here that try to police the official servers, but in all honesty I don’t think it’s really their primary responsibility or something that is feasible to do round the clock real-time. Also it’s hard to put blanket rules on official servers, because where do you draw the line. Someone gets banned and then they come on here raging about moderator x banning them for a minor offense. If you feel there is no desirable place to play I suggest you take it upon yourself to host a 24/7 quality server and build a small community around it. While complaining on the forums will shed light and generate discussion, the end result needs to be actionable.

P.S. I was playing on sk00ma’s server for a bit from the reddit post, but doesn’t seem to be populated anymore :/. He did a good job of being online and moderating his server when it was full of people.

• Sadly, it’s just the perfect storm.

In any game, you have a bunch of unskilled players. In shooters, you’re spread out and required to deal damage to a precise location (bullet) to kill the enemy. Friendly fire still exists. In this game, you’re required to get right up next to the enemy to deal damage, and that damage is in the form of an arcing swing (even the stab can have some arc). When multiple players are engaged in combat, these arcs are bound to overlap across friendlies and thus, team killing happens. You try to portray games as trolls just running around purposely killing their teammates, but that is incorrect. For the most part, it’s unskilled players wildly swinging and hitting friend and foe alike. It sucks, but you can combat it by not fighting alongside your teammates. Stop trying to 2v1 everyone and find a lone opponent.

Gaybashing… Most servers are privately hosted, meaning that the rules of conduct are left solely at the server admin’s discretion. Torn Banner has no say in what they allow on their own servers; I could kick every person who says the word “the” and it’s perfectly acceptable to them. This is the same in every game that has dedicated servers - you shop around for the ones you like and add them to your favorites. As it was said, you could also play on Official servers and queue the mods via their steam group for support when things get ugly. Official servers have the word ‘Official’ in the server name so you know they’re officially official.

Yea, the community is retarded when it comes to votekicking. You know why? Because every kid who gets killed decides to votekick the guy who killed him. Now, we all know that everyone thinks they’re the best gamer that the internet has ever seen, so this is to be expected. How dare someone best them! After playing through votekick spam from all the dead players trying to revenge-rage, most people just mash ‘No’, or don’t even vote at all. Again, find a private server with active administrators.

Really, quality server administration is the key to any acceptable server. The problem with this is that when a server gets moderated correctly, everyone leaves so they can pull their BS somewhere else. These kids WANT to rage and rant, and can’t do it on moderated servers. Thus the good servers are underpopulated and everyone complains about the conduct on those which are not moderated.

All in all, host your own server and set your own rules if you don’t like it. It’s simple enough that you can do it off your home PC and keep it up while you play.

• I had a long post written up, got server error, this one will be the short version. I apologize beforehand that im leaving out most of the polite formalities. I dont mean anything personal, so dont take it personally. Im just not gonna spend 25 mins again, writing it up.

JHoersten2;
    -I differ between trolling TKs and accidental TKs, like i wrote. I dont “try to portray” anything. It feels more you trying to portray me as something very different than what I wrote in my post. Please reply to what is written, not what was not written, but taken from thin air. Also, I have played the game, so no need to write up the tutorial. And dont tell me that im telling lies and painting a fake picture, I was there, you werent. And never again argue against the person, argue against the argument. One is petty and equivalent to monkeys throwing poo at each other, the other is what is known as “debate”.

-Gaybashing. A private server is not exempt from law. - Torn Banner owns Chivalry and private server ops just loan their property, Torn Banner can set all the conditions they want. Furthermore, plenty of stuff is illegal to share/do on the internet, even if you have your own private servers to do it on. Seems like a weekly thing nowadays to read about FBI shutting down “private servers”. Torn Banner could state that if they see anyone do X or Y whilst playing their game, then they would ban the guy. Im assuming theres global ban functions for hackers and such. Yes, Torn Banner could ban anyone using the word “the” if they wanted, that wouldnt be illegal, just bad business. Having a horrendously unfriendly community is also terrible for business. Which is why most online games nowadays are “overpoliced” (if you ask me), so its forbidden to talk politics, religion, ive even seen a place where music taste was off the table for debate.

“Really, quality server administration is the key to any acceptable server. The problem with this is that when a server gets moderated correctly, everyone leaves so they can pull their BS somewhere else. These kids WANT to rage and rant, and can’t do it on moderated servers. Thus the good servers are underpopulated and everyone complains about the conduct on those which are not moderated.”

This part is hard to understand. Did you mean the majority of Chivalrys community are against the griefers or did you mean that the majority actually are the griefers?

-“dude just set up your own server” - Short answer, no. I already paid for this game and nowhere was it listed that this game features and condones hatespeech, unless I invest 5-10 hours a week building my own small sub-group within the games community.

ATF_E1 had a very good comment.

-“While complaining on the forums will shed light and generate discussion, the end result needs to be actionable.”

I agree 100%. And that would not be hard to achieve. Im assuming Torn Banner have an EULA/TOS and I assume it covers various topics, such as ~“you are not permitted to spread hatespeech”, since Torn Banner is in Canada (i think). A simple and attainable end result would be doing the same as all the other games do, a nice tried and true solution. You document someone breaking the rules, that someone gets the amount of punishment promised. Repeat offenders could get a global ban maybe, Im assuming Torn Banner have such capabilities to deal with hackers.

This actionable result is easy to attain, INDUSTRY STANDARD, would solve the problem and would let the people who prefer fighting on the forum to fighting ingame reply to legitimate complaints without making the community look like trash.

DISCLAIMER: Apologies for the harsh tone at times, I just wanted to write up my points as fast as possible, since this here forum server error screwed me out of my 25 mins of work that it took to write up a very nicely polite and diplomatic version of the exact same points.

EDIT: I would really like an OFFICIAL REPLY on this and a link to the EULA/TOS. Its sorta tricky to locate.

• @Narfle:

JHoersten2;
    -I differ between trolling TKs and accidental TKs, like i wrote….

No, you said you made tallies every time you were TK’d. What your “portray” or how I interpret your words are indeed valid in any response I give. How dare you try to dictate otherwise from me. You have a very pretentious attitude regarding YOUR time spent playing, and frankly, it’s just BS. You complained about being TK’d, I responded with reason and logic, and now you try to shadow it with petty garbage. Drop the facade about arguments and debates, and just face the fact that you get TK’d, it sucks, and move on. For someone who’s raving about replying to what’s written and not written, you sure have a lot to learn about the ideas you preach. Deal with it.

@Narfle:

-Gaybashing.

Lmao! So you’re going with the legal argument here. Classic, but again, a foolish choice. This isn’t even worth arguing due to it’s ridiculousness. Please, call the FBI and have them remove Chivalry servers over the words “fag” and “gay”. You should probably have them seize Google as well, as many young teens use their browser to post similar messages. Oh wait a minute! You know those crazy religious nuts who stand on the corners with signs like “God Hates Fags”? Yea, that’s been ruled free speech, so your entire rant is thrown out the window. No, it’s not illegal. No, the FBI won’t get involved. No, it’s not Torn Banner’s responsibility to police private servers. Damn, I didn’t even have to touch my argument of servers being their owner’s property, thus the responsibility of the owner, not TB to begin with. A usage license doesn’t transfer responsibility to the software creator - it falls upon the license holder. Gov’t isn’t going after Microsoft for you pirating movies, now are they?

@Narfle:

This part is hard to understand. Did you mean the majority of Chivalrys community are against the griefers or did you mean that the majority actually are the griefers?

I mean that most servers are not moderated, so the community populates those more than moderated servers. Why? Because they can do what they please and rage all they want. Refer back to gaybashing: official servers vs private servers.

It’s almost as if you’re new to online gaming, really. You’ve shown that you won’t listen to logic with your TK complaining, have no knowledge of law or legal responsibility, and refuse to take the appropriate, simple steps to solving your own issues (creating a server). All that is an equation to raging on the forums, however well mannered it may be. You have options and tools at your disposal, so use them and improve the quality of your game time instead of arguing that the community should better suit YOUR needs. The Chivalry community is not much different than any other online game with dedicated servers (Ex. Call of Duty). Perhaps your time would be better spent in a solo gaming environment.

EDIT: Terms of Service, you say? Here’s an example from EA’s:

12. Services Not Controlled By EA

Some products may give you the option of using EA Software on or through a service that is not controlled by EA. For example, you may be given the option to play EA Software online on servers not owned or controlled by EA. EA takes no responsibility for your use of EA Software on or through any such service and otherwise has no control over how those services are offered, administered or operated. Any such use of non-EA controlled services is at your own risk and may subject you to additional or different terms and restrictions by the third party running the service.

You don’t think Torn Banner’s lawyers would have set up anything similar? Get real….

• @Farkon:

The community isn’t that bad, because of f2p weekend, these kind of things happen more often since there are no serious repercusions.

Don’t try to cover it up. Yes the community is horrendous.

• Its horrid right now because of f2p. Once f2p is over it will be better since a majority of trolls\grievers will move on.

• Cut down on the personal arguments please guys. Just drop it and leave it there, no need for it.

@Narfle:

I want to ask if theres official rules against gaybashing, but with the amount ive seen and how the community (that i have encountered thus far) gladly condones it, I almost feel like I should ask if its mandatory to be gaybashing and if Im will be penalized if I dont start gaybashing also.

The last part is a bit silly, but as an Admin I have no problem with someone using one or two words, even if that does include fag or whatever. Everyone expresses themselves differently, one person’s “hello” is another’s “OMG BLASPHEMY / HATESPEECH!111” I waft off the odd vulgarlarity as long as it is just part of a wider vocabulary, everyone can be a little crude now and then.

However if anyone’s just shouting “fuck off you fucking faggy fag fag” or something equally as stupid constantly over and over and doing bugger all else, it’s byebye for them. Same with racist slurs spouted for the sake of it, or anything else really, has nothing to do with whether it is contraversal or not. Be a cockend for the sake of it, and that’s when it’s time to be modded.

Everyone needs to blow off some steam now and then, and some do it in silly ways, especially younger players. But when that gets to be actual ABUSE or just being done for the sake of it then then that’s when it wouldn’t be tolerated, a player doing that would be removed by me, kicked first, and if they continued, banned. A person being a waste of oxygen is no use to anyone, and certainly not a good addition to the game for others.

We are looking at getting two new Forum sections set up, “Report Hacks” and “Report Abuse - (Official Servers Only)”, where people can post in confidence (only the poster and mods can see their own topics there), and report stuff like that, as long as there was sufficient evidence (screenshots / videos / console logs) and SteamIDs included. However the thing about making it so you can only see your own posts requires some Forum software addons that we’re not sure are compatible at the moment, so we’re not sure if we can implement those just yet, but it is one thing we’re looking at.

Beyond those all you can do with the OFFICIAL servers (those with “Official” in the title, usually hosted by Multiplay) is check the Steam Group and PM any of us if we’re available and we’ll try and come on and sort it, otherwise we may be able to act after the event with enough evidence. Beyond that though we can’t do much, we can’t really be on there all the time unless we’re playing ourselves, as we have the forums to mod, and our personal lives and work to attend to as well as gaming time. We aren’t employees of Torn Banner in any way, so any time we give up here or on the servers is litterally coming out of our own. I’ve only been online so much this past week because I’m signed off work recovering from surgery.

Torn Banner themselves unfortunately can’t really do much, it’s not their place to tell people how to play the game, a lot of the abuse is litterally down to the community. They are making steps though such as showing team damage and idle time stats for Votekicks so people can make an informed decision, but beyond that there’s not much they can do, and it’s not really their place.

Sometimes finding a good popular clan server can help, where there’s frequently a few people on playing who have admin power, and the community on those usually contains the clan members and friends of them, who are usually going to be ok. It’s up to each clan and private server admin on what they allow though and where they draw the line, and to moderate that server as they wish. I used to play on the PGP server a lot in the old Age of Chivalry mod heh, got to play with some fun people again and again.

I think a lot of the arsing around will die down after this weekend after a lot have stopped trying it for free for the sake of it. Some of the nobs are going to stick around for a bit though until they move onto Call of Duty Blops 3 or whatever the next big thing is. As to lawyers, I doubt if TB even have them, maybe they know of someone they could consult if they need it (at GREAT cost) but, they’re just a a tiny indie company of like 10 guys who got together to make a game… Not some massive conglomerate enterprise with a management board and accountants heh.

Hope your game experience gets a bit better for you! It is a very fun game when you play it with the right people. :)

• For once I can semi agree with JHoersten2.

We run a dedicated clan server. We run a very adult, free speech, no politically correct BS server. You dont like it? Don’t play there. We even kick kids who spam the mic with their annoying whiny voices, right after we ask them if they like Popsicles. Tough titty, grow a sack and deal with it. No one is really gay bashing. That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard about an online gaming community. Maybe a little lesson from South Park might clue you in….
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4

Or Watch this episode here: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-ep … ark-is-gay

Or this: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-ep … the-f-word
    lols

• @Farkon:

Its horrid right now because of f2p. Once f2p is over it will be better since a majority of trolls\grievers will move on.

I’m 142 hours in, I’ve been here long before the free week end, I think I know what I’m talking about, but whatever.

• Yeah I really don’t think the law thing holds any credence. Who’s law, the server’s? What about the players posting, connecting from all over the world? Etc… I very much the Ugandan (or wherever still executes gays) police give two shits about a 12 year old Ugandan boy calling someone a fag on a French server or whatever else. Heck you’d need a gigantic team of full-time Internet Police just to keep an eye on it.

Nightmare, especially for TB who are a tiny independant dev with a SINGLE game. Best not to even go there heh. The game does NOT condone hate speech, neither do the devs, they gave us the game and that’s what they’re here to do, they have no responsibility to say how people use it. What anyone else does with that is their own bloody business, nothing to do with TB or anyone else besides the Admins of those servers. The only thing TB “should” do if they want to keep their players happy is give the players and server admins the tools to help reduce the impact of the tards, such as the mute options, votekicking (even THAT gets abused), banlists etc, which they have, and are continuing to improve. They’ve also given us Mods on here Admin power on the Official servers so we can help a bit, even any of that they didn’t HAVE to do though.

As to banning people actively engaging in ABUSE, well we already do that. Like I said give us Mods a shout and we can sort that out, or capture enough evidence at the time + Steam ID. Just remember we’re volunteers, and TB themselves can’t sit around banning people as they’d have no time to develop the game heh, nor should they hire someone for this and nor are they financially able or established enough as an actual company to handle something like that. Also even then as I mentioned any reports would have to be for where someone is REALLY causing a problem, I really wouldn’t want to spend my entire Sunday afternoon banning tards from game servers just because they called someone a “fag” once after getting killed, sometimes a tad thicker skin can help.

Nothing is really needed in the EULA or TOS for any of this, or any other Law based solution, its also pointless adding it if you can’t enforce it with an iron fist. Also again WHO’s law? What circumstances is it applied? Etc, would never work in this instance. Sure we could ban arsewipes from all public servers, but the Private ones are free to do what they wish. Remember this isn’t a Blizzard MMO, you’re not going to get the same level of support as with them who have an entire department for community management.

Find a server you like and it’s all good. Public ones will be modded if things get to level of abuse, private ones well it depends on who owns it. Find one you agree with and you’ll have good fun.

• @The:

@Farkon:

Its horrid right now because of f2p. Once f2p is over it will be better since a majority of trolls\grievers will move on.

I’m 142 hours in, I’ve been here long before the free week end, I think I know what I’m talking about, but whatever.

A terrible community in my opinion would be from a mainstream game such as cod with kids screaming in the mic constantly, killing each other screaming ha ha ha i got you you little n**, and etc.
    The worst I’ve seen here before f2p hit, are some teamkilling squabbles and insults towards maul and halberd users. I’ve never seen such a influx of “Gaybashing” and other such things before f2p.

• " I dont want to play a game where I have to see douchebags use homosexuality as an insult constantly."

Welcome to the internet. If you are gay, or close to someone who’s gay there is just no point in taking it personally. Just laugh at the ignorant clowns.