WEAPONS (Comparison, Mistakes, etc.)

• Hello everyone,

I want here to discuss the weapons of chivalry. This topic is about weapons, their balance, bugs, mistakes, etc. There are some imbalances, mistakes, bugs (Maybe) that I’ve encountered during the games.

Mace vs. Broadsword

If you read the description of weapons it says that the Mace is faster and has more damage than the broadsword, but in the weapons stats broadsword has more damage and the same speed (first screenshot). This either means that there is mistake in weapon description or there is mistake in actual stats. This is misleading because when I choose my weapon I choose it because of its stats to fit my play style and if there is wrong information and description I’ll be having wrong expectations in fights.
    I hope the description is wrong because otherwise Broadsword would be much better weapon than a mace, it has more damage, more reach and the same speed, there would be no reason to pick a mace.

[attachment=1:yo7pazoe]maceVSbroadsword.jpg[/attachment:yo7pazoe]

Mace vs. Falchion

Now let’s compare Mace and Falchion. As you know Falchion is not available at the start and you must unlock it with the broadsword kills. If you look at the stats, you’ll see that Falchion has much more damage and a little bit more reach than a Mace. It has 50% damage when Mace has only 38%, 12% is huge difference. Plus there is 2% difference in reach and the speed is the same. Well, here comes the question why would I ever use mace? Again I want to say that Mace stats are totally wrong in description (I can’t measure their stats in-game).

[attachment=0:yo7pazoe]maceVSfalchion.jpg[/attachment:yo7pazoe]

Because of this kind of mistakes I think there could be more and I think this kind of weapons would be Pole Axe, Bearded Axe and Messer.

Messer vs. Pole Axe & Bearded Axe

I’m not quit sure but I’ll post it anyway, correct me if I’m wrong. According to the stats Messer and Pole Axe have the same damage, but weapons description also says that the Messer has strong slash and overhead. This should me that Messer has more damage than the pole axe in all situations except stab. I think it does more damage, because I can’t really remember Pole Axe oneshots on full hp enemies, even on archers if it’s not headchop. Well correct if I’m wrong. What I’m trying to say is that two-handed Axes must have more damage than a sword which could be held in on hand.

When comparing Messer to Bearded Axe you know that Messer does slightly more damage. Bearded Axe has more reach but I think there’s something wrong with its range. In many situations where I was able to reach my enemies with Messer I wasn’t - with Bearded Axe. When I played with Bearded Axe my K/D ratio was horrible comparing to Messer… When comparing these two weapons again: How can an Axe have more damage with the stab than a sword? It’s not natural. In real life if you stab someone with an axe like Bearded Axe it won’t do nothing, that side of axes’ are not even sharpened. So I think that axes should have weaker stabs, not the sword.

In addition I want to say that these stats need to be more specific, if there’s a weapon which does different damage with different attacks, there should be their stats too.

Feel free to discuss these weapons, thank you in advance ;)

• They should just do away with the basic stats that they show and show the stats for each individual attack for the weapon by default instead. It’s more accurate and gives you a better idea about the strengths and weaknesses of each attack.

• @David:

They should just do away with the basic stats that they show and show the stats for each individual attack for the weapon by default instead. It’s more accurate and gives you a better idea about the strengths and weaknesses of each attack.

I agree. The percentages shown in game are very misleading. The only one that might be somewhat accurate is the reach percentage. Even then, I’d like to see a number rather than a percentage.

• @T_Roy:

@David:

Even then, I’d like to see a number rather than a percentage.

Then see a number.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

• @JHoersten2:

@T_Roy:

@David:

Then see a number.

Man I love this numbers, thanks a lot :)

• Balance discussions belong in the…*drumroll…balance section!

Moved. :)

• While it’s not a serious and urgent problem, there really needs to be a change to the weapon stat descriptions. Even if they weren’t COMPLETE LIES, the percentage bars are silly and completely worthless anyway. They should just list some numbers from the spreadsheet instead.

• The mace deals blunt damage, the sword slashing (piercing on stab). If you look at the wiki you can see that the classes have different resistances to different damage types. In this case, a mace will outperform a similiar sword in terms of damage against a knight, and vanguard to a lesser degree. For this reason, you shouldn’t expect perfect balancing of the percentages you see on weapons, especially across different weapon types. Many players pick two contrasting weapons in order to be more versatile.

Also, keep in mind that gameplay is more valuable than realism. The messer has a weak stab because it has extra-powerful slashes - both largely artificial attributes implemented to make a unique and diverse weapon.

• @Torrenz:

The mace deals blunt damage, the sword slashing (piercing on stab). If you look at the wiki you can see that the classes have different resistances to different damage types. In this case, a mace will outperform a similiar sword in terms of damage against a knight, and vanguard to a lesser degree. For this reason, you shouldn’t expect perfect balancing of the percentages you see on weapons, especially across different weapon types. Many players pick two contrasting weapons in order to be more versatile.

Also, keep in mind that gameplay is more valuable than realism. The messer has a weak stab because it has extra-powerful slashes - both largely artificial attributes implemented to make a unique and diverse weapon.

Yea but if Pole Axe had a stronger slash and overhead and messer powerful stab, it would be more realistic and these weapons would be unique at the same time.

• @Akelaar:

Yea but if Pole Axe had a stronger slash and overhead and messer powerful stab, it would be more realistic and these weapons would be unique at the same time.

Game balance > realism

• @JHoersten2:

@T_Roy:

@David:

Then see a number.

I don’t see any reach data in the spreadsheet at all. Am I missing something?