When will it all end?

• First off; forgive me for the “double post” but I didn’t want my question lost in a shield nerf debate…

With all the shield nerf requests, I’m beginning to think that shields were massively OP. Could the Devs get it soooo wrong? I just don’t know what to think anymore.

Like most people who have invested a few hundred hours, I just want to develop a fighting style by sticking to a class/weapons set and practising.

Taking a step back… this is the first PC game (OK I did play the Total War series, that’s different) that I’ve played and now my PS3 thinks I’ve moved house and left him behind. My very first post asked the community if it is possible to get a Dual Shock working on a PC;… “it feels like you need three hands”… distance memories.

Thanks to encouraging comments, I persevered and have become reasonably dexterous on the keyboard but this has taken a lot of effort on my behalf. To compensate for my talentless fingers I employed my reasonably strategic mind; watched the many excellent training videos that people have kindly produced and focused on any small advantage to be had. Moreover; I joined an up and coming Clan and took on board their kind advice and encouragement and practised, practised, practised.

Forgive me for labouring the preamble but here is my point; anyone who wants to play this game at a high level will look for a perceived minuscule advantage and practice until their fingers bleed. In my humble opinion; this just results in nerf requests.

Furthermore; If it were possible to get all the very best players to invest time in the very worst set up, I don’t think it would be too long before the worst set up is considered OP.

I dislike my own negativity but I really don’t like change for change’s sake and feel that the constant and seemingly endless game “tweaks” are testing my tolerance to breaking point. I knew where I was on PS3 and now I’m feeling a little bit lost. The community is the saving grace and I’ll never go back BUT as a real Noob to PC gaming, I just want to know when will it all end?

• Welcome to PC gaming. The answer to your question is…never.

This is the frustration of PC gaming, you can see how it all works so you think there is some achievable perfection. Whether it is as a player wanting to master the game or as a player wanting the game changes, you can post on forums and feel it is read you can read things from people who look at the numbers.

You will find pockets of PC games who believe they have found that perfection. Most are playing Counter Strike 1.6, a bit of pc gaming frozen in time with the glitches and exploits it had when Valve finally abandoned it to make new Counter Strike games. You might also try StarCraft…again…a game frozen in time.

The other thing you should know is that on PC there will always be a hacker, glitcher, exploiter who is “better” than you. Even competitive teams in games with harsh anti-cheat have hackers. Even if they don’t, there is someone out there playing 23 hours a day who will be better than you. That’s just how it goes.

If you are going to play to be the best at a PC game. Pick a dead game (meaning developers have moved on). If you want to enjoy new and interesting games and possibly contribute to the discussion of how to make them as good as possible before the dev team moves on, play games like Chivalry and participate in the community and learn to adapt to changes.

• I can really only echo Misnomer. On the point about calling for nerfs however I feel your pain and alot of the time it comes from newer players or those too frustrated to adapt, who dislike an aspect of the game or the advantage of certain weapon type and wish to see it hamstrung so they preform better.

Only thing you can really do is enter the debate and see that the changes that happen to the game are influenced positively. To answer your question though it won’t ever change.

• @Misnomer:

Welcome to PC gaming. The answer to your question is…never.

This is the frustration of PC gaming, you can see how it all works so you think there is some achievable perfection. Whether it is as a player wanting to master the game or as a player wanting the game changes, you can post on forums and feel it is read you can read things from people who look at the numbers.

You will find pockets of PC games who believe they have found that perfection. Most are playing Counter Strike 1.6, a bit of pc gaming frozen in time with the glitches and exploits it had when Valve finally abandoned it to make new Counter Strike games. You might also try StarCraft…again…a game frozen in time.

The other thing you should know is that on PC there will always be a hacker, glitcher, exploiter who is “better” than you. Even competitive teams in games with harsh anti-cheat have hackers. Even if they don’t, there is someone out there playing 23 hours a day who will be better than you. That’s just how it goes.

If you are going to play to be the best at a PC game. Pick a dead game (meaning developers have moved on). If you want to enjoy new and interesting games and possibly contribute to the discussion of how to make them as good as possible before the dev team moves on, play games like Chivalry and participate in the community and learn to adapt to changes.

Thanks again for another welcome and the succinct answer, this community is unreal compared to PS BUT….

Furthermore; If it were possible to get all the very best players to invest time in the very worst set up, I don’t think it would be too long before the worst set up is considered OP.

I just hope that the dev team take it on board; good players will make anything seem OP

• If you’ve experienced Team Fortress 2 or Killing Floor, you know that it’ll never “end”. Doesn’t mean the same has to happen to all games. It’s a good thing we have an official forum where all opinions are gathered, and hopefully the devs will separate the rational voices from the loud ones when considering changes to the game.

• @Sir:

Only thing you can really do is enter the debate and see that the changes that happen to the game are influenced positively.

Will do my friend; will do.

• This might be too late, and I don’t recommend a controller for Chivalry, but MotionInJoy [bad name] will trick your computer into believing that a PS3 controller is an Xbox controller, thus allowing almost any game to be played with it.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

• @Wobbler:

This might be too late, and I don’t recommend a controller for Chivalry, but MotionInJoy [bad name] will trick your computer into believing that a PS3 controller is an Xbox controller, thus allowing almost any game to be played with it.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

Thanks buddy; really thanks, but yeah I’m 350 hours in now and yes I’m getting it. I almost feel ready to give X PS/new keyboard players a tip… erm… right here it is… learn to dance. Yep that’s it! put on some tunes and make that Knight booggggggie!

• The only thing that is OP in Chivalry is skill. Sure, a good shield player is hard to kill. Just as a good PLAYER is hard to kill, whatever the setup. I am sick of the balance complaints as well. Luckily I think the developers in this game really do think it through before fixing unbroken things.

• @amrtin:

The only thing that is OP in Chivalry is skill. Sure, a good shield player is hard to kill. Just as a good PLAYER is hard to kill, whatever the setup. I am sick of the balance complaints as well. Luckily I think the developers in this game really do think it through before fixing unbroken things.

You and me both fella, it does look like it will be never ending but as people have said “that’s PC gaming for ya”.

I still think …

Shame it will never be put to the test.

• Totally agree that change for the sake of change is shit.

However, a component of skill and intelligence is the ability of quick adaptation. As long as the game is not drastically changed, I don’t believe there will be problems. And after the first major changes, things will slow down. The game is still into a full process of bug fixing, so it’s ok.

• @havz0r:

Totally agree that change for the sake of change is shit.

However, a component of skill and intelligence is the ability of quick adaptation. As long as the game is not drastically changed, I don’t believe there will be problems. And after the first major changes, things will slow down. The game is still into a full process of bug fixing, so it’s ok.

However, with the benefit of post major patch hindsight…. BWAHAHAHAHAH!