Full servers this weekend

• Sorry if this was raised in another topic, i didn’t see any touching on this subject.

I’ve never really had an issue with full servers up until now.

I realise that it was a free weekend on Steam, and it was going to be busy. But Friday night, Saturday night, and just now (Sunday afternoon), every single server was full.

I’m all up for getting more people onto this great game, but perhaps enough servers so that everyone can play would be cool?

I noticed some of my favourited servers were not actually showing so I guess they turned off for the occasion. but with a larger user base now (on the assumption many who played for free this weekend bought it), is this going to be an ongoing issue now?

• Buuuut……with that said.

I did randomly try a full server, and got in.

• The server browser doesn’t accurately display the number of connected players, so many that appear full really are not.

I feel that this problem is not really a problem at all though. Weeks ago 80% of servers were empty, and now they’re thriving. Not all players will buy the game, and if too many servers are full, I’d anticipate many more being created.

Growth is a good thing, not something to be complained about.

• Agreed, more users is a great thing, especially for a great game that is Chivalry.

I was just concerned that the server capacity wasn’t up to it.

However, now that I find that the user numbers shown in the server list sometimes do not accurately reflect the actual number of users (as you rightly say), its not so much a problem.

Although what is the problem is that I found that user numbers in a server I was in yesterday was decreasing, with no users joining. If the server is showing as full, then perhaps people aren’t trying to join?

• Almost never accurate server numbers and on those 32man servers someone will leave every minute.

It was a fun weekend to me, less bitter vets to play with :)

• @JHoersten2:

…Growth is a good thing, not something to be complained about.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Also; a lot of the private servers, ours included, were passworded just so server owners could get to play the game. This compounded the problem but I guess, more players will equal more servers eventually.

• Is this free week end not over yet?
    Still overcrowded and skyrocketing pings

@Reginhard:

@JHoersten2:

…Growth is a good thing, not something to be complained about.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Also; a lot of the private servers, ours included, were passworded just so server owners could get to play the game. This compounded the problem but I guess, more players will equal more servers eventually.

Yeah so, people who don’t have own a server can go screw themselves?

• @The:

1. There are over 100 servers to play on. Pick one.
    2. He pays for or hosts his server so he can do whatever he wishes. He owes you nothing, nor are you entitled to anything.
    3. Hosting your own server is quite easy off your home PC - if you have a problem with his, host your own.

I’ll be damned though if I was getting flak for wanting to join my own full server. I’m not doing you a service, I’m simply sharing space I pay for with you when I feel like it. Show some gratitude, kid.

• @JHoersten2:

@The:

1. There are over 100 servers to play on. Pick one.
    2. He pays for or hosts his server so he can do whatever he wishes. He owes you nothing, nor are you entitled to anything.
    3. Hosting your own server is quite easy off your home PC - if you have a problem with his, host your own.

I’ll be damned though if I was getting flak for wanting to join my own full server. I’m not doing you a service, I’m simply sharing space I pay for with you when I feel like it. Show some gratitude, kid.

1. Irrelevant. Talking about free week end, no servers to play on being the very problem.
    2. Irrelevant. I’m responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
    3. See 2.

Thank you for your precious time, hum… “adult”.

• The I guess your problem is irrelevant. I’ve read a few posts from you now, and they’re all pessimistic and negative.

I’m not shocked that
    @The:

Well as far as I’m concerned, Chivalry’s community is the worst i’ve seen.

Just a sad human being it seems. Either way, I suppose you are irrelevant now as well. Pity.

• @JHoersten2:

Just a sad human being it seems. Either way, I suppose you are irrelevant now as well. Pity.

What you think of me, is as well, you guessed it, irrelevant, I’m quite beyond such petty concerns. When you grow up, you might get there too, as unlikely as it is.
    Except from proving my point about the community, you didn’t achieve much here.

We’re both wasting our time here, I’ll let you post the last word, as I know your kind (the average joe) needs it to sleep at night.

• @The:

The options were:-

a. password our server and Clan members get to play the game hassle free. NB. we had a inter Clan friendly on Saturday and Clan training and an inter Clan friendly on Sunday so it would of been passworded during these events anyways.

b. don’t password the server and let the people who actually pay for it fend for themselves during f2p weekend.

We choose a; thus rewarding our members for their support. NB. when our numbers dropped off in the wee hours we reverted to an open server.

During f2p weekend we maintained a full server for 90% of the time; this current log is a typical server head count…

So logically as players were on our server they were not another one. Hardly a go screw scenario from us… BUT if server owners did kill their server head counts during f2p weekend that is indeed a pity, hence, I thought it worth a mention.

• I understand what you’re saying, but I wasn’t criticizing what you were doing with your server, not by any means.
    What I meant was, well we’re talking about overpopulation during free weekend and the difficulty to find a slot while it’s on.
    Now you have a server, you can lock it, that’s fine, that’s a fine solution for you.
    But people like me, who bought their game and can’t play during these events and don’t own a server, what should we do?

Bottomline what I mean is, just as unfair as it would be for people like me to fill your own server to the point you couldn’t even join it, it’s kind of unfair for us people who paid the game not to be able to play it because of free players.

That’s all I meant.

• @The:

I understand what you’re saying, but I wasn’t criticizing what you were doing with your server, not by any means.
    What I meant was, well we’re talking about overpopulation during free weekend and the difficulty to find a slot while it’s on.
    Now you have a server, you can lock it, that’s fine, that’s a fine solution for you.
    But people like me, who bought their game and can’t play during these events and don’t own a server, what should we do?

Bottomline what I mean is, just as unfair as it would be for people like me to fill your own server to the point you couldn’t even join it, it’s kind of unfair for us people who paid the game not to be able to play it because of free players.

That’s all I meant.

Forgive me; wrong end of the stick and all that.

I think that there is probably a definable relationship between the number of players and the number of servers for any game and that it is just a matter of time before the latter catches up with the former.

Clearly; f2p weekend throws the whole thing up in the air but I do feel that growth is a must have and whilst f2p’s are inconvenient the pros do outweigh the cons.

• @mattyrasker:

Buuuut……with that said.

I did randomly try a full server, and got in.

Exactly, the server player count is always wrong. Hopefully fixed in Beta but not holding my breath.

I never filter out full servers and maybe 5% of the time are they actually full when I try them.

Half the time the numbers are way off.