Feinting? just remove it.

• Before feinting was implemented this game was much more skillbased. Feiting is just stupid, because you don’t have to learn it. Dodging, usefully blocking and comboing is difficult and you have to get used to it. But feinting is espacially with the Vanguard just shit. All the Vanguards weapons are so overpowered, because you can just feint and then hit the enemy faster than you could with a dagger. With the difference, you do a lot of damage.

• Yeah feinting just kills the game in my opinion…

They could improve it somehow or make something different.

• Or you could just learn the skill of parrying once the weapon comes off windup or play with a more dodge and footwork defence rather than relying on parrying. Shields are also great for pummeling a feinter.

• Most duels or 1v1 situations would last incredibly long if feinting was removed.
    Not to mention removing feints would make several slow-swinging weapons unviable - maul for instance.
    Feinting will not be removed but if it makes you feel better, the January patch will be increasing the stamina cost to feint for all weapons.

• I think feinting makes it more skill based. You have to judge whether or not your enemy is gonna swing or trick you. In matches people feint all the time to trick people who are half decent at the game to get that quick kill and move on to the next person. Chivalry I would say is 60% mental as you need to have a sharper and calmer mind when fighting in high pressure situations to be able to make those important decisions or moves quickly and not block or lmb to victory.

Feinting adds more depth into the game and teaches people not to mindlessly run into battles. The current feint system works perfectly and there’s nothing wrong with it.

*edit, lmb or block to failure.

• Feinting believably is a skill.

However, calling a feint is a total crapshoot when it is done believably, nothing will really save you due to a lack of effective fallback defenses.

It is rock paper scissors.
    With a degree in statistics you can determine what may give you the best chance of winning, however, you cannot win every time.

Once the efficient feint skill-level has been crossed, feinting serves as a skill equalizer.
    Eventually, you will get screwed because of it, not because you were bad, but instead you made a call that is impossible to make right every time.
    You can have a personal theory in the subject, but it will always get screwed eventually.

Is it good? Is it bad?

I cannot really tell you.

• Personally, I hate hate hate feints. I rarely use them myself and usually it’s just to readjust the timing on a running maul swing. I think the problem with feints wouldn’t be solved by increasing stamina cost, but I’ll take whatever I can. Personally, I also hate shields. I don’t like fighting turtles. I like my fights to end because someone fudged a parry or you got in a nice kick or whatever, not because someone faked a hit.

Maybe what could be a way to try solving this issue would be making parrying harder to do, but removing feints? Parries could have a smaller window in which they are effective, or increase the time in between parries (maybe even based on weapons).

Point being, I don’t like feints and would not be bothered if they were removed.

• I don’t agree with any of this post - feinting works fine, but you have to learn to anticipate it and only put up your block at the last instant.

• Feinting should slow down your weapon’s release if you choose to attack right after feinting since you interrupted your swing and then restarted it, giving the other more of a window to parry the simple attack->feint->attack strategy that works a lot. It should be a little more complicated than that to get around someone’s guard.

• While I don’t wish feinting to be removed, I have to concede that lookdown overhead feints with long weapons is a bitch given that correctly predicting its feint from a real attack is extremely risky since a real attack will hit you almost immediately after windup so you have little to no reaction time to parry.

Again, feinting stamina cost is being increased so there will be penalties for people who rely on feint spam to win duels.
    Making a convincing a feint such that you do it at the last possible milliseconds of a windup is a skill - feint spam is not.

• @Sir:

While I don’t wish feinting to be removed, I have to concede that lookdown overhead feints with long weapons is a bitch given that correctly predicting its feint from a real attack is extremely risky since a real attack will hit you almost immediately after windup so you have little to no reaction time to parry.

Again, feinting stamina cost is being increased so there will be penalties for people who rely on feint spam to win duels.
    Making a convincing a feint such that you do it at the last possible milliseconds of a windup is a skill - feint spam is not.

A very minor amount of skill. I’ve never used feints aggressively, not in at least a month or two, but I could easily pick it up and use it like an average player, and in a few hours I’d essentially have it mastered, including combo feints. It’s insanely easy relative to the gargantuan boost in power it grants you. It’s not balanced or in any regards fun.

• They’ve removed feints from chivalry in a patch called age of chivalry, you should try it radiant. Quite a popular patch…

• I bet the OP plays a archer.

• I like feints. They’re one of a rock-paper-scissors setup of strategies:

1. Aggressive play - no block/parry, always attack
    2. Reactionary play - attack only after block/parry
    3. Tricky play - attack with feints thrown in

Reactionary play beats aggressive play. Tricky play beats reactionary play. And aggressive play beats tricky play (oh you tried to fake me out with feints? guess what, my stab was for real). And at a certain skill level it’s about reading your opponent’s behavior and picking the best strategy to counter it. For example, low-health, intermediate-skill players tend to use reactionary play and can often be easily finished with feints.

Feints have other uses, too. Re-adjusting mis-timed swings, canceling potentially team-damaging attacks, etc. It’s still possible to create “feints” of sorts without the feint mechanic - swing delays, breaking rhythm with a pause, drawing attacks and moving in for the counter during recovery time. At the end of the day it’s about hitting your opponent while their block is mis-timed or mis-placed.

However, it was pretty clearly demonstrated in another thread that combat without feinting can be very interesting/engaging/fun. I would be very happy with a server option to disable feinting (and another one to disable shields…???), and I would happily try it.

• @Afobik:

I like feints. They’re one of a rock-paper-scissors setup of strategies:

Reactionary play beats aggressive play. Tricky play beats reactionary play. And aggressive play beats tricky play (oh you tried to fake me out with feints? guess what, my stab was for real). And at a certain skill level it’s about reading your opponent’s behavior and picking the best strategy to counter it. For example, low-health, intermediate-skill players tend to use reactionary play and can often be easily finished with feints.

Feints have other uses, too. Re-adjusting mis-timed swings, canceling potentially team-damaging attacks, etc. It’s still possible to create “feints” of sorts without the feint mechanic - swing delays, breaking rhythm with a pause, drawing attacks and moving in for the counter during recovery time. At the end of the day it’s about hitting your opponent while their block is mis-timed or mis-placed.

However, it was pretty clearly demonstrated in another thread that combat without feinting can be very interesting/engaging/fun. I would be very happy with a server option to disable feinting (and another one to disable shields…???), and I would happily try it.

Nicely said, I agree with everything except the last paragraph regarding no-feint or no-shield servers, which would divide the community. The idea in itself is ok, but the effect is not that desirable imo.

• @Afobik:

I like feints. They’re one of a rock-paper-scissors setup of strategies:

this thread is interesting but truly feint is not going to be gone so they only real option is to learn to use it and learn to defend against it… you can do it, if i can. there are far better players then me in this game. You will not always win a fight with it nor will you always win every fight.

All in all good posts and good points in the quote :D

• I think a lot of people here just get killed by feinters and decide they don’t like it just as the same as if they got killed by archers and decide archers is way OP (Which I see practically every single time I play the game).

Personally, I don’t use feinting, not because I don’t like it but because I always seem to forget its an option. Nor do I really see a lot of people using it, and thats okay. I do agree with the notion of increasing the stamina cost of it, the feinters I do see tend to spam it. Spamming is a part of any game though, if you put the ability to wide-swing, you’re going to have a lot of people wide-swinging just as you see a lot of Vanguards poking. Its not like it can’t be countered, its quite easy to, actually. This whole game is rock, paper, scissors and I think we all can say we tend to favor rock, just like someone else may favor scissors.

Don’t remove it, it does take skill to use and it adds more of a “sword-fight” feeling to the whole deal. I see too many people bitch and bitch about certain aspects of the game just because they are 5-11 K/D and another person is 15-3.