Hello Everyone, Some Feedback for the Developers

• Hello All,

I’m a new player from the recently held free weekend and I am really enjoying the feel of this game, both me and my brother have decided to purchase it.

I thought I would give some feed-back and see if it could help the developers.

Games Biggest Strengths:
    -Controls and Combat Feel very good
    -Combat feels skilled, difficult, but also fair.
    -Atmosphere is quite good, from the creative objective missions to the often hilarious voice-acting

• Nailed the "Medieval first-person fighter thing in general.

Where to go from here?

Please please please Don’t make the same mistakes I’ve seen other games make. Advertising and exposure should be your number one concern! People need to know about your game! Set up tournaments, have more free weekends, advertise! Anything you can do.

Your next biggest thing needs to be bug-fixing, nothing sullies a new players view of the game more than being told that the same bug has been in the game for the last 6 patches. It makes people think you don’t care.

Three Words: Software. Development. Kit. It’s really a no brainer. Have players pump your game with a constant stream of new content for free? Most players will openly hand you the right to use their stuff if you decide to make it official.

Lastly, the UI could really use some touching up. Damage Numbers Ala Tf2, Objective Progress at the top of the screen, make ammo containers more obvious so I don’t have no idea where they are until I’m on my last arrow. Hit sounds, score values popping up when acquired, round clock. There’s a lot that could be added to better the experience.

That’s all for now. Great game guys, would love to see it succeed (especially now that you have my money, heh.)

Thanks.

• @LuckyThirteen:

Damage Numbers, Objective Progress at the top of the screen, score values popping up when acquired.

I like these ones.

• Hi there, thanks for your feedback and opinions!

Fortunately most of your concerns will hopefully be addressed with the upcoming content patch, this will also contain a multitude of bug fixes. The team have been working on this for many months.

Once this patch is out of the way I believe the team will concentrate on addressing more specific bugs and getting those squashed, and releasing more tools to help with modding, they have stated this is an area they have an interest in because this game practically spawned from the Age of Chivalry HL2 mod that they created. The team ask for patience with this though because although as modders themselves they realise it is important, it takes a lot of time to put something comprehensive and useful together.

As to the UI, some improvements are coming in a future patch, I don’t agree it should be TF2’ised though, since damage numbers flying allover the place, UI indicators filling the screen and so on would take away the authentic medieval feel and immersion. I don’t think many players of Chiv want HEADSHOT! MMMMMONSTERKILLL! And so on popping up everywhere. Damage numbers would be a nice server-side command though or something you could switch on with Bots for practice and learning the weapons.

Chiv has quite a minimal UI because of this. UI indicator Arrows should appear pointing to Ammo boxes when you are on low ammo, 15% or something, can’t remember the exact value, you should be able to still see those from far away.

Round timer and objective progress can be found on the scoreboard though! This may also be touched up a bit in the upcoming patch, I suggest having a look around the Announcements and Beta Feedback section to have a look what’s coming!

Nice comprehensive feedback post for once though, thanks! :)

• @HandsomeHodge:

@LuckyThirteen:

Damage Numbers, Objective Progress at the top of the screen, score values popping up when acquired.

I like these ones.

I don’t, having a HUD-like thing just doesn’t fit with the medieval context we’re in. You don’t know much, just what you have to do and when it’s necessary it tells you where the ammo is and after you’ve played the map once you know where the ammo crates are so I don’t really see this as an issue. Also, you can see the objective progress, when you’re moving a pushable you can see the progress in the chat and when you press tab. With the other stuff it’s exactly the same as far as i know.

I do, however, agree on the SDK thingy but hey, they can’t shit more people, this is a small team and they’re probably putting everything they have in this patch right now and it is BIG.

I agree on the bug-fixing fact, but a lot of them will be handled in the next patch, conclusion? Chivalry: Medieval Warfare= Motherf’'ing awesome :D

• The only wants I’ve ever had would be a map that you could call up, which may also show positions of friendlies.

Otherwise though I think the UI fits. You’re supposed to be keeping your eyes on your enemy and locking blades, feeling your face get smashed in, not keeping your eyes on all your bars and metres while doing maths hehe.

• Not really sure I buy the minimal HUD being part of the medievil theme. I mean come on, we already have health bars and ammo counters, not to mention the massive words that appear on the screen whenever the objective changes.

I think it would actually aid the flow if I could check all of my relevant information without temporarily blinding myself (the scoreboard).

Also, I know that the marker appears at low ammo, but often I find myself at about half, wanting to reload before the next push, and I cant find the ammo.

• THIS is the way to make a constructive thread about the game… Not “worst game ever this sucks blah blah blah”. State the things you like, then make a list of a few things you don’t like and discuss how they can be fixed. Thank you for being part of this community!

• I would also like to point out that nearly any elements of the gui could be made an option in the settings if they bother you.

Maybe you can even have the “Medievil” Setup (current gui) and the “Tactical” Setup (more bells and whistles.

• I just don’t deem it necessary, if you play with your weapon you know how much damage you do on what part of the body you’re hitting. It’s very easy to learn the stats and info of your weapon just by playing with it a couple of times, no need to put an extra effort in it. And as far as the objectivethings go, It’s clear enough as it is.

Bob, you said something about a map where you could see friendlies, i agree on a map it has to be a full screen map you can pop up like in dayZ and so on, not a mini map. Also maybe just make it a map of the area and it only shows friendlies and enemies that are hitting friendlies for people on siege weapons and such? If an officer would b appointed for each team at the beginning of a TO match or so (with a vote maybe?) who can see the movement of friendlies and enemies who are dealing damage to them so he can give some tactical advice/orders. Might enhance the war feeling, with some real tactical play perhaps.

• @LuckyThirteen:

I would also like to point out that nearly any elements of the gui could be made an option in the settings if they bother you.

Maybe you can even have the “Medievil” Setup (current gui) and the “Tactical” Setup (more bells and whistles.

HOPEFULLY that sort of thing should be moddable once the team gets round to looking at that side of things. That way people can have what UI they want. :)

And yep a call-up map I meant, rather than a radar style thing. Using the “INCOMING!” command or something similar could flash the person’s icon on that map for a sec or two, that way people could call out where the fight is.

• @Slaughtervomit:

THIS is the way to make a constructive thread about the game… Not “worst game ever this sucks blah blah blah”. State the things you like, then make a list of a few things you don’t like and discuss how they can be fixed. Thank you for being part of this community!

Even though i don’t agree with everything you say, i do agree with Slaughtervomit on this one, you’re not some whining dude who comes complaining because he can’t ahndle it, you wrote a constructive thread with some real arguments in there. May we meet on the battlefield one day, with or without a more detailed HUD :P

• Hey, I think I bumped into you in the only server that I could actually find a slot in the whole week end.
    Good constructive feedback, but I think the “more free week ends” bit isn’t a really good idea. I had to stick mostly with offline mode this week end, very hard to find a slot on the servers.

• @The:

Hey, I think I bumped into you in the only server that I could actually find a slot in the whole week end.
    Good constructive feedback, but I think the “more free week ends” bit isn’t a really good idea. I had to stick mostly with offline mode this week end, very hard to find a slot on the servers.

I feel you, I really do. SMNC, another of my favorite games that sadly isn’t doing so well right now, had a similar issue.

The game needed more players, but new players just weren’t any fun to play with. I view the resulting alienation of the incoming player base as one of the things that really hurt the game in the end.

Like I said, a new game like this thrives on exposure, and developers openly welcoming new players into their game, allowing them to try before buying could be a great tool.

• @LuckyThirteen:

Like I said, a new game like this thrives on exposure, and developers openly welcoming new players into their game, allowing them to try before buying could be a great tool.

I think it would be better to give 30 minutes trial to everyone with a steam account.
    (Maybe restrict it to accounts that already have at least 1 paid game to avoid abuses).

I remember buying Battlefield 1943 on Xbox360, after they allowed 30 mins trial for everyone. I tried it, I liked it, I bought it.

• @HandsomeHodge:

@LuckyThirteen:

I like these ones.

Breaks immersion completely. This isn’t an MMO ffs.

• Hey LuckyThirteen, thanks for the kind words and thought out feedback. Bug fixing is definitely a priority - we’re cleaving through a lot of them in this patch, and the next patch now that all this content that’s been in the works for a while is ready will be focused even more around polishing up the mechanics to be as bugfree as possible, as well as adding other usability features that’ve been requested. And you’re right on the money again, because after that our focus will be on getting an SDK out so we can finally see all the cool stuff the community has been eager to make for Chivalry.

I have to echo what others have said about more info on the HUD however. It was a design decision that your HUD should be as minimal as possible in Chivalry - hence why objective markers (which also show ammo boxes for you, by the way) can be toggled on and off on the fly, and your health and stamina bars only appear when they aren’t full.

We don’t have damage spread of any kind in this game - you either hit or miss. Furthermore, small damage numbers don’t matter so much, because of the few hits required to kill an enemy; what players have to be most aware of is how many hits required for the kill. So I don’t think displaying damage numbers is really that important in Chivalry, because once you get a feel for the weapons you’ll always have a pretty good idea of how many more hits you’ll need to kill an enemy. I played TF2 with damage numbers and hit sounds enabled because I found it really improved the experience, since you rarely knew how much damage you were doing in that game - but I never have that problem in Chivalry.

As for showing score values - well, you get points for doing objectives and killing enemies. If enemies are dying or you’re near the objective, you’re probably getting points ;) Objective progress is also already displayed via the objective markers and on the scoreboard, so having it at the top of your screen as well would be a little redundant.

Oh, and as far as exposure goes - more really cool stuff is definitely coming up in both the short and long term, but I can’t say anything about it now. Stay tuned! :D

• If you’re worried about your points, hold TAB…

• @SlyGoat:

Hey LuckyThirteen, thanks for the kind words and thought out feedback. Bug fixing is definitely a priority - we’re cleaving through a lot of them in this patch, and the next patch now that all this content that’s been in the works for a while is ready will be focused even more around polishing up the mechanics to be as bugfree as possible, as well as adding other usability features that’ve been requested. And you’re right on the money again, because after that our focus will be on getting an SDK out so we can finally see all the cool stuff the community has been eager to make for Chivalry.

I have to echo what others have said about more info on the HUD however. It was a design decision that your HUD should be as minimal as possible in Chivalry - hence why objective markers (which also show ammo boxes for you, by the way) can be toggled on and off on the fly, and your health and stamina bars only appear when they aren’t full.

We don’t have damage spread of any kind in this game - you either hit or miss. Furthermore, small damage numbers don’t matter so much, because of the few hits required to kill an enemy; what players have to be most aware of is how many hits required for the kill. So I don’t think displaying damage numbers is really that important in Chivalry, because once you get a feel for the weapons you’ll always have a pretty good idea of how many more hits you’ll need to kill an enemy. I played TF2 with damage numbers and hit sounds enabled because I found it really improved the experience, since you rarely knew how much damage you were doing in that game - but I never have that problem in Chivalry.

As for showing score values - well, you get points for doing objectives and killing enemies. If enemies are dying or you’re near the objective, you’re probably getting points ;) Objective progress is also already displayed via the objective markers and on the scoreboard, so having it at the top of your screen as well would be a little redundant.

Oh, and as far as exposure goes - more really cool stuff is definitely coming up in both the short and long term, but I can’t say anything about it now. Stay tuned! :D

All this is pretty much why I love the game so much. Everything is really minimal and small so that all focus goes to the fighting and the game rewards you richly with score for doing objectives, even more than the guy who goes around killing.

What I have noticed about this game is that it is VERY visual dependent.
    All the information you ever need can be seen. If an enemy is bleeding a lot, he’s on very low health and would most definitely die by a Dagger Stab. Wind-ups can be seen and predicted, giving you a chance to block. Arrows have a visible tail of air behind it, making it easy to find the archers. All important objectives are highlighted with a small arrow and text. Etc etc.
    In a sense, it’s almost a skill to keep attention to everything. Keeping your head cool and make sure that all your attention goes on the Knight that’s about to cut it off is something that you need to learn. Thankfully to all of my previous experience in Mount and Blade, it’s pretty much second nature to me now.

Now, this doesn’t mean that you don’t have valid complaints. I just think that you need to look at this from a game designs point of view.

• Nice OP.

To throw in my tuppence worth… I’m a “less is more” voter on HUD stuff.

• @LuckyThirteen:

Lastly, the UI could really use some touching up. Damage Numbers Ala Tf2, Objective Progress at the top of the screen, make ammo containers more obvious so I don’t have no idea where they are until I’m on my last arrow. Hit sounds, score values popping up when acquired, round clock. There’s a lot that could be added to better the experience.

Damage numbers I dont like, its too distracting and reduces immersion.

Objective progress you can press tab to see.

Agree on the ammo containers, can be a pain to find until you learn the maps.

Hit sounds would be nice.

No score values.