Recommended Specs VS. My Specs.

• I am having a hard time determining if my current rig is compatible for this game. I have been asking a few questions around general computer parts and how general CPU power determines how well the game plays. Out of what I have learned, recently game developers have put more into making the graphics card use power that the processor used to use. This puts less stress on needing a monster rig of a CPU; as of what I learned. Also having more RAM will allow a program to run faster and allow more programs to run. As a recap for people who don’t have the “minimal requirements” for the game, here they are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB RAM

As a matter of fact those nearly match my specs for my own computer, mine are:

Processor: Intel i2 Duo Dual Core 2.0 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB RAM DDR2
    Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 280

I didn’t list the graphics requirements for the game because I already know I more than qualify for that part of the requirements. My question today is if my processor can handle this game. If so, what settings will my game run smoothly on without looking like it came out of a donkey’s rear. Also I am planning on buying 2 more GB of DDR2 RAM so it doesn’t become a concern in the future for this game and other things. Please reply for recommendations to Types of processors if need be, if not, help me find the road I should be going after and if I am already there.

• The devs stated the minimum required processor.

Your’s is lower than the minimum.

You ask if your processor can handle it.

You should be fine though. Give it a go.

• My point was that I heard newer games use more of the graphics card than older games. If that is so, then less is needed of the processor. Does this still apply even though the minimum for this game is higher?

Edit: So I should expect Medium to Low quality settings to run this game fairly until I can upgrade, fair enough.

• Sadly, no. Your processor is almost the same as mine, I have a 2.5 Quad core Duo and I had to Over clock to 3.0 it to get this game to run half way decent. Since yours is even slower you would have to do the same. But if you don’t know what you are doing, you could easily fry your system.

I also had to get 6 gigs of ram and a GTX 560TI GPU as well. I run the game at 1200x800 with pretty much everything turned off or way down to get 50 FPS on most maps with 24 or less players. Any more players and the game really lags.

• So there’s no point in merely trying the game then seeing what I need to improve on. I am aware that there was a Free Weekend on Steam this weekend; ironically I was not on Steam the entire weekend to be aware of it.

When I get the money I was planning on upgrading to an Intel i5 Quad Core 2.3 GHz CPU, but before that getting another 2 GB of RAM. I am familiar with overclocking a CPU, except not having done it myself or using an overclocked CPU. Even with my GeForce GTX 280 it would still fail to run well?

• Right. Well thank you everyone for helping me get a better grip on the matter. I will put in some time and money to get the parts I need. I have been in need of an upgrade for a long time now so I might as well start for this year. It will be costly but worth it.

Also no, the Free Weekend ended roughly around 4:00 PM EST. I was late in catching it, plus haven’t been on Steam since Thursday to notice.

• Well Chiv is still at 50% for another few hours. Torn Banner may do a similar event again in future (I’m guessing it was them who put this forward), if they saw a good sales boost as a result of this one.

Also yeah I’d say get a 3ghz CPU nowadays really for most games. Torn Banner hasn’t the years of experience, money and resources (test rigs etc) that someone like Blizzard and Valve has for optimising games, since this is their first commercial development.

A system that meets the minimum reqs should be able to start the game up and run on minimum settings, nothing else, and they can’t guarantee that it will be fun.

The recommended specs outline what’s needed for the game to be played at decent settings (Medium probs), and have a good time with it running smoothly.

Hope you can get what you need! :)