FFA is kinda braindead

• I don’t like FFA very much in this game, everybody just cowardly killing everybody when engaged in a fight , its just braindead bashing of one another and it feels stupid.

I love the other gamemodes , I love the arena last team wins but FFA is silly

• Well… isn’t that the point of FFA? Kill shit, disregard strategy? Every so often you can find duel servers out there in FFA mode, but the fact remains that FFA game modes are casual candy. Hell, I enjoy them once in a while and usually end up winning or being a top contender as an MAA. I often handle multiple opponents at once and crash the mosh pit’s party for a cleanup. There is no honor, only glory in bloodshed.

• Pretty much what madhorde said. It’s fun sometimes to just jump in and cut some heads off with the dagger(you can actually do that :D). I treat it mostly as a weapon level up mode to get some weapons quickly.

So, yeah. It’s not a game mode for strategy or tactics. Just swing your sword back and forth and have some braindead fun.

• There is some kind of skill involved; it’s useful for developing situational awareness. You win if you can prevent being frequently backstabbed.

• FFA is bad, very vanguard favored usually. But guess how many QQ topics there would be if it wouldn’t be implemented?

• It’s a rather uninteresting mode.
    I make the best of it when an Obj Server suddenly switch to FFA but that’s pretty much it.
    I either go fist, or “the power of non-violence” mode (only blocking with my shield until the opponent gets killed from behind or runs away).

@OmmNomNom:

FFA is bad, very vanguard favored usually. But guess how many QQ topics there would be if it wouldn’t be implemented?

And yeah, good point. At least it keeps some of the mindless away from Obj servers.

• FFA is a lot more enjoyable if you don’t take it very seriously :D

• @SlyGoat:

FFA is a lot more enjoyable if you don’t take it very seriously :D

Exactly.

I usually use it to warm up before heading into team games when I start playing. I’ll also use it to try out different things. If getting back stabbed all the time isn’t your thing, try finding servers with 12 players or less or try duel servers.

• If you don’t like FFA, don’t play it. Simple. Tons of people don’t like LTS either. Shall we remove all game modes? No. Just play what you like. I for one enjoy the chaotic atmosphere. And while Vanguard are usually at the top of the list, I find it more efficient to go in with MAA and just vulture everyone to pieces :-)

• @ATF_E1:

If you don’t like FFA, don’t play it. Simple. Tons of people don’t like LTS either. Shall we remove all game modes? No. Just play what you like. I for one enjoy the chaotic atmosphere. And while Vanguard are usually at the top of the list, I find it more efficient to go in with MAA and just vulture everyone to pieces :-)

I take it as a matter of pride when I beat all those shitty helicopters with my MAA prowess.

• We have FFA every 5th game on our server; it gives players a chance to either, have a fag break or mindlessly kill stuff.

It used to be every third game but I’m trying to cut down my smoking…

Conclusive proof: FFA is good for your health.

• FFA is great, as others have stated, for your situational awareness.

It’s a great way to practice fighting multiple opponents at once, learn the proper ranges on a variety of weapons quickly and practice any other maneuvers that you think might benefit you in other gamemodes (ducking attacks, feinting, feint-parrying etc).

Out of all the important skills in this game, I think the one I learned most in FFA (and I’m still working on) is how to properly alternate back and forth between two enemies at once. Facing off with an enemy and leaving proper distance between him and yourself allows you to start an attack (say an overhead) facing him, then use sprint and switch real quick to another enemy to catch them off guard. If you catch him idle or in windup, you’ll flinch him just long enough so that you can start another attack and then aim it towards the first enemy you engaged.

• FFA is one of my most favorite game modes. There are certain rules you should follow to have an enjoyable FFA experience though.

1.) Do not even bother playing Arena with over 10 players on the server.

2.) In general, 12 players is best for an FFA, and you definitely should not go over 16.

3.) Don’t take it seriously. Use it to practice dealing with chaotic clusters as well as how to analyze player behaviors in such situations.

4.) Discard your silly notions of honor*. Be the biggest kill stealing jerk in the world and feast upon the anger of everyone else on the server. This is especially satisfying if you get a quadruple KS with a firepot as MAA from a mile away.
    *An exception to this rule is that if an opponent brings out his fists, you must too. You may be a despicable scoundrel, but you’re still a MAN aren’t you?

5.) Try to have friends on the server so the votekick that immediately occurs after the afforementioned quadruple firepot KS doesn’t pass.

GLHF

• Its just a different strategy, look around more and watch for people running over. Pick your battles carefully and dont draw out the fight - quick in and quick out. If someone is charging over circle your opponent and let your opponent take the wild vanguard swing.

• i like ffa. every men for him self. there is some strategy involved also. i like it mostly because there are almost no archers playing ffa. cant stand archers.

• The only thing that ruins the FFAs right now for me are the maps. Some of the maps are just terrible. What makes a good FFA map are lots of chokepoints, high priority positions. The location of ammo boxes could therefore be adjusted. These are the maps I find terrible for FFAs (my view):

Arena
    Stoneshill
    Throne Room (it does have chokepoints but it´s too small)

I hope the devs will redo the maplist a bit for FFAs.

• If you think limited vision, chokepoints, map design, melee endurance…etc are giving you a hard time efficiently playing FFA… you’re just a napcake.

Playing archer class (bowman) in FFA is the real pain in the ass. A test for your nerves and personal skill! Archer is so underpowered in this game, even more in FFA, that it seems like a joke. Most of the time you hardly have enough time to draw 1 single freakin’ arrow with warbow before “someone” hits you in FFA. Yet Torn Banner Studios decided nerfing archer class even further is a smart move and increased draw speed time even longer. And hey, don’t even try to sell me longbow/shortbow… they are for killing flies, even fly would probably require 2x headshot to drop dead.

Often only the most skilled aimers can visibly excel in FFA with positive K/D ratio. When there are any archers in FFA at all.