Shield damage

• I do not know if this was added already or if its to late to add, but I think it would be cool if like you had a shield and a blunt weapon hit it, it would make a dent and you could bend the shield. And if there are wood shields, when it gets hit a lot it could break a little… just an idea, feed back please :D :D :D

• This would be indeed a pretty nice visual effect.

• NOw that would be total immersion.

Could almost become a trademark for the game.

• Ooh- It would be awesome to have bits of the standard chip off the shield as it is damaged.

• I think shelds (specially wooden ones) should break, pretty mcuh like in mount and blade. It would probably make combat even more interesting, and addign an extra bonus to dodging.

• In real life shield was hard to destroy. It was defender’s arm that was loosing power and eventually lower the shield by exhaustion. Tough there is such thing like “shield damage” even in the armory, so expect shields to be breakable.

And i think Tibbs in one of discussions told us they are thinking of shield like a real protection, so even if shield - guard is not up, lowered shield still will protect from harm, alas not as good as when block is pushed.

• @yush:

…And i think Tibbs in one of discussions told us they are thinking of shield like a real protection, so even if shield - guard is not up, lowered shield still will protect from harm, alas not as good as when block is pushed.

Not 100% sure but i think he said that the shield will protect only when you’re actively blocking or else it will be op.

• The only exception to this is projectiles I believe. Melee hits will always have to be actively blocked.

• @georgatos7:

Not 100% sure but i think he said that the shield will protect only when you’re actively blocking or else it will be op.

I think that was the opposite of what he said :D

• So it will deflect projectiles without blocking. Good. That’s the way it should be. Alas, i wont use a shield ;P

• I think shield damage would complement sword only fights like in Rune but in chivalry when you have those speedy archers always keeping one step ahead of you while firing a volley of arrows behind… whats to happen when your shield breaks?

• @King:

I think shield damage would complement sword only fights like in Rune but in chivalry when you have those speedy archers always keeping one step ahead of you while firing a volley of arrows behind… whats to happen when your shield breaks?

now that’s a simple question :D, you face an horrible death with 8 arrows on your back and one on your ass :), at least that’s how it would happen in AoC.

• @Breno:

@King:

I think shield damage would complement sword only fights like in Rune but in chivalry when you have those speedy archers always keeping one step ahead of you while firing a volley of arrows behind… whats to happen when your shield breaks?

now that’s a simple question :D, you face an horrible death with 8 arrows on your back and one on your ass :), at least that’s how it would happen in AoC.

that will be terrible if your shield breaks.you’re dead when it happens

• The stamina bar removes the need for shield destruction.

That said, have there been many instances of alpha testers running ass backward towards archers with their shields on their back?

• Your shield isn’t at an optimal position when it’s on your back, it leaves most of your lower body exposed, plus you run slower and can’t sprint backwards. I wouldn’t really call it a strategically sound decision :P