Flail, the new Halberd?

• First of all, I do not wish to troll nor encourage trolling or anything of that sort. I do not wish to start flamewar, though after a few days in beta, I really need to say that Flail seems overpowered. Now, I get that it is supposed to be the “shield killer” since it can hit behind the shield more easily but because of its speed, it is very easy (and effective as well) just to lmb spam with the weapon and win. It is also very hard to block such weapon since the “spiked ball” (sorry for the lack of better term) is basically invisible during a swing. I can block it around 60-70% of times just because of sound and my intuition. That isn’t really skill based, is it… Also, the feignts with flail are especially deadly since it’s so fast weapon that if one puts the parry up, the hit after the feignt will hit 100% (unless you manage to get out of range of course). I’ve noticed a lot of players saying that it’s overpowered and I tend to believe it. Halberd got nerfed quite a bit (it doesn’t sucks but isn’t the best weapon anymore, of course), flail should be as well even before the patch is released.

• I’m sure there’ll be severe changes. Both flails are just warhammer upgrades right now, and the latter is getting nerfed in the update so it would make sense to adjust the flails too.

• Feinting with flails should be impossible. Physically speaking, a heavy ball on a chain is not actually the most maneouvrable thing out there, don’t you think?

• @havz0r:

Feinting with flails should be impossible. Physically speaking, a heavy ball on a chain is not actually the most maneouvrable thing out there, don’t you think?

Game balance > realism

• I might be going a little off topic here but what the heck. How does the flail feel like to play with? Do you actually get to swing it above your head in a circular move and then go tornado on people or is it just like any other weapon but with a chain instead of just iron or wood? (so actually does it have unique moves or smth like that)

• @Hadron:

@havz0r:

Feinting with flails should be impossible. Physically speaking, a heavy ball on a chain is not actually the most maneouvrable thing out there, don’t you think?

Game balance > realism

Well, Flails already defy #1, so why not inject some #2 to level it out, doncha say. ;)

• @WalrusJones:

@Hadron:

@havz0r:

Game balance > realism

Well, Flails already defy #1, so why not inject some #2 to level it out, doncha say. ;)

True, but I was just arguing against his “realism” think. Flail is quite powerful from what I know of it - hopefully it’ll be properly balanced come the new patch.

• Not the new Halberd, but the new LMB flailing weapon, so it’s aptly named.

• @Daiyuki:

Not the new Halberd, but the new LMB flailing weapon, so it’s aptly named.

Named after the real weapon :P

• @Hadron:

@havz0r:

Game balance > realism

And it’s exactly balance I was aiming after: already having a way to bypass blocks, feints are obsolete. It would also encourage developing specific playstyles with it, which I believe is good.

• @Hadron:

@Daiyuki:

Not the new Halberd, but the new LMB flailing weapon, so it’s aptly named.

Named after the real weapon :P

Yeah, I… I know. Making a parallel between the name and how it’s used effectively, hence the term “aptly named”.

• I do not wish to start flamewar, though after a few days in beta, I really need to say that Flail seems overpowered. Now, I get that it is supposed to be the “shield killer” since it can hit behind the shield more easily but because of its speed, it is very easy (and effective as well) just to lmb spam with the weapon and win.

It’s a new weapon and people have yet to learn how to fight with and against it properly.

I’ve played a bit with it and both flails are so slow your enemy should easily block them (if they’re at least half decent in parrying) as it takes a considerable amount of time to make a single swing, much less combo with it… It’s also very short, this coupled with slow attack and moderate damage (flanged mace is faster and kill in 2/3 hits as well) I rather doubt it can be considered overpowered.