Long Sword VS Sword of War

• I am a level 23 who mostly plays knight, and when I play knight I only use the Sword of War. In 1v1’s, I can go 10 kills 1 death, but I don’t know which sword is better. I never played with the longsword much, but I wonder, what weapon do you prefer?

• I’m just a newbie but I’m liking the Sword of War. I haven’t done any dueling though, but in battles I find that using it with the kite shield is a great combo as it has that small speed advantage.

• This is a really really tricky one because I think both weapons are very well balanced in terms of providing for different playstyles. Personally, I prefer the Sword of War, but a couple of other 2H users in our clan prefer the Longsword.

Ask yourself this question - do you rely on slashes/overheads more, or stabs more? If the former, then the Longsword is for you, if the latter, then the Sword of War is for you. The Longsword does more damage with overheads (reliably 2-hit overheading Vanguards) whereas the Sword of War has a faster and more damaging stab. The Longsword gained more popularity with the look down overheads though.

• Balance discussions go in the Balance forum guys, that’s why it’s there!

• As bob said this should probably be in the balance forum. As far as discussion goes I believe the Sword of War is a bit better simply because it combos faster and its stab does a lot more damage than the longsword.

• I personally like swords as my fast primary so I tend to prefer the Sword of War and Claymore.

• Out of curiosity, does anyone else find that opponents have trouble blocking Sword of War stabs? I keep seeing people mistiming their parries or letting me get around their shields with alarming frequency when I stab with it.

• I prefer longsword simply because of the extra range.
    It would be nice if that cvar thing was fixed to allow accurate testing of ranges on weapon attacks so we could compare all the stats.

• @DemonicChocobo:

Out of curiosity, does anyone else find that opponents have trouble blocking Sword of War stabs? I keep seeing people mistiming their parries or letting me get around their shields with alarming frequency when I stab with it.

I’ve noticed that as well.

• Both Longsword and Sworf of War are powerful swords, but I prefer Sword of War because of its stab and speed, can be very useful for combo attacks.

The balance between Longsword and Sword of War is pretty well balanced, but I fear that the Messer sorta falls out of favour due to it being too weak incomparing to those two longswords.

• @wildwulfy:

Both Longsword and Sworf of War are powerful swords, but I prefer Sword of War because of its stab and speed, can be very useful for combo attacks.

The balance between Longsword and Sword of War is pretty well balanced, but I fear that the Messer sorta falls out of favour due to it being too weak incomparing to those two longswords.

Messer is awesome, but it doesn’t have the reach and power of the other two…

• The messer is very powerful, but perhaps not as versatile. The messer is deals pierceblunt damage. An advantage vs knights and vanguards (van is downed by two swings). But it must be played different than the two other swords due to the lack of range and stab.

Also, its swings seems to be harder to block for new players.

I primarily play vanguard, and have met some truly brutal Messer knights in duels.

• @Delfagro:

The messer is very powerful, but perhaps not as versatile. The messer is deals pierceblunt damage. An advantage vs knights and vanguards (van is downed by two swings). But it must be played different than the two other swords due to the lack of range and stab.

Also, its swings seems to be harder to block for new players.

I primarily play vanguard, and have met some truly brutal Messer knights in duels.

Hmmmm… I should try and vary my playstyle even more…

• @Hadron:

@wildwulfy:

Both Longsword and Sworf of War are powerful swords, but I prefer Sword of War because of its stab and speed, can be very useful for combo attacks.

Messer is awesome, but it doesn’t have the reach and power of the other two…

The messer has higher slash and overhead damage than the longsword, but yeah, it’s slower and shorter range. Seems to me it would be on more even ground if it was a bit faster, maybe equal to the longsword.

• I’m pretty new, but I like the longsword. It has more range and hits harder. If I need more speed, I switch to my secondary. It’s worked out pretty well for me so far.

• I really don’t understand why the sword of war’s stab does so much more damage than the longsword…should be the other way around if you ask me.

• Because the Sword of War’s focus is stabbing while the Longswords is overheading, to cater to people’s playstyles.

• From about rank 14 on I have only ever carried the SoW as my Knight’s two hander when I am playing seriously. I love the stab on that weapon, since most of my damage always begins with a stab. The Longsword is a nice weapon as well, but the lack of stab damage made me stick by my Sword of Love War.

• Sword of war 1H needs a buff. It loses a lot of it’s edge transitioning from 2H if you compare the longsword’s stats from 2H to 1H.
    SoW 1H combo speed and windup speed ends up being exactly equal to 1H longsword, also it ends up with higher recovery times vs LS 1H - it’s the opposite in 2H use.

What’s the deal with this?

Also why does a weapon designed for stabbing lose more stabbing power (20% base damage drop) when switching to 1H compared to LS which only loses 15.38% of its damage?
    I’m guessing it was to prevent SoW from two-shotting vanguard with stabs to the torso. Nonetheless, how about a .05 tweak to some of the recovery and combo speeds of SoW 1H so it retains some of the advantage it had over LS in 2H usage.

• @Martin:

Because the Sword of War’s focus is stabbing while the Longswords is overheading, to cater to people’s playstyles.

Except the Longsword has more things working against its overheads than the SoW has against its stabs. The longsowrd is long (well duh) which means you are more likely to hit the ground after a successful overhead and stun yourself. It’s also slower than the SoW which makes the overhead much easy to block. Overhead attacks tend to rely on combos more to transition into them and the SoW’s combos are waaay faster than the longsword’s. The SoW is a bit shorter so it can’t stab quite as far but it’s a rather small draw back compared to the Longsword.

I’m not saying that it’s bad to have different playstyles with weapons I just think the SoW is a superior choice to the Longsword overall.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.