Another Armour Thread

• BEFORE YOU ALL YELL AT ME;

• I understand that the art team is very limited which makes this awkward
    • I know suggestions for armour and customisation have been done to death

BUT

I don’t care. I think it’s important to voice your opinions, and Torn Banner have displayed their excitement to implement more in-depth customisation on several occasions. I apologise if these particular items have been suggested already - but due to the abundance of armour suggestions it’s hard to check haha.

(I have made sure that these are somewhat historically accurate and actually existed)

Light Armours (Archer, Man At Arms);

• Gambeson
    • Brigandine
    • Studded Leather

Medium Armours (Vanguard);

• Chainmail
    • Coat of Plates
    • Scalemail

Plate Armours (Knight);

• Plate
    • Alwyte
    • Gothic

HOW IS ARMOUR UNLOCKED?

It’s unlocked by levelling up that particular class (similar to your global rank, but with each class instead) - as controversial as this might be: think of how Battlefield 3 does it.

Or Alternatively: (Thanks to SlaughterVomit)

an armour set is unlocked after completing a row of weapons, for example; after completing the 2-handed axe tree you unlock the gothic armour, and after completing the hand-and-a-half tree you unlock the alwyte armour ect (an extra set of armour will need to be added for each class though, since 3 armours + 3 unlock trees = what do I start with?!)

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?

they’re all side-grades meaning that you don’t get benefits per-se, they just get different - for example; an armour that makes you more protected against one thing will mean you’re squishier against another… the armour you start with is the all-rounder, meaning that it doesn’t excel at any kind of defence but it doesn’t lack in any either (the current class weaknesses still apply though)

Extra Suggestion:

It would be amazing to have a plume on top of the knight or vanguard’s helmet which you’re able to cut off :'D

• I think the rank unlock system might be a bad idea, having to obtain a certain rank to wear armor kinda takes the fun out of it. Atleast the kill unlock system doesn’t take too long.

Everything else sounds alright, I tried to say this in my previous topic but couldn’t find the right words lol.

• Why not…. instead of a kill unlock system, like the weapons use…

A DEATH UNLOCK SYSTEM!?!!!??!?!? Muahahahahahahaha!

Edit: Mind you, rank is based on kills and assists.
    So, a rank based unlock system is a kill based system.

A death unlock system for tanking hits makes a little bit of sense when you unlock weapons through killing.

• You know exactly what I meant mister.

I like the idea of death unlock, that’s a neat idea.

• When did “armours” become a word? Its just armour with no “s” or armor if your American.

So instead of light armours its just light armour. No “s”

Like sheep. You don’t say sheeps.

Europeans seem to add the letter “s” on the end of English words.

• Watch out guys, Admiral “only here to correct you” has arrived.

• @Scribbz:

Watch out guys, Admiral “only here to correct you” has arrived.

I just want to know where this made up word “armours” comes from. Some English first language people are saying it now.

Some people like me read that word and get frustrated as its wrong. Random phycological… Thing that would take too long to explain.

• @lemonater47:

When did “armours” become a word? Its just armour with no “s” or armor if your American.

I’m quite confident it’s armours if it’s talking about different types of armour in the way I have done. I did a google search and it seems to be correct, but whatever - no more on the subject because it’s spam. I’ll change it if I feel the need to - also, you’re*

@Scribbz:

You know exactly what I meant mister.

I like the idea of death unlock, that’s a neat idea.

I think it’s a horrible idea - people shouldn’t be rewarded for dying, and I can already picture the newbies running in as meat shields to try to unlock it from the get-go. I personally still favour the class-levelling system… it will give players the incentive to use whatever weapon they want instead of forcing themselves to use weapons they don’t want to just to unlock more weapons. At least with this, players still feel like they’re doing something because they’re still unlocking their armour

• Could have it unlock alongside certain weapon types…

For example:

Vanguard unlocks all his spears, he then gets the Scalemail as an added reward for getting all his spears unlocked.

Knight gets all his hammers unlocked, he gets Gothic unlocked.

ect. ect.

• @Slaughtervomit:

Could have it unlock alongside certain weapon types…

For example:

Vanguard unlocks all his spears, he then gets the Scalemail as an added reward for getting all his spears unlocked.

Knight gets all his hammers unlocked, he gets Gothic unlocked.

ect. ect.

that’s actually a great idea :D but to add to that - I think you should still need to get kills to unlock the armour (the whole point for me at least is to encourage people to use their favourite weapons instead of using other weapons just to unlock stuff) - a rough example; you unlock the bearded axe for the knight, but now you need to get 500 kills with those weapons to get the armour (instead of unlocking it straight away)… but whatever, good idea!

• Well, I like the idea, but the armors would have to either be toned down a bit or have a large amount of heraldry/fabric on them somewhere so as to allow for instant recognition by teammates and enemies alike.

• Instead of again using weapons, why not just using a certain Objective score?
    The people caring about their precious k/d will not get it as fast as real useful people that way.

• @Hadron:

Well, I like the idea, but the armors would have to either be toned down a bit or have a large amount of heraldry/fabric on them somewhere so as to allow for instant recognition by teammates and enemies alike.

I agree, but it shouldn’t be too hard I don’t think… the armour would look different on each faction as it is, and any armour set that’s lacking in a surcoat or a large amount of fabric could have a coloured plume on the helmet to balance it out a bit. It’s a huge job for the art team but would be worth it. If the helmet is knocked off it will reveal either a blue or red coif depending on your faction

@Nivve:

Instead of again using weapons, why not just using a certain Objective score?
    The people caring about their precious k/d will not get it as fast as real useful people that way.

I suppose that’s similar to my first suggestion of having your class level up - and of course you do this by killing, and by doing the objective, so people who make themselves useful would benefit

• @TheCheekyTree:

(I have made sure that these are somewhat historically accurate and actually existed)

That’s somewhat nice. I couldn’t really care if it wasn’t truely historically accurate as long as it wasn’t genre-breaking(i.e. samurai or spartan armour)

@TheCheekyTree:

HOW IS ARMOUR UNLOCKED?

It’s unlocked by levelling up that particular class (similar to your global rank, but with each class instead) - as controversial as this might be: think of how Battlefield 3 does it.

Or Alternatively: (Thanks to SlaughterVomit)

an armour set is unlocked after completing a row of weapons, for example; after completing the 2-handed axe tree you unlock the gothic armour, and after completing the hand-and-a-half tree you unlock the alwyte armour ect (an extra set of armour will need to be added for each class though, since 3 armours + 3 unlock trees = what do I start with?!)

I like the alternative version, seems more easier and gives you more of a reward than just a new weapon. May I add a suggestion however? What if the armour was split into several layers(i.e. head, shoulders, torso or head, torso, legs) and that every extra unlock granted you a new layer?

@TheCheekyTree:

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?

they’re all side-grades meaning that you don’t get benefits per-se, they just get different - for example; an armour that makes you more protected against one thing will mean you’re squishier against another… the armour you start with is the all-rounder, meaning that it doesn’t excel at any kind of defence but it doesn’t lack in any either (the current class weaknesses still apply though)

I’m having a bad vibes about this bro. I feel that there are two ways to properly implement this; either that different armours shift the resitances of the classes but keeping the total ammount of resitance(i.e. Knight who changes armours gains 10% more blunt resistance but loses 10% pierce resistance, the total still being 30%, 20% Blunt and 10% pierce) or that it doesn’t give any benefits at all and merely becomes cosmetic. My personal preference lays with the latter.

@TheCheekyTree:

It would be amazing to have a plume on top of the knight or vanguard’s helmet which you’re able to cut off :'D

Yes, yes it would.

• I think the idea of Objective score unlock is pretty awesome. I hate seeing so many people running around only trying to get kills so they can get their new weapons, and completely abandoning the objectives. Rewards for helping your team win games rather than doing well as an individual is definitely something that this game needs. I know that when I was trying to unlock all my weapons I would try to help the team, but ultimately I was going for kills more than say, trying to push the corpse wagon or ram the castle gate down.

If people are afraid of teams becoming indistinguishable from one another with armor customization, why not limit the armor colors and shapes to the preexisting ones from the team. For instance, the Masons tend to have darker and more iron or bronze looking armor than the shiny silver stuff that the Agathas sport. The Agatha knight in particular has very little blue on him in comparison to other Agatha classes and it is still very easy to distinguish him from a Mason simply because of his shininess.

• @Vrchow:

I think the idea of Objective score unlock is pretty awesome. I hate seeing so many people running around only trying to get kills so they can get their new weapons, and completely abandoning the objectives. Rewards for helping your team win games rather than doing well as an individual is definitely something that this game needs. I know that when I was trying to unlock all my weapons I would try to help the team, but ultimately I was going for kills more than say, trying to push the corpse wagon or ram the castle gate down.

If people are afraid of teams becoming indistinguishable from one another with armor customization, why not limit the armor colors and shapes to the preexisting ones from the team. For instance, the Masons tend to have darker and more iron or bronze looking armor than the shiny silver stuff that the Agathas sport. The Agatha knight in particular has very little blue on him in comparison to other Agatha classes and it is still very easy to distinguish him from a Mason simply because of his shininess.

Already covered this in my previous thread.

No colors, just template skins
    T1: Rustic
    T2: Worn or battered
    etc

the skins would look different by team but similar among teammates.

• @SharpshotSid:

I’m having a bad vibes about this bro. I feel that there are two ways to properly implement this; either that different armours shift the resitances of the classes but keeping the total ammount of resitance(i.e. Knight who changes armours gains 10% more blunt resistance but loses 10% pierce resistance, the total still being 30%, 20% Blunt and 10% pierce) or that it doesn’t give any benefits at all and merely becomes cosmetic. My personal preference lays with the latter.

I don’t know if I’m reading it wrong but that’s pretty much what I suggested haha - a side-grade - of course how it’s going to work is up for interpretation - I just didn’t want to shower people with numbers so I didn’t bother haha

@SharpshotSid:

I like the alternative version, seems more easier and gives you more of a reward than just a new weapon. May I add a suggestion however? What if the armour was split into several layers(i.e. head, shoulders, torso or head, torso, legs) and that every extra unlock granted you a new layer?

it’s a nice thought but that would be a bit too much in my opinion. I think it should just be the armour set and possibly the helmet too.

• I like the idea if it’s strictly cosmetic. Then you know if the guy you’re facing is pretty experienced or not right off the bat, and obviously you’ll be able to recognize specific players as people to maybe avoid or gang up on.

I also like the idea of properly customizable helmets. So, for example, maybe there’s only 3 or 4 armour sets per class, but you can tweak your helmet to have different shapes, features, and colours.

As far as Agatha vs Mason, I don’t see it being a problem. The armour sets should maintain default colour templates per team, simply changing up the mesh (look).

• Cosmetic changes are completely fine. It would be annoying if it gave them a bonus.

And I found out why people say “armours”, it came from Europeans and the fact that our English language has exceptions to rules and stuff. Only recently too.