Continued strikes after death

• I think its a reasonable idea to allow a strike to finish after a player has been killed, allowing draws in duels, it has been countless times that me and an opponent exchange strikes but his lands a second before, rendering my final hit (which would have been the killing stirke) useless. The hit should be able to finish so that both players end up dead.

• Realistically its hard to say what would happen (I bet somebody knows tho) but i dont think its a good idea to encourage people to recklessly try to finish of somebody and if you think about how much the knight does damage with his two-hander… he could finish you of without even hitting you once before. :?

• Oh by the contrary, it wouldn’t be encouraging them to recklessly finish his opponent, as this could end up in his death too, it would encourage people to think about the last shot. And if the wind-up face is finished, meaning the strength has been given to the weapon, then even after death the hit should hurt.

• Well indeed it could go both ways ofcourse… seems like we need another opinion in here :D but i still think that the knight and vanguard would have an advantage since they use so hard hitting weapons.

• If someone is in mid swing and dies that means there is no more force acting on the weapon. Making the weapon if it does manage to impact does no or very little damage to the target. A swing is so damaging to a person as it has all that force behind it that keeps it going even after impact driving it deeper.

The weapon would also twist having a high chance that it would hit with a non leathal twist.

And remember a swing is actually a force pointing outwards. The persons arms keeps it in place. If that person lets go it would fly fowards rather than its original course.

So they have got it pretty much right.

• Game balance > realism.

• @Hadron:

Game balance > realism.

Agreed

• @Hadron:

Game balance > realism.

sooo? do you think it should be in or not?

• @Onetastic:

@Hadron K:

Game balance > realism.

sooo? do you think it should be in or not?

That would be a big fat NO.

• @lemonater47:

If someone is in mid swing and dies that means there is no more force acting on the weapon. Making the weapon if it does manage to impact does no or very little damage to the target. A swing is so damaging to a person as it has all that force behind it that keeps it going even after impact driving it deeper.

The weapon would also twist having a high chance that it would hit with a non leathal twist.

And remember a swing is actually a force pointing outwards. The persons arms keeps it in place. If that person lets go it would fly fowards rather than its original course.

So they have got it pretty much right.

What if it did 5 damage or something? It’s surely still going to be at least as “lethal” as a kick?

• In real life many duels ended up with both dead but that was because in real life you bleed. To me judging wether you can kill someone in one hit and go for it is very important if you’re wounded yourself. I want to be on the brink of death and keep on fighting thanks to my timing instead of being taken down by a suicidal attacker. Most fights in this game are not duels but rather being outnumbered and trying to deal with it either by maneuvering or killing them faster than they keep coming.

• @AngryDave:

What if it did 5 damage or something? It’s surely still going to be at least as “lethal” as a kick?

If the fight was close, that would still end up as a very unexpected (and annoying) death.

• @Hadron:

Game balance > realism.

How many times can this be posted and be so, SO relevent =) ?

• @Hadron:

@AngryDave:

If the fight was close, that would still end up as a very unexpected (and annoying) death.

The point is to try to prevent the exchanging of hits at the end of a fight, if both players throw a swing and one hits the other just a fraction of a second before it should end up in a draw, as the hit should be continued, instead it just cancels, i agree that if you get hit a while before your hit would land then your hit would do no damage, but if the hits are very close together then both hits should count.

• @Hadron:

Game balance > realism.

Realism implies that it won’t do much if any damage.

And it would be too complicated to program into the game anyway.

• @Arthur:

I think its a reasonable idea to allow a strike to finish after a player has been killed, allowing draws in duels, it has been countless times that me and an opponent exchange strikes but his lands a second before, rendering my final hit (which would have been the killing stirke) useless. The hit should be able to finish so that both players end up dead.

If you lose your head or the arm holding your weapon, that swing of yours isn’t going to go very far but to the ground.

If you lose a leg, that swing isn’t going to go in the same direction it would have.

I see no need for this feature… it would just annoy more people than it would please because you’d have the guy who killed you wide open for that hit with no ability to block or parry, thus end up with a lot of people Kamikaze’ing through battles, knowing that they’ll still land a hit even if they die.

Players playing defensively and thinking before they attack would go out the window in most cases.

• @tlbww:

@Hadron:

Game balance > realism.

but it increases his post count…

• The problem with striking after death is at one extreme I could jump into a group of 5 enemies, do a huge swing and even if I die I will strike them all !

So yeah thats good, so you have to cut it off somewhere, and making it insta-death is fine by me. Also means you get fewer assists, people who do ‘win’ last longer, so its all good.

• What about continued strikes upon hit ?

Countless times I was hit during an attack, and less than 5 centimeters from the guy’s throat, my sword/halberd/axe was instantly stopped midair, when it should have at least made 30% of normal damage.

• @gregcau:

@tlbww:

@Hadron:

Game balance > realism.

but it increases his post count…

Seriously, greg, piss off. You’re being a dick.