[KNIGHT] Pole Axe vs Bearded Axe? How to Beat Fast Attacks?

• Hi guys. Pretty new player here, only at Rank 7 in game, but I love it. It seems most of the stuff in this section are helpful guides tutorials, but I have a tactics question to ask and I think it should go here, though if I’m wrong, sorry about that.

So basically, I like playing as Knight the most. Probably the most newb friendly class initially, but I’m actually getting pretty good at it. I quite like the longsword and unlocked all 2h swords, but yesterday I got the Pole Axe and it’s freaking awesome. So now I have access to the bearded axe as well and I’m not sure if it’s even any good. Stats wise, it has less reach, less speed, and almost the same damage (similar swing, better overhead and better stab plus it does swingblunt, blunt, and pierce with those attacks, respectively, so it’s very versatile).

So why is the bearded axe the 3rd unlock? It seems to me that it’s nowhere near as good as the pole axe.

Now onto a tactics question!

My tipical loadout is pole axe, broadsword, and tower shield. I’ll use the pole axe 80% of the time, but for example with archers around I find it useful to charge them with the shield out and they usually go down pretty easy. I also take out the sword and board for specific tanking opportunities in TO games. Regardless, I sometimes have issues against fast attackers, here’s why:

No matter whether I block, successfully feint, or kick them, my swing is so much slower that they have time to either attack me before mine hits or get a block/parry up again. How do you deal with this? Is it a stamina game? Should I just play defensive until they tire out?

I’ve also tried the old miss first hit, move in for combo backswing, but again, the knight telegraphs the swing so much that these faster classes usually see it coming. So, against these faster and skilled players I’ve tried taking out the sword and board as well. It seems to be just slightly better as they don’t have quite as much chance to recover with the quicker weapon, but they still can quite often.

Basically, against mediocre players I usually can win a duel but against people of equal (or greater) skill to me, I feel like I have very little chance against their speed.

• OK, here are some answers to your questions.

1. Pole axe is currently much better. Bearded axe will be getting a buff next patch.

2. It’s true that MaAs and Archers have much faster weapons, which is why you need to be careful and play looking for an opportunity. Sometimes, you may have to intentionally miss to invite them into range of your weapon for a smiting blow. I know you said you’ve done this, but don’t rely only on slash. The other attacks can be put into a combo. If there’s a faster class who’s clearly more skilled than you, unless you have teammates, it is best to avoid them unless you NEED to push the objective. Going a faster class and getting used to that can also help loads. Playing specifically knight for a long time will slow your reaction time significantly when playing as a lighter class, as well as make you forget: the other classes are much more difficult to survive as than knight.

• I am new to this game as well, seems we are on the same learning curve, as I have unlocked all the 2h swords and am now working on the 2h axes, for the knight.

Here are some of the things I have learned;

1. Don’t let the archer or man-at-arms get to close, with their faster weapon you can’t win, but if you learn to back up and drag your swing through after they attack, you can usually land the first blow and they can’t avoid the follow up. Combos are your friend when using the poleaxe.

2. Sneak up on those archers and give them a good overhead swing, with a combo LMB dragged around in a circle. You will usually hit unless they jump over it, because your basically hitting them from behind, so they can’t block it.

3. learn to back up! I can’t stress this enough, I get so focused on holding down the W key and moving the mouse around wildly that I end up giving people a free shot at the back of my head. I say back up and keep the enemy in front of you and block/parry.

4. You are not superman so don’t think you can take on everybody by yourself, stay with the group, or back away if too many for you alone.

I don’t claim to be very good at this game, if I am lucky I have a few more kills than deaths by the end of a match, but the things I have mention work.

• For those pesky fast attackers(and I’m new, so take this with a grain of salt) I generally try to match their weapon speed as best as I can. For example, I wouldn’t try killing them with a super-slow weapon, because they’ll just block it and stab you before you can even recover. So if they’re using a dagger, pull out your broadsword. Also, once you’re in close, I think shields are pretty useless. If it weren’t for archers, I probably wouldn’t use a shield at all. You can “block” with it but it’s not the same as parry (at least from what I’ve seen), and parry lets you combo into an attack, while blocking doesn’t. Also, if I’m not mistaken, shields lower your weapon speed a little bit, which can be fatal. Lastly, if you can. get a kick into them. It lowers their health, knocks them back (they usually have a dagger of some kind), and lets you follow up into a nice forward stab that I’ve found usually connects. It’s usually enough to get them down to 1 hit, or kill them if they’re already injured.

So yeah, use your fastest weapon, unequip the shield (press 3), and kick/stab combo them away. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on that, though.

• @Ryuzaki:

For those pesky fast attackers(and I’m new, so take this with a grain of salt) I generally try to match their weapon speed as best as I can. For example, I wouldn’t try killing them with a super-slow weapon, because they’ll just block it and stab you before you can even recover. So if they’re using a dagger, pull out your broadsword. Also, once you’re in close, I think shields are pretty useless. If it weren’t for archers, I probably wouldn’t use a shield at all. You can “block” with it but it’s not the same as parry (at least from what I’ve seen), and parry lets you combo into an attack, while blocking doesn’t. Also, if I’m not mistaken, shields lower your weapon speed a little bit, which can be fatal. Lastly, if you can. get a kick into them. It lowers their health, knocks them back (they usually have a dagger of some kind), and lets you follow up into a nice forward stab that I’ve found usually connects. It’s usually enough to get them down to 1 hit, or kill them if they’re already injured.

So yeah, use your fastest weapon, unequip the shield (press 3), and kick/stab combo them away. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on that, though.

First of all, shields can be a lifesaver against those with greater reach.

Secondly, kicking actually alerts an enemy that an attack will come, as it creates an opening, but only for as long as the kick is on cooldown itself.

• I had a little more luck yesterday. I’m trying to unlock the Vet helmet so that meant trying out hammers. When I got the maul it was pretty devastating. I basically just pummeled a couple MaA’s until they were out of stam and then squished their heads. There was a couple that were good at dodging, so I had kite shield and broadsword which worked fairly well, although I think a really good MaA is still at a distinct advantage. Fortunately I play mostly TO games so it’s rarely a fair 1v1 anyway.

• Success against good players while you’re playing Knight means a few things.
    Know your timing - You need to start your strikes at the right time to land them properly, as Knight is pretty slow. You also need to know how quick the enemy is, which leads me to my next point:
    Know your enemy - Knights who have good combat awareness and know the mind of the enemy will almost always live to devour the souls of his enemies. Know when someone’s trying to fake you out, learn how to control the fight, and take advantage of good…
    FOOTWORK! - Learning how to move during a fight is essential to being a good knight. If you’re playing aggressively, charge into your enemy with a hit. They’ll either block, or you’ll trade hits. Trading hits with weaker classes is good because as a Knight you can’t lose a hit trade. Here is where footwork depends on your weapon. You have to adapt your movement to the speed and range of your sword/poleaxe/maul and play accordingly. For sword gameplay, try hitting the enemy, back up a little as you start to combo into another attack, side-strafing is a good tactic, then charge forward and a little sideways and attack again. Always stay moving and learn the
    Mouse-Dragging System - As a Knight, you need to learn the mouse-dragging mechanics in this game to be any good at all. High-level fighting in this game isn’t looking right at your opponent, swinging, blocking, swinging, blocking. Among footwork, jump attacks, kicks, feints and many other tactics is the ability to control your attack. I’d suggest going in-game with your favorite weapon, opening the console with the command key (~) and typing aoc_drawtracers 1
    This will show you the tracers your weapon draws when it swings. These red and blue lines are where your weapon will hit. Try out different mouse-movements during your swings and see how you can guide the attacks around your opponent’s block, delay or accelerate the hits by moving with or against the swing, and generally how to master a weapon.

You can’t really explain how to be good at this game, its more of an experience/skill thing. I think you’ll get there eventually, Poleaxe/Broadsword/Towershield is a pretty decent setup for your level. You’ll take a lot of stamina drain from that shield since the patch though. Hope this helped.

• @Hadron:

1. Pole axe is currently much better. Bearded axe will be getting a buff next patch.

Is this what most of the community thinks?

I alway thought a big drawback of the poleaxe was that you would miss more easily than with the barded, while the barded axe has the big advantage of faster windup making it difficult to interrupt and insanly good for lookdown overheads and swings starting inside your opponent.

On top of that the recoveries of the poleaxe are huge (1 full sec for a missed stab!), again here the barded axe has its advantages.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying poleaxe is bad, just that there are quite some advantages barded has over pole…

I always saw the pole one as an expert tool, cause you had to be more exact and not miss, while the barded was the barbarians favourite, since the short windup times make it great for hittrading.

• I tried the bearded axe.

Sure the overhead is fast.

But the LMB is slow.

Not really OP.

• @gregcau:

I tried the bearded axe.

Sure the overhead is fast.

But the LMB is slow.

Not really OP.

never lmb ever with this weapon… overhands always. If you use it really gay-ly, it’s certainly COULD be considered a bit OP… but i don’t think it is, even as fucked up as it’s combo feints are. In the right hands, it can be pretty unstoppable.
    [youtubehd:358xgm6l]pDUNpYIcuLA[/youtubehd:358xgm6l]

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.