I Will NOT Pay $59.99 USD for a Video Game!

• It’s my facebook protest group, just created, to protest fast-rising game prices. It can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 … 288&v=wall

If we get a significant number of people to join, it will put pressure on the game publishing industry not to charge exorbitant prices.

• While I agree that video games are priced way too high…keep in mind…the developers that charge that much spend more than that PER DAY to make the game, and the publishers spend the same amount. So, in order to make more and better games, they have to sell either a TON of lower-priced or under-priced games, or they have to sell a lot of mid-priced games (And $60 is mid-priced…some games cost $100…usually collectors editions or games with special controllers).

Compare it to movies. Direct-to-DVD releases tend to be crappy, because they can afford to me. They didn’t spend much when they made it, so they don’t need to make a lot of money. They can accept $20, or even $10, per DVD. That’s like an indie game developer. They didn’t spend a lot of money on anything, so they can afford to sell their games at anywhere from $5 to $30, depending on how good the game is, and how much marketing they did. Hollywood movies, on the other hand, get released to theaters for mass audiences to watch (drawing in anywhere from $4 to $20 a ticket) just the movie, allowing mass audiences to pay-per-view (Some people spending over $100 for a single movie). This allows them to get a profit faster. Then, after a while, they release it on DVD for $20-$30, or, for some of the collecter’s sets, up to $50. This is usually a one-time-only purchase, so they gain their money back slowly. Hollywood movies would be like the big games. With the $60 price tag being the theater cost. Since a game is a one-time-only purchase, instead of a pay-per-play purchase, they can’t charge for less.

So, if you want good games, you have to either wait for it to drop in price, or just dish out the full price. Game companies can’t afford to make their games cheaper (Though PC games should be released at $50 max, like they always have been, rather than $60, like MW2), otherwise they lose their budget, developers lose their jobs, and game quality goes down.

I don’t want crappy games. I’ll pay for them when they get cheaper.

• Me neither. Good luck with your protest!

• Dont buy them then lol

• wat is inflation

• I will NOT pay $7.99 for skins.
    #boycottstevepiggot

• Games have pretty much been this price since the beggining of time. I got steam 5 years ago most big games were going for $59.99 for standard editions of things. In my own currency $59.99 translates into $99.99 and games have been $99.99 since I started gaming.

What planet are you from?

• I think someone needs to be educated in market economics :)

And seriously, games are a luxury not a right. Stop being so self-entitled. If you don’t wan’t to buy something at that price, then don’t. But don’t make a spectacle out of it. You’ll survive without your games, have fun doing something else.

• @Circle:

It’s my facebook protest group, just created, to protest fast-rising game prices. It can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 … 288&v=wall

If we get a significant number of people to join, it will put pressure on the game publishing industry not to charge exorbitant prices.

Do you know the UK was to have a major review of games/consoles prices years ago as we get charged more then most.
    nothing was done. Today we have consoles and games just as expensive in some cases more ie near £400 for a console
    or a stupid phone which is dearer then a decent desktop pc. Your white elephant is not going to make any difference at all tbh
    circle of doom

• @Oy:

I will NOT pay $7.99 for skins.
    #boycottstevepiggot

ALL ABOARD THE BOYCOTT TRAIN…

• And seriously, games are a luxury not a right.

Here in 'Murica we have a right to video games. It says so in the Declaration of Independence. Written by Sir Abraham Lincoln himself.

• @Flippy:

Here in 'Murica we have a right to video games. It says so in the Declaration of Independence. Written by Sir Abraham Lincoln himself.

Co-signed by the good king George himself!

• It’s not that much, considering the return. I spend more than that at the pub on Friday night, and I all get at the end of it is a hangover. I get weeks if not months of enjoyment out of most games I buy.

• @Harry:

I spend more than that at the pub on Friday night, and I all get at the end of it is a hangover.

Has anyone ever asked if you have a drinking problem?

• if you dont like games costing so much stop fucking buying them

• A suggestion would be not buying them, or you could just wait for specials on steam if it is important.

• @Riuuii:

A suggestion would be not buying them, or you could just wait for specials on steam if it is important.

Summer steam sale is coming up here soon, that and humble bundle man got 4 copies of chiv once from there for $1 each…

• @Terminally:

Has anyone ever asked if you have a drinking problem?

Pfft, Americans.

You should hear what I spend on crack.

• @Harry:

Pfft, Americans.

You should hear what I spend on crack.

Probably nothing.

Its all sexual favors.

• @zombojoe:

Probably nothing.

Its all sexual favors.

Nah they didn’t like that, kept getting tangled up in my beard.