The main reasons I hardly play…

• Lemme start off by saying I like this game a lot. It’s unique and it’s about an era in time I love, however there are still a few reasons I can’t stand playing or won’t bother coming back for a little after a few mishaps listed below.

1.) Server issues - It seems the more I hit refresh, the less good it does. More often than not, when refreshing - less servers show up or NO servers show up from then on until I restart the game. Not worth me starting the game back up sometimes.

2.) Server issues 2.0 - Even when refreshing works, it hardly seems to update the servers. Not to mention that when I do see servers that aren’t even half full and I join only to see that it was actually at capacity, it really becomes aggravating. Not worth the effort to sometimes.

3.) Depth perception in-game - Maybe this is just me but I constantly attack players using shorter weapons who manage to hit me from a distance where my long weapon just missed from, hands down a major reason I quit due to frustration. Try stabbing dead bodies from varying lengths and you’ll see you’re weapon going through or into them without harm. It really takes away from the game.

4.) Damage and animations are not synced well IMO - meaning the point of damage application and where the animation actually “hits” the player is not lined up well. It would appear that stabbing has the effect the most from my experience. This could just be on laggy servers? I’m not sure but I try to stick to the servers with the best ping so I’m thinking it’s just certain weapons that are slightly off. (this may be related to the above issue.

5.) How does a knight die so easily to the new MAA staff? :P It’s ridiculous! This one I care less about but it’s still a lil wtf to me lol.

I’m not trying to dis the game, just giving my perspective - if you don’t like it, I don’t care, it’s not for you to like, it’s for improving the game. If nothing comes out of this then so be it :D

• #5 implies you’ve tried the beta, are you still encountering the other issues (besides depth perception, get 3d or use 3rd person for that maybe?) in Beta CU1 RC2?

• I’ve been playing long enough where I should’ve gotten “used to” the depth perception by now, I guess I gotta play like my 2 handers hit 1 foot less than what they appear and my 1 handers hit 1 foot further than they appear. Lol.

But yes the other issues I have definitely 100% experienced in the beta, it was why I came on to post in the first place. I’ve since switched back to normal Chiv.

One thing about the beta was it was showing “old” maps that I couldn’t get into because the “host had content I did not.” However this also occurred on the “new” maps too :/

Since switching back, I’ve experienced no issues with that.

• Hmm, was this in the very latest beta? (As in Release Candidate 2), as if some of these things are still happening, they’ll want to know as release is imminent otherwise.

Would you be able to switch back and re-test with the new version please? I think I saw a post somewhere in the Beta Feedback section about renaming your folders so you don’t haveto re-download the entire standard build again when you want to switch back to release.

• Switching to beta now. I will inform you of what’s up shortly.

• Yeah I can’t join any game now in beta. It tells me I don’t have the downloadable content that the host does.

• Someone else had that issue, I think he fixed it by restarting Steam.

The thread about easily switching between builds is here btw: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=9379

• Now that you mention it, the depth perception does seem to be off a bit. For 2 handers, I get in pretty close to ensure the hit. For 1 handers, I’m practically eye-to-eye with them.

As for server issues, a trick that works for me sometimes is changing the game speed option on the filter (anything other than 100%), then switching it back to 100% and refreshing. It beats exiting the game, at least. This is definitely an issue that needs to be fixed, because not only is it annoying, it also makes the game itself look sketchy and unprofessional.

• 3.) Depth perception in-game - Maybe this is just me but I constantly attack players using shorter weapons who manage to hit me from a distance where my long weapon just missed from, hands down a major reason I quit due to frustration.

There is a small window of time when attacking while moving forward can expose you for the enemy. If your hit is being landed stop moving forward and start going backward. Shorter weapons shouldn’t be able to reach you in time if you do it right. I agree that sometimes the weapon hits further than you can see it from the FPP though, and this can be annyoing but I often find this is the case with… longer weapons.

• @Holy.Death:

3.) Depth perception in-game - Maybe this is just me but I constantly attack players using shorter weapons who manage to hit me from a distance where my long weapon just missed from, hands down a major reason I quit due to frustration.

There is a small window of time when attacking while moving forward can expose you for the enemy. If your hit is being landed stop moving forward and start going backward. Shorter weapons shouldn’t be able to reach you in time if you do it right. I agree that sometimes the weapon hits further than you can see it from the FPP though, and this can be annyoing but I often find this is the case with… longer weapons.

I think they all do it. There are so many questionable things in this game though. It’s getting better at least!

Another one is watching someone swing a 2 hander in a cramped environment yet it wont work for me hardly lol. I’ll hit the wall behind me which cancels my swing immediately or the walls to the side even though there appears to be room.

• @Ryuzaki:

As for server issues, a trick that works for me sometimes is changing the game speed option on the filter (anything other than 100%), then switching it back to 100% and refreshing. It beats exiting the game, at least. This is definitely an issue that needs to be fixed, because not only is it annoying, it also makes the game itself look sketchy and unprofessional.

Fixed in the imminent patch. :)

• Another one is watching someone swing a 2 hander in a cramped environment yet it wont work for me hardly lol. I’ll hit the wall behind me which cancels my swing immediately or the walls to the side even though there appears to be room.

This one is most likely connected to the size of your weapon. Some two handed weapons - especially swords, especially vanguard’s swords - are really big and they swing in a wide arc (270 degrees? 300?), starting somewhere from behind what you can actually see, thus you can hit the wall you don’t see as you see only 180 degrees. Smaller two handers have an edge in such environment as they are less likely to hit a wall or a teammate. It also depends a lot on your positioning and the type of attack as well.

• I agree with OP, but i still play anways 8-)

• @Carverk:

Lemme start off by saying I like this game a lot. It’s unique and it’s about an era in time I love, however there are still a few reasons I can’t stand playing or won’t bother coming back for a little after a few mishaps listed below.

1.) Server issues - It seems the more I hit refresh, the less good it does. More often than not, when refreshing - less servers show up or NO servers show up from then on until I restart the game. Not worth me starting the game back up sometimes.

2.) Server issues 2.0 - Even when refreshing works, it hardly seems to update the servers. Not to mention that when I do see servers that aren’t even half full and I join only to see that it was actually at capacity, it really becomes aggravating. Not worth the effort to sometimes.

3.) Depth perception in-game - Maybe this is just me but I constantly attack players using shorter weapons who manage to hit me from a distance where my long weapon just missed from, hands down a major reason I quit due to frustration. Try stabbing dead bodies from varying lengths and you’ll see you’re weapon going through or into them without harm. It really takes away from the game.

4.) Damage and animations are not synced well IMO - meaning the point of damage application and where the animation actually “hits” the player is not lined up well. It would appear that stabbing has the effect the most from my experience. This could just be on laggy servers? I’m not sure but I try to stick to the servers with the best ping so I’m thinking it’s just certain weapons that are slightly off. (this may be related to the above issue.

5.) How does a knight die so easily to the new MAA staff? :P It’s ridiculous! This one I care less about but it’s still a lil wtf to me lol.

I’m not trying to dis the game, just giving my perspective - if you don’t like it, I don’t care, it’s not for you to like, it’s for improving the game. If nothing comes out of this then so be it :D

1/2: Server issues are resolved by knowing their nuances. I have no trouble because I’ve played enough to find out.
    3: It is just you. There are three modifyers to mis-judging distance.
    a) There is a little lunge to attack animations, making distance a little more, especially if one of the players didn’t lunge by crouching, or standing still/moving in a certain way
    b) Field of view being turned up, in which objects in the review mirror may appear closer than they are, if you know what I mean. It distorts objects a bit to fit more screen in.
    c) Latency
    4: That’s the way things are at the moment. Handles can hit you, and the side of a thrust sword/Javelin will hit you. Not a big deal at all.

Not valid reasons to stop playing a game for, unless you’re waiting for virtual reality or something (that’s just like, my opinion, man).

• #3 - lmfaourdoinitwrong :P

• @Carverk:

Another one is watching someone swing a 2 hander in a cramped environment yet it wont work for me hardly lol. I’ll hit the wall behind me which cancels my swing immediately or the walls to the side even though there appears to be room.

si tacuisses philosophus mansisses. :P