….......

• ……

• You think the game can be laggy now - wait until the server has to run all the calculations on every player’s weapon to see if it’s in range of another player.

Ouch. It’s much easier just learning to play.

• ……

• Yes, it can be that big of a deal when 32 players are running around each other in and out of proximity. Turning the crosshair red when you hit someone? You mean when you shoot an arrow and it lands? How often is this occurring? It’s not even near the scale that a visual indicator would need to flash based on a range flag. On paper, I’m sure this sounds like a great idea - but once you gain some knowledge with programming and memory allocation, it gets quite more difficult. Range detection is a constant process that needs to be running, whereas hit detection is based upon events (you firing/swinging). Imagine if every player was swinging every tenth of a second… maybe even MORE frequently if you wanted even smoother range detection. What a nightmare.

–If you want to be insulted by “learning to play”, then be insulted. I didn’t tell YOU to “learn to play”, but simply that learning to play this game takes care of managing distances on your own. Over the time I’ve spent with it, I have a very well-rounded idea of how long each and every weapon is. I’d say within a footstep of my character or so. Nothing here messes with your lifelong depth perception, so I have no idea what’s wrong with your brain on this one.

Player feedback is fine and welcomed, but the stress this change would bring to servers mixed with the simplicity it takes to get acquainted with the weapons you use makes this an unnecessary game alteration. Hopefully, stretching all this out of my two prior sentences has made it easier for you to understand.

• Could be cool as a console based testing feature, but part of the game is intuitively learning the range of your weapon.

• No, no, no, no, no, NO.

An important part of the game is judging YOURSELF whether you’re in range of your opponent. You would seriously mess with the combat if you implemented such a change.

• @Bloodhead:

No, no, no, no, no, NO.

An important part of the game is judging YOURSELF whether you’re in range of your opponent. You would seriously mess with the combat if you implemented such a change.

This. Chivalry is about learning to know your weapon, it’s strenghts and it’s flaws. Learning the range on bows is just as important as knowing how far your sword reaches.