Your Opinion On New Weapons

• Title says it all people. Just state your opinion on the new weapons added such as the flails,
    pole-hammer, quarterstaff and sling. Preferably backed with reasonable argumentation a not “So so so is gay because it is and it’s bugged, I’M UNINSTALLING THIS SHIT!”.

I personally think the flails are a great addition to the knight, they are unmatched at going around defenses if you can handle the short reach. I just think we should be given the option to take throwing axes instead of the buckler. Although I can’t even begging to imagine how you would parry with a flail. (Then again, daggers do parry maul’s.)

• After one hour of playing:

1. Flails suck. Too slow for the short range. Anyone not completely newb will block them every time.
    2. Pole hammer is exactly like the Halberd.
    3. Sling has potential, need to play more.
    4. QS - not sure, never played, seemed ok going against.

• Voting Flail since I’ve been waiting for it for yonks (my fave weapon in AoC), haven’t had chance to try it yet though hehe, maybe later. :D

Seems you can only have buckler though? I’d hoped it would be an authentic heater shield experience. :(

• Tried flail and it sucks miserably.
    So easy to block and dmg isnt that great either

• The quarterstaff is silly. 3 hits to kill other MaA? Extra 1-2 hits against heavier classes? It feels like a rubber Morning star. I want my vet helmet back. :(

• The polehammer is nice. Feels ready.

Flail, both of them, are fun to play with and fun to play against. They’re good to use in a tight spot.

Sling is okay. I’m only curious how much damage difference there are on lead balls and on pebble. Because I haven’t noticed a difference…

The quarterstaff. Well… I’ve played MAA the most in my time, and I’m not sure this is what they needed. It’s an ok addition to their armory. Just feels… like it deals too little damage at times. If I play MAA I don’t want to be too close to my enemy for that long. I understand it requires more practice to play with, though. We’ll see!

Edit: I retract my statement about the quarterstaff. It’s a handsome and fun tool. Also more situational. But it’s ready. :D

• 1) The Flail
    I find the flail lackluster, to be honest. I expected it to have higher damage and longer range, alas. It’s range is pathetic really, comperable to the war hammer. It’s damage is appalling, especially when combined with the low reach it has. The quickness of the combo is sadly not the proper solution to the low damage and reach. Concidering you can not even 2hit an archer with it, it dissapointed me greatly.

**2) The Polehammer
    Of all weapons I’ve tried I’ve enjoyed the polehammer the most. It’s reach is rather low for a vanguard weapon(or so it feels like it when I wield it) but is has an enjoyable damage and swing speed. All 3 attacks have decent damage and speed so overall it makes up for it’s lower reach.

**3) The Quaterstaff
    I have mixed feelings about this weapon. On one hand, it has very low damage. But on the other, it has very short windup and quick combospeed. I think this is a weapon people will just need to get used to wielding to be fully effective. Has potential in my opinion. Sadly I’m already married to my dane ax

4) The Sling
    A fun little weapon. The fact it has unlimited ammuniton when taking pebbles is fun and prevents running back and forth between frontline and ammunition box. The fact that the weapon’s damage is also dependant on how long the weapon has been swinging is also neato, if a bit unrealistic compared to real slings. Although gameplay wise I think it’s better to give it a windup. Overal content with this weapon.

• @SharpshotSid:

1) The Flail
    I find the flail lackluster, to be honest. I expected it to have higher damage and longer range, alas. It’s range is pathetic really, comperable to the war hammer. It’s damage is appalling, especially when combined with the low reach it has. The quickness of the combo is sadly not the proper solution to the low damage and reach. Concidering you can not even 2hit an archer with it, it dissapointed me greatly

1. They have the reach of a flail. The warhammer itself is a long one-hander. These are not two-handed flails.

2. The damage is great against vanguards / knights. (and MAA, of course ;)) Are you sure it doesn’t allow you to two-hit an archer? It’s a blunt weapon and they don’t deal superior damage to cloth and leather. But since it’s blunt, it’s devasting in close combat quarters with especially knights, with its way of getting around other shields.

• What do you think to be the best weapon of the patch and why?

• The Quaterstaff by far simply because it is very fun.

• The polehammer feels incredibly half-baked. It doesn’t hit as much as you’d think, its slow as all heck, and doesn’t reach very far. I’d rather fight with a shortsword than that honestly.

• Flail
    Too slow for the “fastest” knight weapon, dmg is the same as the mace, range too short.
    Big con is the buckler.

Pole-hammer
    Just played it for a few duels, didn’t feel special between the other polearms

Staff
    I guess I like the QS, just need to get used to the short range for a 2h staff. Pro is that it is really fast.

Sling
    I don’t know, it is 4 bodyhits to kill a VG. I prefer the Shortbow for ammoadvantage.

• @Herkulades:

1. They have the reach of a flail. The warhammer itself is a long one-hander. These are not two-handed flails.

2. The damage is great against vanguards / knights. (and MAA, of course ;)) Are you sure it doesn’t allow you to two-hit an archer? It’s a blunt weapon and they don’t deal superior damage to cloth and leather. But since it’s blunt, it’s devasting in close combat quarters with especially knights, with its way of getting around other shields.

I wouldn’t say the warhammer is a long one-hander, especially compared to other one handed weapons it comes up short(pun fully intended). And even if they are historically accurate in reach, I still expected them to be someone more. It feels like I’m wielding a broad dagger to be honest.

And as for the damage, the only time you can 2hit an archer is with 2 overheads(Not counting head strikes). On the advantage of getting around shields, I’ve yet to actually see it be more effective against shields as opposed to actually trying to get around shields using footwork(and newly implented alt swinging)

• THE POLEHAMMER IS OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!

Seriously though I’ve had mixed experiences with it in the few rounds I played today, however I can safely say that I very much like the feel of the weapon.

• Flail: Really like the heavy flail. It’s a great weapon for wrapping around defenses. I don’t like the light flail very much, it doesn’t feel like the damage for speed tradeoff works out in its favor.

Polehammer: Doesn’t feel much different than the halberd to me, but it has a cool alt overhead attack.

Quarterstaff: This thing is seriously dangerous, and my favorite of the new weapons. The attack and combo speed is so fast that you can rain a flurry of blows onto people before they can strike back. I think this is going to be the weapon of choice for experienced MAA players.

Sling: I absolutely hate this thing. Really, I’m not sure what the use case is for it. It feels like slower throwing daggers that are a lot harder to aim. I haven’t used the pebbles, so maybe that is where the weapon shines, but the metal balls are pretty terrible. Very hard to hit people with.

• @SharpshotSid:

We already have a thread like this

Now Merged. :)

Please don’t post dupe topics that are on the exact same bloody page people!

• @BobT36:

@SharpshotSid:

We already have a thread like this

Now Merged. :)

Please don’t post dupe topics that are on the exact same bloody page people!

How!?! …. Damn Sorcerer!

Keep your dark magic away from me!

• Quarterstaff: Feels very weak for a two-hander. Needs 1/2 more HTK than a Mace does, and its range is pretty low. On top of that, you can’t use a shield with it, making it less versatile than the one-handers. It doesn’t even appear to be faster than the Mace, which is the one area I expected it to be stronger. Perhaps there’s some strategy or tactic that makes it very good, but I’m not seeing it so far.

Flails: Seem gimmicky. Don’t have a lot of experience with them but it seems that they have weak stats in return for a tricky hit-box.

Sling: Quite fun, unsure effectiveness. The damage is low for a projectile, but in return it is a very fast and fun weapon to use. And I have managed to top an FFA game with it, which doesn’t really prove that much, but it suggests that it has at least some killing power. It’s the only ranged weapon in the game that’s capable of getting full accuracy while in a sprint, and one of only 4 ranged weapons in the Archer’s arsenal capable of being fired at all in a sprint. That property alone gives it some value as a short-range, harassment weapon, and its overall speed makes it good for stumbling enemies for your allies to kill. I guess the advantage it has over the javs, the other sprint ranged weapons, is in projectile speed and ammunition count. The damage ramp-up is interesting, though I’d prefer to not have it as I feel it doesn’t suit the weapon’s fast playstyle. Also,it has perfect accuracy in every situation, which is pretty neat.

Polehammer: Seems to be decently strong, capable of two-shotting every class except the Knight (who requires two head shots for a 2HKO), and has an overall solid feel. I’m not that familiar with 2-handers so I can’t really comment on how it measures up to them. Might serve a generalist role that’s okay at killing all classes, and has versatile attacks, but isn’t necessarily the best option for taking on any one particular class.

• I’m waiting for work to finish to I can go home and bust out the Quarter-Staff.

I’ve been running around the last few weeks as, ‘The Heavenly Monk’ and laying the smack down with my fists as MAA. The main issue I had with it was the lack of blocking.

Now my name will be, ‘Great Sage, Equal of Heaven’ and I’ll stomp the world with my Magic Wishing Staff.