Please game devs click here Archery question

• well i’ve been following your devs about this game,(which btw i think it’ll be epic), and your awesome work even without many publishers (the only one i saw was paradox), and you guys sure as hell have talent.

So i saw a lot of things about the mellee combat, about how awesomely complex and simple it is at the same time, but now i wanna know more about the archery, how complex is it? i mean, if i have a shortbow will i do the same damage if i shoot for a long distance or will it have penalitys, and the focused mode, if i have a warbow will it zooms the same distance as the shortbow? and the bodkin and the other arrow tipe (forgot the name), how much damage difference will it make? and about how many shots will i be able to kill an armored knight with a warbow and bodkin arrow?

please answer my questions, im really a bow and arrow man although i will surely spend most of my time as man at arms and knights class

• Yah I would like to know about this to! I love using bows and arrows to shoot down people Its awesome getting those prime long distance kills :D!

• Just check the “armory”, mate. It’s here:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/?page_id=1081

Every detail should be clear. I know nothing about zoom, i just hope there will be no zoom at all in anything and shooting bow would be more complex and harder.

• @yush:

Just check the “armory”, mate. It’s here:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/?page_id=1081

Every detail should be clear. I know nothing about zoom, i just hope there will be no zoom at all in anything and shooting bow would be more complex and harder.

i hoped that they wouldn’t add a zoom but they did and said “archery is going to be easier than in AoC” so my hope is that it just don’t get too much easier, and about the arsenal, i looked there but there was no explanation about the arrows, i mean they told witch arrows are and how to use it but there was no damage bar if i used those arrow tipes wrong or right, thx for your reply though

• Yes, indeed, no arrow damage showed there. Yes, i saw that zoom option, and i noticed archery is much easier - thats where my hope lies, that they noticed its too arcade compared to melee and would do something about it…or i just resign of buying the game, cause i just hate one thing in melee oriented games - too easy archery. Comparing it to PvK - one good archer can win entire game without having much problem, cause he’s fast and arrows goes exactly where you pointing. So…its ridiculous. And i don’t like things to be ridiculous :)

Cheers.

• The thing is, it’s a lot easier to kill archers, so archers had to be made stronger. The counterplay to archers in AoC was a real pace breaker, having to either serpentine in full sprint or walk at a severely slowed pace behind your shield, and either of these options severely drained your stamina which left you easy pickings if someone engaged you in melee, and depending on how far the archer was you might just be easy pickings for him too by the time you get there, even if you avoid every arrow. In Chivalry you won’t require stamina to sprint (but also won’t be able to do as much immersion breaking turn-on-a-dime stuff), and holding up your shield will not slow you down as much or drain as much stamina.

Archers are thus much more approachable and require their team to back them up more, but at the same time they’ve been toned up in how much impact they can have on fights. You don’t have to be as fearful of shooting into melee because it’s much more predictable where your shots will land, and you can do much more damage to unwary enemies, which really solidifies archers as strong, but counterable, support - rather than rarely useful but very annoying as they were in AoC.

• @SlyGoat:

The thing is, it’s a lot easier to kill archers, so archers had to be made stronger. The counterplay to archers in AoC was a real pace breaker, having to either serpentine in full sprint or walk at a severely slowed pace behind your shield, and either of these options severely drained your stamina which left you easy pickings if someone engaged you in melee, and depending on how far the archer was you might just be easy pickings for him too by the time you get there, even if you avoid every arrow. In Chivalry you won’t require stamina to sprint (but also won’t be able to do as much immersion breaking turn-on-a-dime stuff), and holding up your shield will not slow you down as much or drain as much stamina.

Archers are thus much more approachable and require their team to back them up more, but at the same time they’ve been toned up in how much impact they can have on fights. You don’t have to be as fearful of shooting into melee because it’s much more predictable where your shots will land, and you can do much more damage to unwary enemies, which really solidifies archers as strong, but counterable, support - rather than rarely useful but very annoying as they were in AoC.

well i understand that, but will a moderately good archer be able to kill 8 men relatively quickly? i mean will almost every player be able to do a monster kill streak with an archer if they are in a nice position like camping 100000000000000 kms away

• No, not at all. You’d have to be a monstrously good archer to even land 8 hits in a row let alone kill 8 people.

• Thanks, Sly. I then just wait and hope it will be nicely balanced :)

• @SlyGoat:

No, not at all. You’d have to be a monstrously good archer to even land 8 hits in a row let alone kill 8 people.

well you know i sometimes do that in AoC, i still play it (on hardcore mode servers), so thanks for answering my question as always you pay attention on the forum (that’s why you’re a moderator now ain’t it :D), hope to meet (slaughter) you on the battlefield

• How will arrows react to knights in plated armour, will there be bonuses to aiming at the joints?

Seems like it’d be a waste to ignore such a mechanic when you’ve done so much work getting hit detection accurate down to the mm.