Quarterstaff: utterly useless

• There really isn’t much to defend for a primary that requires 5 consecutive hits on a Knight, usually 4 on Vanguards, 3 for MAA, and again, usually 3 for archers.

For supposedly being a fast combo weapon, it isn’t at all faster than any of the MAAs other weapons. The Dane Axe feels like it is only half a second slower yet it is infinitely more powerful and can be used with a shield. Hell, you can use knives with the shield and be better off than with the staff.

Oh. And the reach. At first I thought the 0 reach on the stats was a bug, thinking its speed and low damage to be offset with reach, being y’know, a staff…but no. You really have nothing for range. I was kinda shocked.

Horrible damage, speed that isn’t special, with NO reach whatsoever. No shield. Hard to hit animations…

You have added a stick to the game.

• Actually, in the right hands, this weapon is EXTREMELY useful.
    This weapon is VERY defensive, and it’s able to get many unexpected hits in due to it’s size and speed.
    It just came out bruh, just practice with it a little more :P

• @DJOkamical:

Actually, in the right hands, this weapon is EXTREMELY useful.
    This weapon is VERY defensive, and it’s able to get many unexpected hits in due to it’s size and speed.

He has a point though.

The Quarterstaff doesn’t really feel unique. There are weapons like the Hatchet or the Flanged Mace which accomplish the same thing the Quarterstaff does and they do more damage to boot. The only thing the Quarterstaff has going for it is its speed. I feel that weapons should promote different play styles, but this just feels like we’ve been given a two handed dagger if anything.

• @DJOkamical:

And as an MAA, you don’t want to be playing defensively because feints. Fast combos against a player who knows how to block isn’t going to be remotely useful either, so it’s better to have harder individual hits.

I agree with thread topic. If it had more range, it’d be fine.

• This weapon is VERY defensive, and it’s able to get many unexpected hits in due to it’s size and speed.

So if you play defensive to get unexpected hits…why use the staff when there are weapons that can do that and actually be lethal to the enemy?

It’s a 2handed knife. It is utter garbage. No magic staff skill will change the fact that its stats are utterly atrocious. All speed, and absolutely nothing else. Not balanced at all.

• @DJOkamical:

In the right hands a hatchet or dane axe will clear servers. Quarterstaff has no redeeming qualities, really.

• Quarterstaff seems to be in the same boat as the Sling, in that it can be useful at times but is outclassed by other weapons that do its job better for that class.

(For instance I would never swap my HCB or my Warbow out for the Sling, nor would I even trade the Shortbow or Light Crossbow for it, its animation has a sneaky delay on its release and the projectiles don’t do near enough damage to make it a viable sidegrade even.)

• quarterstaff is kinda fun, but it’s also pretty bad

• Quarterstaff is a great weapon for dueling, but not so much in the field. There’s simply no time to hit a knight 5 times in the face when in a heated game.

All in all, a situational weapon. Pull out your secondary (cudgel most likely) when the QS just doesn’t fit the bill.

• Its might be interesting to note that the quarter staff’s overhead is extremely fast though. Probably equal to if not faster than the norse’s stab.

Dodge and overhead make for a very fast strike, even to more perceptive opponents.

• I’m actually really suprised this wasn’t about slings instead… They’re worse…

• @Slaughtervomit:

I’m actually really suprised this wasn’t about slings instead… They’re worse…

Slaughtervomit! It’s terrible! My veteran helmets! They ran away! 8-)

• @Slaughtervomit:

I’m actually really suprised this wasn’t about slings instead… They’re worse…

Slings are bad but still hilarious to use. Quarterstaff is just bad.

• From my limited experience with the quarter staff it seems really difficult for people to parry, and the attack speed is faster than the time it takes for most people to recover and then pass the point of swing wind up, meaning I wind up not needing to do much defensive work with it unless I miss or they otherwise manage to get out of my range. In a larger fight it’s not something I’d want with me (hell, I wouldn’t even want to be MAA in a larger fight) but just attacking on the fringes has been a great success.

• Slings at least have the capability of being primed while sprinting, something that bows and crossbows cannot do. Your overall mobility with the Sling is quite high, which opens up a lot of tactical options. That said, it does require a very high amount of hits to kill anything, so it could perhaps use a buff. I’d rather the damage charge-up time just be removed or reduced, as it doesn’t really feel right on a fast weapon like the sling, nor does it make much sense.

• Posted this already in balance, but I think quarterstaff is weak and can afford to go one of two ways.

• Decrease the combo delay time, allowing the staff to get two swings in quickly if the first hit connects and stuns. This would negate its low damage by giving it a chance to double hit and make it a strong chain attack weapon that uses both ends rapidly. Offensive option.

OR

• Decrease the swing recovery time, allowing the staff to quickly recover from swings or misses. This would allow it to quickly parry, making it better against feints, or allow it to follow up with different attacks sooner to be unpredictable. Defensive option.

I have no problems with the quarterstaff becoming a defensive or situational weapon so long as it does something that others weapons don’t already do. There are better one-handed blunt weapons that are shield compatible.

• A stab with this weapon off of a parry is nearly as fast as a dagger, but with much more reach. It’s underrated. I’m not sure it’s that good, but it’s definitely not bad.

• Personally I don’t find the quarter staff useless.

Its a bit short though. A damage boost could be handy.

Or they could make two other staff weapons. Maybe one with big iron balls on the ends of them. Or another with a spike on each end. They can make their own weapons that are similar to real life ones. Could have made a hole tree.

• The trick to using the quarterstaff is to combo. If you go for single strikes then it is kind of useless. Be aggressive with it and you’ll see the difference.

• @Xeekik:

@DJOkamical:

In the right hands a hatchet or dane axe will clear servers. Quarterstaff has no redeeming qualities, really.

This. In right hands even dagger or cudgel will clear server. We are talking about weapon stats which are plain weak.