Who actually thought of the dueling system?

• Racing to 10 has got to be the dumbest way to implement dueling, sorry to be harsh but thats really the best that was thought of? Right now you could go 10-0 but the guy who spams challenges on the weak with a whopping 10 - 8 will win just because he got there first.

It just makes every duel feel like you are in a race, not a duel. Its like ok i gotta kill this guy 2-0 in less than 1 min just to be a contender for the top everytime.

And the matching system with it is pretty bad, it should force a match between the top 2 atleast twice or atleast people around your win set so it can keep things interesting i think im like 178-16 just from fighting people with 0-4 scores until i get 10 wins. Its fun, everything isnt about winning but it would be alot better if it wasnt a race type system and more of a matchmaking based on score and rank

• I think you care about winning the map a little too much as opposed to winning/enjoying good duels? Alternatively, keep challenging the top guy if you’re worried about him farming bads. If he is… oh well, not like that match win counts for anything then.

• Like i said, winning isnt everything as i know i came off as just that attitude. But the problem is dueling was implemented because obviously people wanted a more skilled gametype, just like it is in every game (1v1s home of the hardcore) But it just isnt rewarding skill, it just rewards speed just like every game type in this game. In LTS i always tell my team pick a side and rush it. Literally everytime we do, we dominate, not just win but dominate with no deaths. TDM, just rush to get kills before the other team so you dont get steamrolled by them at the end. TO just rush the objective, every game mode is a rushfest.

Its fun, i like the patch, things definitely seem clunkier but ive enjoyed it. Its just that there are so many other ways they could have done a dueling mode like a tournament style dueling system, a rank matchup system, a win matchup system literally anything else than racing to 10 would be better for dueling.

Then again im preaching to the choir because torn banner obviously isnt going to change from this post but it just seems so poorly thought of for something that could potentially reel in alot of new players.

• Well, now you can set mininum rank on your servers, so like my duel mode server, I set the minimum to rank 15, although I may change it to 20 in the near future. Perhaps you need to find a server with some rank limits.

• @Kimiko:

Well, now you can set mininum rank on your servers, so like my duel mode server, I set the minimum to rank 15, although I may change it to 20 in the near future. Perhaps you need to find a server with some rank limits.

Kimi the elitist -Shakes head-

• It’s true that the matching/scoring system seems kind of senseless. I’d prefer it if it were made into some sort of tournament style - either with brackets and rounds, or at least something that factored in how well people were doing when picking matches and came out with an overall winner through some other method than rushing to 10 wins.

• I haven’t had the opportunity to actually play the Duel gametype, as you can’t sort on gametype in the browser nor select it in the filters (how this got missed for a new gametype I will never understand), so by the time I found a duel server in the list with a reasonable ping, it’s at capacity already (which BTW seems to happen a lot more than right before the patch - was the server browser improvement of a month or two ago undone?).

But this sounds like the worst way to implement duel… sounds oike it’s nothing more than just the same as the FFA servers with Duel in the name, except that you can’t hurt people in a duel with someone else?

A tournament-type setup where you simply have to fight every other player once would have been the best, but would be hard to get right with people leaving or joining mid-game. Maybe the next best thing would be a scoring system that takes relative level into account? And besides that a system where people who are there from start to finish each get (and have) to play the same number of rounds.

• @Daiyuki:

@Kimiko:

Well, now you can set mininum rank on your servers, so like my duel mode server, I set the minimum to rank 15, although I may change it to 20 in the near future. Perhaps you need to find a server with some rank limits.

Kimi the elitist -Shakes head-

Lol no. It wasn’t all my idea. Tis a clan thing. Pshh.

• I don’t like the dueling system. The maps are fun but unnecessary, and I much prefer the old method of dueling…Just walking around in FFA and taunting each other.

You need to be able to see other combatants while dueling! Chivalry is a social game, and interactions with other players are important in maintaining the feel of the game. Duel mode feels like a boring meat grinder and I won’t be going back very often. It’s just too dreary to only ever see one other player.

• When I heard they were adding a duel gamemode I was more expecting a comptetive elimination style of duel mode.
    Like this:

Player 1 Vs Player 2 >>>>
    …… >>>Player 1 vs Player 4>>
    Player 3 vs Player 4 >>>>…
    …>>Player 1 vs Player 6 >>>> Player 1 is the winner
    Player 5 vs Player 6 >>>>…/
    …>>>Player 6 vs Player 7>>
    Player 7 vs Player 8>>>>

The current duel mode is nice but I was hoping for something else.

• I personally like the system how it currently is. I like that I usually get a new player each round and the repetition is minimal. I also like how you don’t have to wait around for too long before your next match comes up.

Regarding challenging other players, don’t they have to first accept the challenge before you both duel?

I personally don’t care about being the best duel player, even though I have made the top about 3 times out of like 12 matches last night…. even if some guy plows through all their matches like a race, if I had fun, did my best and have a Win/Loss ratio I’m happy with, that’s all that matters.

And even if I only come across the top player once the whole time, if I destroy him, I’m happy. 8-)

@Zok:

When I heard they were adding a duel gamemode I was more expecting a comptetive elimination style of duel mode.
    Like this:

Player 1 Vs Player 2 >>>>
    …… >>>Player 1 vs Player 4>>
    Player 3 vs Player 4 >>>>…
    …>>Player 1 vs Player 6 >>>> Player 1 is the winner
    Player 5 vs Player 6 >>>>…/
    …>>>Player 6 vs Player 7>>
    Player 7 vs Player 8>>>>

The current duel mode is nice but I was hoping for something else.

But what does everybody else do in the meantime while the winners keep fighting?

Leave the server…. that’s what I’d do. I want to play the game, not watch it. I love how this duel mode works, in that everybody can fight at the same time, yet not get in each other’s way. I don’t know how they did it (like how each match uses the same map, yet are out of phase of each other or something) but it’s awesome.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

But what does everybody else do in the meantime while the winners keep fighting?

Leave the server…. that’s what I’d do. I want to play the game, not watch it. I love how this duel mode works, in that everybody can fight at the same time, yet not get in each other’s way. I don’t know how they did it (like how each match uses the same map, yet are out of phase of each other or something) but it’s awesome.

That’s why it shouldn’t be a map type. It would be much more interesting if there was a duel button on the main menu that would match you with someone with a similar skill level level.

• I was hoping the duel system was going to be way different than it is… I was hoping more for the same menu and setup, but each duel is a random or chosen map and it just goes forever. I don’t like that all duels are on the 1 set map until finished, and I don’t see the point in there being any competition other than the person you’re dueling. The “race” aspect of the current duel mode causes people to rush a lot I’ve noticed because if your duel takes too long then someone else might have finished 2 or 3 by then /GASP. I say take the “first to (insert score)” aspect out, just let me duel. Who cares who has how many how fast?

• Again, should have been modeled after Unreal/Quake.

2 people random start duel, rest spectate, winner stays and duel next, loser goes back to spectate and wait for rest to have a turn, score can still be 10 wins.

This duel mode seems… not to have the desired effect, it takes away what makes duel modes great. Every one has a chance, best player does win and the joy of spectating good fights and commenting on duelers.

• @Blackjack:

Again, should have been modeled after Unreal/Quake.

2 people random start duel, rest spectate, winner stays and duel next, loser goes back to spectate and wait for rest to have a turn, score can still be 10 wins.

This duel mode seems… not to have the desired effect, it takes away what makes duel modes great. Every one has a chance, best player does win and the joy of spectating good fights and commenting on duelers.

I would absolutely love this, but I think the common player does not have the patience for it.

• @The:

I would absolutely love this, but I think the common player does not have the patience for it.

Pretty much. When I duel I want to play, I’ve no interest in others matches.

• 2 people random start duel, rest spectate, winner stays and duel next, loser goes back to spectate and wait for rest to have a turn, score can still be 10 wins.

Well perhaps they could add tournament and round-robin duel modes eventually, but I would much rather have a dynamic map made for dueling where I can fight opponents none-stop, then have the ability to watch two people fight live while I spam my taunt button.

If the spectator cage match is better for you, there is still FFA with gentleman’s dueling rules. But I think it was more important for them to get out a pure duel mode where your everyday noob can experience it without having to worry about griefer…or joining a dueling server and griefing accidentally. This will get more people involved and interested in dueling so more people will be interested in these round-robin e-peen shows that some of you want.