Possibility to use bow as a melee weapon

• Give bows a parry and melee attack please. No more needs to be said.

• Aside from making no sense to allow a wooden bow to block blades and axes, this would be imbalancing as it would allow the Archer to fire without having to worry about being defenseless against melee. In practical terms, it would allow the archer to get off at least one more shot against a charging enemy they would have had to have switched a melee weapon to survive against, and it would make their control over engagements way too strong.

If you want a ranged weapon that can block and use melee, use javelins. That’s their thing, though they’re a bit clunky at it.

• I think they should be allowed to kick or bow bash (like a kick with a different animation). But that’s all. Kick to have time to change their weapon. An MAA is the one that gets in kicking distance and the most damaging to an archer. Time verses damage wise. And speed.

• Disagreed on both melee bow and kick.
    There’s no reason they should have their cake and it eat too, either switch earlier or try to make your last arrow count and face the consequences if you miss.

• @The:

Disagreed on both melee bow and kick.
    There’s no reason they should have their cake and it eat too, either switch earlier or try to make your last arrow count and face the consequences if you miss.

Your scared of being kicked by an archer so he can change to his toothpick?

• @lemonater47:

@The:

Your scared of being kicked by an archer so he can change to his toothpick?

You’re 12 or something?
    Nevermind. What do I bother talking with people like you anyway.

• @lemonater47:

I think they should be allowed to kick or bow bash (like a kick with a different animation). But that’s all. Kick to have time to change their weapon. An MAA is the one that gets in kicking distance and the most damaging to an archer. Time verses damage wise. And speed.

Asking for kick is not outrageous, I have a bow I didn’t forget how to walk.

They way things are now, the bow is a damage weapon not a killing weapon.

Our only real defense against and attacker is one goo shot and a melee fight.

I can here it now, but you have range. Sure I can shoot an arrow across the map but I am more likely to win something from the lottery than I am to hit some (friend or foe).

To even be affective archer have to shoot at a range that gives us one shot, before an attacker will be on us. The chase mechanic and our very slow weapon switch times see to that.

Our feet aren’t any good for running, at least let us use them to potentailly prevent that one shot, we know so well.

• @nsweetman:

Asking for kick is not outrageous, I have a bow I didn’t forget how to walk.

Yes it is. It will only become easier for archers to kite enemies this way, after a kick just flick another arrow, and kick again, repeat the whole process till the enemy is dead.

@nsweetman:

They way things are now, the bow is a damage weapon not a killing weapon.

Our only real defense against and attacker is one goo shot and a melee fight.

Disagreed, I’ve seen plenty of people getting proper kills with the bow.

@nsweetman:

I can here it now, but you have range. Sure I can shoot an arrow across the map but I am more likely to win something from the lottery than I am to hit some (friend or foe).

To even be affective archer have to shoot at a range that gives us one shot, before an attacker will be on us. The chase mechanic and our very slow weapon switch times see to that.

Correction, -you- can’t hit anything at range. -You- need to be at a short range that only allows you to flick off one shot. I’ve seen plenty of people who have experience playing the archer and have honed their skills that they can easily lead, release and hit a target on the head and torso at long range.

@nsweetman:

Our feet aren’t any good for running, at least let us use them to potentailly prevent that one shot, we know so well.

Your feet are fine, part of playing archer is realising when it’s time to switch to melee, or when to run. If you draw blade and turn around to run when the enemy is already in your face, you’re retreating far to late.

I am wholey against the proposal of using the bow as a melee weapon, be it for parry or kick. Archers need to realise that they are at the best advantage at long to medium range, and if the enemy closes in they will need to decide for themselves if they need to retreat or if they need to go melee. Archers should not have the option to just sit there and have absolutely no worries about enemies closing in because they have the ability to parry and kick with a bow.

• bow bash makes sense to me. would take time to drop the arrow and the “draw” and would still give em a small chance to counter with something without shotgunning like tards. (least i think so)

well they maybe (JUST MAYBE) could get a targe

targes are small shields, you can wear em and have a 2 handed weap ,(such as bow or 2handers) they dont offer much protection but are better than nothing. Could be tricky to balance but if you keep it small and its blocking texture (/area) realistic you could offer some nice stuff to the game.

• Legolas and Robin Hood used their bows as melee weapons.

Warbow is pretty solid - should be equivalent to the quarterstaff.

• @SharpshotSid:

Yes it is. It will only become easier for archers to kite enemies this way, after a kick just flick another arrow, and kick again, repeat the whole process till the enemy is dead.

That is bull. Kick range is no where near enough to shoot another arrow before getting hit.

Obviously an anti-archer…

• obviously not.

we just hate skillless shotgun kiting. im totally fine with a kick-like-attack for the archer with ranged. but still if there is just a small chance to kiteshotgun enemies we can also delete chivalry and keep playin aoc.

• @gregcau:

Obviously an anti-archer…

“He is not agreeing with me, therefor he must be against me”. It doesn’t work that way.

And it’s not bull. A kick can in lots of cases create sufficient enough of a distance between the acher and it’s opponent to get a shot off(warbow not withstanding due to obvious reasons). A shortbow could benefit even more of this. The kicking distance combined with the backpeddling of the archer(or as a skilled archer would do, turn around, sprint, jumpturn and nock arrow) can easily be used to fling off another arrow.

• @The:

In my view I don’t think Archers should be able to parry / block with a bow or cross bow…… nor should they be able to kick.

BUT

I think they should at least be allowed to use the wheel up thrust to take an arrow to stab, causing minor damage, but allowing them enough time to switch weapons, but no kick back… just an interruption to the incoming attack to buy them one second.

• I think they should just spawn with their secondary out.

Have spawned too many times with an enemy (especially FFA), so by the time my secondary is out, they’ve already gotten at least one free shot, and another if it cancels my weapon draw like it has been. So either a bow block so i can make some time or prevent me from spawning at a major disadvantage would be nice.

• Kick to change to a secondary. Then its an honourable fight. Not just a convenient kill.

The archer is still at a disadvantage.

If your stupid which many people are you’ll die. If you get owned by archers in melee all the time your doing it wrong.

And will only kick you if you get too close.

• I dont know how you. But when i play with archer and somebody gets too close i run away and scream. Most of the time somebody saves me or he gives it up and i can shoot again. If bow could be used as melee weapon, we would see less cowardly running archers.

• @lemonater47:

Kick to change to a secondary. Then its an honourable fight. Not just a convenient kill.

If your stupid which many people are you’ll die. If you get owned by archers in melee all the time your doing it wrong.

If you get caught out with your bow by a melee class, then you should be punished for it. Archers should always be at a disadvantage in melee, that’s the only way they could ever be balanced. If you wanted to add a kick you would need to add some sort of drawback to compensate, such as stamina use on bow draws as suggested in another topic. Alternately, slightly improve the capability of melee classes for flinching archers at ranged, if we wanna slightly improve the capability of the ranged class to flinch melee classes in melee.

• @Bulzeeb:

@lemonater47:

Kick to change to a secondary. Then its an honourable fight. Not just a convenient kill.

If you get caught out with your bow by a melee class, then you should be punished for it. Archers should always be at a disadvantage in melee, that’s the only way they could ever be balanced. If you wanted to add a kick you would need to add some sort of drawback to compensate, such as stamina use on bow draws as suggested in another topic. Alternately, slightly improve the capability of melee classes for flinching archers at ranged, if we wanna slightly improve the capability of the ranged class to flinch melee classes in melee.

They are still at a disadvantage even with a melee weapon out.

Are you saying an archer in melee is OP. as it sounds like you think that.

And do you really think every archer would be kicking? Half the time they will kick and miss.

• @Vincik:

I dont know how you. But when i play with archer and somebody gets too close i run away and scream. Most of the time somebody saves me or he gives it up and i can shoot again. If bow could be used as melee weapon, we would see less cowardly running archers.

If you had balls you would see less archers running.

If you see someone coming at you don’t try and shoot them. Your probably gonna miss. Swap early and act like a man at arms. Surprises the shit out of them.