Knight with flail art too slow!

• A knight bearing a maul makes faster haste than a knight bearing a flail.

Flails are 2.2 pounds:
    http://www.amazon.com/Whetstone-Cutlery … B001R19KPM

Modern Sledges range from 10 pounds to 20 pounds:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_maul

I ART CONFUSED.

• Welcome2 Chivalry’s logic

• Blame the beta testers for complaining about the flail because it was new and they didn’t know how to fight against it. Instead of coming up with tactics to beat it, they just nerfed it into oblivion.

• @MrRedshark:

Blame the beta testers for complaining about the flail because it was new and they didn’t know how to fight against it. Instead of coming up with tactics to beat it, they just nerfed it into oblivion.

They shouldeth add my to thy’s beta testing, so I may bringeth truth about the weaponary towards thy developers.

• @MrRedshark:

Blame the beta testers for complaining about the flail because it was new and they didn’t know how to fight against it. Instead of coming up with tactics to beat it, they just nerfed it into oblivion.

Wait this is a nerfed version of the flail we are using? Haha damn, it must have been ridiculous before.

I found it quite a bit powerful when I tried it and I noticed you can certainly die to it in very few hits. I believe I died in one overhead headshot as a Vanguard and I’m sure I’ve dealt the same.

Yes it does seem like you really have to pay a lot more attention to the flail when defending against it. Seems like you have to aim your blocks and parries with more exaggeration and distance to compensate for that sneaky reach-around effect.

I do like the way it noticeably feels like you are using a flail though. ;)

• The maul is slower, tremendously so. Why compare it to such a radically different weapon anyways? Try the warhammer, it’s the only other onehanded primary. It’s faster and more powerful, but it has shorter range and is easier to parry.

@MrRedshark:

It was hard for me to judge in the beta with 150 ping parrying, so I have yet to see how useful the ‘unpredictable’ effect on the flails is. I imagine it could be quite deadly when combined with jumps, alt swings, feints and the like. Lower damage output for a unique ability like that seems like a valid tradeoff.
    The option to choose heater shields would be nice, and the ball & chain behave a bit too much like styrofoam right now.

• Well fuck. Two hit kill overhand on a knight and he’s dead with the flail. Maul doesn’t one hit knights.

And flails are very good against shields. That’s what you use them against.

• @SerFluffy:

A knight bearing a maul makes faster haste than a knight bearing a flail.

Flails are 2.2 pounds:
    http://www.amazon.com/Whetstone-Cutlery … B001R19KPM

Modern Sledges range from 10 pounds to 20 pounds:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_maul

I ART CONFUSED.

Not this shit again. Who told you that main goal of this game is realism?

• Out of my personal experience with using a Flail & Heavy Flail, and aswell fight someone who held such a weapon, I’d have to say that I found it fairly balanced the way it was sorta in Beta patch 3#, It wasn’t that much slow, and its HTK on Knights had been reduced on Flail, thus making the Heavy Flail more viable for taking out Knights. I believe that the two different variation of flails has gone through a lot of whining lately, because its a new weapon and people have not sorta found a way to fight opponents with such weapon, like most, instead for working hard on a technique, they run straight to the forums with claims that its overpowered. I totally disagree, now the Flails seems somewhat slow.

• I haven’t really played against it with anything besides an maa, but to me flail knights are absolutely free food at the moment. They are so ridiculously slow its pretty much a free opening the moment he swings. The buckler is also the worst defense in the world. There really isnt much benefits of it. The way i see it, knights can go shield bypassing far more effectively with a morning star given the speed.

• Well fuck. Two hit kill overhand on a knight and he’s dead with the flail. Maul doesn’t one hit knights.

Actually it does - one overhead headshot and a kick if he had full health and he’s done for.

I must say I find a flail kind of balanced - it isn’t supposed to dominate the battlefield, it’s a weapon designed mostly against shields. It’s very slow and short weapon. I think people just need a bit of practice to realize that a flail isn’t the best weapon for a knight to dominate the battlefield with. Just block him (swings are slow), kick him and that should be it.

Personally I use flail mostly against shielders as it doesn’t stand a chance against longer weapons (which often are equally fast or faster) and enjoy broadsword and buckler combination as my main setup for a knight. It isn’t the most powerful but feels really nice.

• @Mint:

I haven’t really played against it with anything besides an maa, but to me flail knights are absolutely free food at the moment. They are so ridiculously slow its pretty much a free opening the moment he swings. The buckler is also the worst defense in the world. There really isnt much benefits of it. The way i see it, knights can go shield bypassing far more effectively with a morning star given the speed.

This, pretty much, they made them too slow that even if they do have an unpredictable attack path, it’s so slow that it’s easy to react to.

Also the flail is really difficult to use when teammates are around. Since the stab is just a shield bash all that leaves is the overhead and even that can be unpredictable at times. The damage it deals is completely justified.

• I’m not so sure about the superior anti shield attack that the flails provide either. When facing an enemy they can defend my attack easily and the only way to get through their defense is to use a feint, but if im doing that I could just use any other weapon to get about the same effect. The flail really shines though once you get that first hit in and you don’t always comb and stick with overheads and the slashes at odd intervals. It can really destroy people, but when you’re faced with people with faster weapons its near impossible to keep them there like that with the weapons slow speed, and with everyone else who has a 2h weapon I can barely reach.

Im hoping that TB just toned down the flail a lot for the release of duel mode so players wouldn’t complain about it being overpowered, and are working on some additional testing for it. The range might be fine, but the speed is definitely too slow to be really effective at what it was intended for.

An idea that might work for it is to have a way to start pre-swinging it by FLAILING it around your head to give it a faster initial attack so it can really wreck some chaos once they’re in a defensive mode to stop your attacks. Just trying to think outside of the box because I really want to use the flail over the war hammer, but i just cant find a good reason to as it stands.

• Been waiting for the flail for a while now, but I’m rather underwhelmed.

It’s slow, short, and clumsy, and the damage isn’t even all that great. I don’t think it really needs a damage buff or anything, but the other attributes could use some looking at–particularly the reach and speed. As far as being unpredictable or anti-shield, I haven’t really gotten this impression from it at all. Shields seem quite capable against it. The only unpredictable thing about it seems to be a coin toss as to whether or not it will actually cause damage when it passes completely through an enemy. I’m fairly certain a high percentage of my attacks visually pass through or otherwise hit the enemy but cause no damage. And my ping doesn’t break 100, nor do I play on servers with high ping, so latency can’t be the culprit for such a severe problem I don’t think.

The shield is pretty terrible as well. I’d rather forgo the shield and have throwing axes or something.