Quarterstaff as a combo weapon

• The new quarterstaff is quite displeasing and offers little variety beyond the weapon’s unique appearance. Over the other Man-at-arms blunt options, it’s not really strong or noteworthy in any regard and the swing animation doesn’t have any real advantage like the Flail. In general terms, it feels a bit weak.

The overhand and stab could do with extra range, it’s a two-hander that trades potential shield usage when a one-handed mace can handle knight threats better. If the quarterstaff had amazing parry speed, it’d be one thing, but it seems to be the same as every weapon so it’s not even a defensive weapon as quarterstaffs traditionally are. The combo speed for a quarterstaff with double ended attacks would ordinarily be fairly high, yet the combo speed in this case is barely any different from one-handers. Daggers have a faster combo speed AND faster swings while doing MORE DAMAGE. It’s obviously a two-hander, but it lacks any of the advantages two-handers bring. Players can easily use a one-hander without a shield and that’s exactly what the quarterstaff feels like, a low damage one-hander with no shield option.

My opinion is that it needs something unique to go with its unique nature. I have two suggestions to offer.

Since parry is so strong, I’d rather see the quarterstaff be an amazing followup weapon with strikes that repeat themselves rapidly and suggest lowering the combo delay. Having a lower combo delay and being able to effectively chain attacks together would make the weapon a unique and viable option. It would be the offensive attack chainer which with low damage + the stun system would create oppurtunities for it to, on occassion, get a two for one on swings. This would also justify its lack of a shield and crappy range.

Alternatively, to increase both combo viability and defensive speed, instead reduce the recovery speed on swings as the staff is always held in two hands and always ready for a parry even shortly after swinging. This would allow safer swings with more chance to parry similar to archer daggers while also allowing for missed swings to have another followup sooner, as the staff is a dual weapon. This approach would make it more of a defensive weapon and good at countering feints, justifying its lack of a shield and low damage.

Going from parry to retaliation is also easy with a quarterstaff, but I think that’d be overpowered. Rather not touch the parry or counterattack speeds for game balance.

• I have only used it a couple of times, but allowing it to chain as you suggest would probably not be a good thing.

If used properly its quite damaging. With its animations it can behard to tell the difference between a right and left attack until thevery end.

• This idea is really amazing conceptually I have to say. At the moment it’s a crappy lacklustre weapon that takes more hits to kill anything while not gaining anything in return. The faster parry+parry recovery sounds like an amazing idea, since I’ve always preferred parrying to shields. Faster combo would be really cool too, which could make up for it’s low damage and punish mistakes. But for balance i think only one of either should be used. I prefer the fast combo idea and I think to balance it, just allow the max combo to be 2 hits instead of 3 (punish lmb spam and missed combos) but make the combo delay really short, giving you strong small windows of opportunity to deal burst damage.

• As much as I love my grandma stick, It’s a novelty weapon right now.

Every single class except the Knight goes down in three solid hits. That’s right, even Archers (maybe unless you get two overheads to the head, not 100% sure on that one). Knights take 5 hits unless you land strikes to the head at some point.

The weapon’s problem is quite visible even in the crude in-game stats. Let’s compare it to the Broadsword, one of the MAA’s best combo weapons, hm?

It has 24% damage, compared to the Broadsword’s 41%. The damage type may be ‘better’, but the actual gains are nonexistent due to the puny base damage. You lose one hit to kill againist every class but the Knight, againist whom you gain nothing.

It has 77% speed, compared to the Broadsword’s 82%. So it can’t dish out it’s inferior damage faster; quite the opposite, in fact. From my decidedly anecdotal experience, you’ll be catching people off guard a lot less than with the Broadsword.

You could say it makes up for those problems in reach. A few minutes with it will tell you otherwise. It is not long enough to keep a remotely agressive enemy away while kiting, and most certainly not long enough to effectively threaten two or more enemies at once, unless said enemies are attemting to lick you to death.

While it’s ability to combo is passable, the fact that you’re going to need one more hit to down every single non-Knight class means the enemy has much more time to react and land his two hits needed to kill with most weapons. This is especially true of popular dueling weapons like the Sword of War. You can’t risk facehugging a Knight and mashing out a long combo, especially considering he can just ignore your initial damage and time his counterattack right after taking a hit.

The usual Man At Arms tactic for dealing with this scenario is to hit and run. Wait for an opening or use your dodge to bait a mistake out of your enemy, move in, get a free hit or two with your faster weapon, and get out. However, both the pitiful base damage (the lowest of all Man At Arms primaries) and slower initial speed (the second slowest of all Man At Arms weapons) make this tactic far less effective. The bit of added range does not help to a noticeable degree in most scenarios.

And finally, due to (again) the low base damage, and the need to get a lot of individual hits in, feints are relatively bad with this weapon. While most people will not be able to appropriately react to them, aggressive enemies can bank on your inability to trade hits even againist other Man At Arms weapons and go for a strike every time they expect you to feints.

Every single opponent I’ve downed with this weapon, I felt like I could’ve done the same to, in half the time, with any other weapon.

My suggestion would be to increase it’s damage to just barely enough for overheads with a head hit or two to be able to three hit knights. After that, either the speed, or the range, or other stats like combo speed, recovery time, or even the delay between parries as the OP suggested, could use some touching up. Then it may find it’s niche as a weapon that is as powerful againist Knights as other classes, but weaker than usual againist said other classes, and a few extras to make up for it.

• @Mint:

This idea is really amazing conceptually I have to say.

Thanks! I agree the faster combo woud be the better option as dodge makes the class more survivable already and it’s kind of a combo class.

Shas’la also brings up a good point, the damage the quarterstaff deals on non-knight classes is pretty bad for its disadvantages and the blunt anti-knight aspect of it means little when it takes so many shots to kill.

• The QS has amazingly fast overheads though, its pretty much the only attack worth using with the stick. Its actually fast enough to stunlock an opponent, but i agree its damage is still pretty lacking.

Another upside is that people get awfully complacent about fighting an MAA armed with a wooden stick :D

• In FFA this weapon is pretty weak. If I’m facing more than 1 opponent I feel like anything except a stab leaves me wide open, even then I don’t feel like I can land a stab unless I come in from the sides, which is difficult against +1 opponents.

I use the waraxe almost exclusively, because of it’s damage and compared to that obviously the damage is quite low, but even compared to the other weapons I occasionally use it feels weak. It’s a 2hander, it should hit harder, shouldn’t it? I do realize it’s fast though, maybe that makes up for it.

In a 1v1 I feel like I have a decent chance to win but I feel super weak if it’s not straight 1v1
    *edit
    On the plus side you can still grab the shield + club/saber and be almost as good as normal

• I agree that the staff is a little weak.

I have been able to post 10:1 kdrs against certain opponents with it, but I think it was because the opponents weren’t very good.

There is no compelling reason to choose it over the other weapons besides its very slightly longer reach.

• @Crum1y:

In FFA this weapon is pretty weak. If I’m facing more than 1 opponent I feel like anything except a stab leaves me wide open, even then I don’t feel like I can land a stab unless I come in from the sides, which is difficult against +1 opponents.

I use the waraxe almost exclusively, because of it’s damage and compared to that obviously the damage is quite low, but even compared to the other weapons I occasionally use it feels weak. It’s a 2hander, it should hit harder, shouldn’t it? I do realize it’s fast though, maybe that makes up for it.

In a 1v1 I feel like I have a decent chance to win but I feel super weak if it’s not straight 1v1
    *edit
    On the plus side you can still grab the shield + club/saber and be almost as good as normal

FFA is not a legitimate gamemode to determine a weapon’s effectiveness as it is essentially a game of “who can lasthit/killsteal the most” and tends to favor reach over anything else - spears and certain polearms let players poke in and out of skirmishes with minimal risk to themselves.

I’m not arguing that the QS isn’t underwhelming, simply that FFA’s gameplay and general chaos makes a lot of weapons & tactics seem like poor choices so it should never be used as a stage to judge anything.

• I usually play with a waraxe and shield and win. Obviously MAA doesn’t do well in giant cluster melee so I stay out of those anyway and seek out 1v1.

I dont think my opinion is invalid because of FFA. Most of the FFA maps promote 1v1 or small fights so I don’t think you’re right, in team objectives I find myself in the same exact fights as in FFA, just with more downtime inbetween and high chance of getting team killed

• Since the content patch landed I’ve played almost exclusively with the quarter staff. My duel stats are around 120-20 or thereabouts.

I think the speed and range is excellent, with possibly the stab attack needing just a little bit more range.

What it really needs to bring it inline with other weapons is a little bit more damage. It should 2 shot archers with 2 overheads torso hits. 3 shot MAA or 2 shot them with 1 torso + 1 head. Vanguards should die to 3-4 hits with 50% headshots, and knights 4-5 hits with 2 or 3 headshots.

I find it is a pretty easy weapon to get headshots with compared to a lot of the other weapons, it just seems the way you use it lends itself to smash their heads.
    Perhaps instead of upping the damage, up the headshot multiplier just a little for quarterstaff only. That would make it a much more balanced weapon.