So kicks were nerfed again…

• Kicks have a certain delay now which makes it nearly impossible to counter an attack with a kick.
    Imo kicks should always be faster than weapon attacks which before the patch wasn’t the case often enough due to lag.
    Now, using kicks an ongoing fight equals suicide. There is no reason to do it anymore if you want to survive.

So I’d kindly suggest to take away the delay before a kick.

• Kicks are now slower than the maul. It is impossible to interrupt an attack with a kick unless you start kicking significantly before the other person attacks.

• Kicks aren’t for interrupting attacks.

• Anyone think we should make them extra slow but have the force of a Sparta kick? I would love to send my enemy flying across the room after yelling out everyone’s favorite quote from the movie 300. :jsmirk:

P.S. I’m totally kidding.

• @King:

Anyone think we should make them extra slow but have the force of a Sparta kick? I would love to send my enemy flying across the room after yelling out everyone’s favorite quote from the movie 300. :jsmirk:

P.S. I’m totally kidding.

And have the game go into slow mo for everyone while you do it.

P.S. I’m not.

• @SlyGoat:

Kicks aren’t for interrupting attacks.

Well, kicks used to be a very useful tool for slower classes to combat faster classes getting in their face with a fast weapon and hitting them repeatedly. In my experience so far they are no longer effective for that. Regardless of whether someone intended kicks for that, kicks were serving that role and changing that has changed the game balance.

Now we can argue about whether that is a good change or not… I’m not real fond of it at the moment, but maybe I need to get used to it.

• @SlyGoat:

Kicks aren’t for interrupting attacks.

What’s it for? Not that I agree with OP.

• Why would they slow down kicks? It was one of the few ways of making someone back off albeit only for a few moments.

• I didn’t notice they were slower. I DID notice that if you kick a shield block, it stuns the opponent for a good while. With a quick weapon, you can get at least one free hit in before they can do anything. A little give and take.

• @amrtin:

I didn’t notice they were slower. I DID notice that if you kick a shield block, it stuns the opponent for a good while. With a quick weapon, you can get at least one free hit in before they can do anything. A little give and take.

And that’s the problem, if you try to kick someone with a shield it’s pretty easy for them to get a hit in on you before the kick executes because it’s so slow right now.

• The spreadsheet doesn’t seem to say that kick speeds were changed at all, but I’ve been feeling some wonkiness with kicks lately, both with hit detection and with speed. They certainly feel slower, I’m not sure why.

It might be a bug rather than an unintended change, or I might be off my rocker. Still, this seems to be a prevalent complaint. This deserves to be investigated at the very least.

• Er…wat. I feel like you guys are missing something important?

It’s true that kicks are slower now and you can’t throw them out carelessly to interrupt attacks, but that’s because of the devastating buff they’ve received.

See, once upon a time there were these things called shields. Very bad people started using them. They were powerful, and many newer players could not figure out how to go around the shields and tickle their ribs!(Which of course is the weakness of every shield user.) This was terrible! So the warriors consulted a wizard, and the wizard told them simply to kick the shields! And so they did! And it would break the guard, and would allow you to BOP PEOPLE OVER THE HEAD WITH SHARP THINGS. And all was good.

But then the evil shielders called upon the dark gods. And the dark ones…they whispered. Whispered into all the ears of the shielders. “Uh. Dude. Just bring your shield back up?”

The kickers didn’t stand a chance. Shields were kicked only for them to be lifted again. The kicks were now useless.They were slaughtered cruelly, never expecting the shielder’s devlish ploy. The kickers were nearly completely wiped out.

But they would not surrender. Those with a warrior’s heart never do. With all their hopes and dreams channeled into one powerful kick, their feet smashed into the shield causing the shielders to bop THEMSELVES in the head with their own shields! The kickers now have the means to fight back…

But it came at a cost. They could no longer use kicks for things like interrupting enemy attacks…or playing soccer. Or football. Or I guess they’re the same thing to some people?

THE END.

tl;dr kicks cause a MUCH longer flinch now when done to someone with their shields lifted.

• ^ Epic.

I would just like to say that if someone has their shield up, and you initiate a kick, there is NO WAY they have time to attack you. There is just enough time to drop the shield to avoid being stunned. If you get hit mid kick, it is not because you were kicking a raised shield.

If kicks really are slower, I really do feel like it is justified due to the increased usefulness of landing one. If I got kicked with my shield up before the patch it made no difference. I always had time to bring my shield back up. In no way do I think kicks were nerfed.

• @amrtin:

^ Epic.

I would just like to say that if someone has their shield up, and you initiate a kick, there is NO WAY they have time to attack you. There is just enough time to drop the shield to avoid being stunned. If you get hit mid kick, it is not because you were kicking a raised shield.

If kicks really are slower, I really do feel like it is justified due to the increased usefulness of landing one. If I got kicked with my shield up before the patch it made no difference. I always had time to bring my shield back up. In no way do I think kicks were nerfed.

While this seems reasonable, this wasn’t mentioned in the patch notes. It also doesn’t address the newly poor hit detection with kicks, and/or the range decrease.

Remember, kicks had already cost a lot of stamina. I’m not so sure this nerf was justified just yet, even with the buff.

• @nimbulan:

Kicks are now slower than the maul. It is impossible to interrupt an attack with a kick unless you start kicking significantly before the other person attacks.

Great. Now it is impossible to counter a MaA. 2-3 shots and they can kill a knight at full health, and now there is not a damn thing he can do about it.

• After playing a bit it feels that this change made kicks almost entirely useless unless fighting someone with a shield. I cant say I’m particularly happy with the change as it removes an extra level of complication in fights. Previously if you were able to judge your opponents actions well enough a good kick could change a fight, now if you try it you seem to take the hit every time.

• I am totally good with reverting kicks back to their original pre-patch state. :D It’s really cramping my style as a sword/shield player.

• Probably the unpopular opinion here, but I personally don’t mind this change. Pre-patch there were a lot of people who just spammed kicks for no particularly reason making them very easy to kill. It’s like they thought burning their stamina and opening themselves to attacks was a good idea?

Rarely did I ever meet anyone who ACTUALLY interrupted my attacks with a kick. And even if they did interrupt my attack what did that kick actually accomplish? They didn’t get hit by my attack, but they don’t get to counter-attack either. It would have been much better for them to have parried.

The only thing I’m going to miss is using it to finish off someone at low health.

But yeah, to those saying “Kick is now useless against everything except shielders” I’d argue that pre-patch kicks were just plain useless.

• Yeah, honestly, kicks were mostly useless before. Sure, you would sometimes get lucky and get a kill when using a kick, and maybe it was even because of a kick; but that really was just good luck on your part. I, for one, love this new change.

• @Curt:

Yeah, honestly, kicks were mostly useless before. Sure, you would sometimes get lucky and get a kill when using a kick, and maybe it was even because of a kick; but that really was just good luck on your part. I, for one, love this new change.

Maybe you didn’t use them right… kicks used to be a great tool to freshen up a fight. When there was a MaA directly in my face (me being knight) spamming feint attacks all over me I could kick him away getting myself some personal space to initiate my own attacks.

It’s still possible to do so, but it’s not very likely you won’t get struck a couple of times while trying…