My Thoughts and Criticisms on the Update.

• So far I have liked the update overall; the new weapons are great, the new maps are awesome, and generally I feel that the game itself is much improved. However I do have some big criticisms regarding the way that in some aspects the Archer and Man-at-arms have been changed that I feel is a bit overpowered, or have actually been changed in the WRONG way in some cases.

Knights and Vanguards are fine; though the latter seems to suffer more due to it being fairly slow (though not as slow as the knight) but also other classes are able to interrupt its attacks.

Archers: I feel this ‘knives can block’ system is just horrendous. They can now block blows from huge two-handed weapons (virtually impossible feat) now although I think this to be fine with short swords or most one handers, I see it as just being all out daft that they can block bigger, heavier weapons. They can now practically charge Man-at-arms and vanguards and rip them to pieces in a matter of seconds, with, especially the Vanguard, being sod all able to do anything about it, except pray they get a hit in, as it also appears virtually impossible to block the dagger.

Furthermore I think the Archer class, should have had the abilities to move whilst aiming a bow removed (you can’t do it! I’ve been doing archery for years and moving and shooting is literally impossible!!!) crossbowmen not so much. These people are meant to be crap at close quarters, they are meant to be torn apart with ease.

Man-At-Arms: These guys have become so quick, whereas before, in the hands of someone decent they felt challenging (which is a good thing), now they are just extremely hard to kill unless you get a good hit as they charge. If they are with someone, or with another man-at-arms its even worse, even if you have back up which isn’t a MAA. I have two-shoted playing as one and been two-shotted by them, when playing as a Vanguard, even after I’ve smacked the MAA 3 times with a halberd. If they just run into you, and hit you, you literally can’t do anything about it; even if you swap to a smaller weapon, they have already ground your brains into powder before you can strike back.

These are the only points I can express that I feel the update did not do well in, I might be wrong, but since I like to play all of the classes I feel that I sort of know whats not quite right atm. Other than this I think the update is really good, and I’am enjoying it for the most part, and look forward to other updates in the future.

• Myself, I would like a refund.
    If it were free, it would not be worth it.

• @Octavious:

Myself, I would like a refund.

That’s the most stupid thing I’ve read all day, congrats.

• @Octavious:

Myself, I would like a refund.

Yeah please cut with the rage antics or ‘I don’t want to play, waaaa’.

The game is still downright amazing, the purpose of giving feedback is exactly that; give feedback, not howl for a refund and how your not going to play!

• Myself, I would like a refund.

On what ground? Why do people think they’ll get a refund only because they failed to check out on the product they were buying? I made a couple of bad choices when buying some titles but it was my choice to do so back then and I wouldn’t think about getting a refund. I just check up on my would-buy titles more catiously.

• As a vanguard wielding a claymore, I’ve got to agree. Since the update I can’t seem to block anything, and especially against archerst and MAA wielding daggers and small swords, I might aswell not bother fighting back. Vanguard attacks and even kicks are just too slow, even though I use the claymore, which before the update was a great alround weapon.

Frankly if nothing changes I’ll be giving up Chivalry too. Perhaps it’s for the best, since I’ve been playing it more than I’d like to admit :D

• @Hellvern:

Furthermore I think the Archer class, should have had the abilities to move whilst aiming a bow removed (you can’t do it! I’ve been doing archery for years and moving and shooting is literally impossible!!!) crossbowmen not so much. These people are meant to be crap at close quarters, they are meant to be torn apart with ease.

I beg to differ, before my eyes got worse I used to shoot a longbow every nice day I could find for 3-4 years. It is doable to maintaining a steady gate and fire a bow with some accuracy, you have to find where reality and game balance meet. If I could land these shots with only 3 years of solid practice imagine what a person who’s sole occupation was shooting bows. I’d say even from a reality stand point it is possbile.

Oh and this, please observe around 43 seconds in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI

• @dem0n:

As a vanguard wielding a claymore, I’ve got to agree. Since the update I can’t seem to block anything, and especially against archerst and MAA wielding daggers and small swords, I might aswell not bother fighting back. Vanguard attacks and even kicks are just too slow, even though I use the claymore, which before the update was a great alround weapon.

Frankly if nothing changes I’ll be giving up Chivalry too. Perhaps it’s for the best, since I’ve been playing it more than I’d like to admit :D

Yeah they pretty much Over nerfed the Vanguard while others got the buff. Nothing new here…. Ugh, just like AOC. I predict very few continuing to play Vanguard specially the Halberd. It is not like nerfing one thing but everything, attack speed, damage, health regen? Hell I saw saw someone running backwards faster than I could catch them. Oh well, what ya gonna do?

Aint nobody got time fo that.

• Wow. People are really quick to jump to conclusions about why they’re playing differently.

@Hellvern:

Archers: I feel this ‘knives can block’ system is just horrendous. They can now block blows from huge two-handed weapons (virtually impossible feat) now

They could always do this.

As has been mentioned by others, “parrying” is more about redirecting the enemy’s weapon than absorbing the full force of the blow so it’s not entirely unrealistic. Lighter weapons already experience greater stamina loss when blocking heavy weapons. Archers are sufficiently disadvantaged in melee by poorer reach and damage so if you died to an archer in melee you were clearly outplayed, which is exactly how it should be.

Man-At-Arms: These guys have become so quick, whereas before, in the hands of someone decent they felt challenging (which is a good thing), now they are just extremely hard to kill unless you get a good hit as they charge.

Movement speed was not changed at all in the update.

when playing as a Vanguard, even after I’ve smacked the MAA 3 times with a halberd.

Two hits of any attack with a halberd will kill a MAA, unless you hit them in the leg with two slashes (weakest attack + reduced damage) or let them regen between attacks.

@dem0n:

Vanguard attacks and even kicks are just too slow, even though I use the claymore, which before the update was a great alround weapon.

Kicks were slowed down but also buffed. The claymore was not changed in the update except one of its combo windups was sped up slightly.

• I think you’re seeing problems where there are none. Learn to play is a valid response in this case.

• I think they did something to the netcode or parrying. I’m an avid vanguard and greatsword player, mainly with one class one weapon, after the patch cant seem to block facehuggers at all, been also experiencing some weird bugs like seeing an opponent cancel an attack but yet theres still a block animation and sound on my end.

but then again it could just be the Multiplay servers in my region, worst hosts ever.

• @Hellvern:

Archers: I feel this ‘knives can block’ system is just horrendous. They can now block blows from huge two-handed weapons (virtually impossible feat) now although I think this to be fine with short swords or most one handers, I see it as just being all out daft that they can block bigger, heavier weapons. They can now practically charge Man-at-arms and vanguards and rip them to pieces in a matter of seconds, with, especially the Vanguard, being sod all able to do anything about it, except pray they get a hit in, as it also appears virtually impossible to block the dagger.

Weapons cannot block, they can parry. Even IRL this is possible, in fact there are daggers out there made specifically for that purpose. Parry is the redirection of the force not the absorption of force, that is what shield do absorb and deflect.

@Hellvern:

Its not impossible. Unless you only shoot compound/breaking or crossbows you must have practice the art of snap shooting. Combine this techinque with you moving, a little practice and you will be suprised how quickly it comes along.

Everything is impossible without practice.

• You can throw out all the accusations of a lack of skill within the player but for those of us with 400+ hours in the game, we notice these things. For example I am missing far more attacks than I was prior to the patch, dramatically so. I am also missing more blocks/parries than before, so much so that I am not even getting consistent positive KDR. For a skilled ranked 42 player like myself the patch is not all it is cracked up to be.

• @Retsnom:

You can throw out all the accusations of a lack of skill within the player but for those of us with 400+ hours in the game, we notice these things. For example I am missing far more attacks than I was prior to the patch, dramatically so. I am also missing more blocks/parries than before, so much so that I am not even getting consistent positive KDR. For a skilled ranked 42 player like myself the patch is not all it is cracked up to be.

I wouldn’t say it’s a lack of skill. I’d say it’s more of a having to re-learn the muscle memory and the parry and attack timings and distances after playing those 400+ hours.

Your muscle memory is a lot more cemented after 400+ hours than mine after 70+. Even with my paltry (in comparison) hours played I had a bit of trouble re-learning the game after the patch. I jumped on the day after it was released and got destroyed. I wasn’t happy in the slightest going from a regular 2+ K/D to a .5 K/D. One or two sessions later, I’m back to consistent 2+ K/D’s.

You just need to give it time.

• @Retsnom:

You can throw out all the accusations of a lack of skill within the player but for those of us with 400+ hours in the game, we notice these things. For example I am missing far more attacks than I was prior to the patch, dramatically so. I am also missing more blocks/parries than before, so much so that I am not even getting consistent positive KDR. For a skilled ranked 42 player like myself the patch is not all it is cracked up to be.

Are you that guy with I-am-not-cheating-video? Then it’s time to relearn to play at normal speed as others have to play with. Nothing connected with content-patch i guess.

• I’m not the most experienced at this game, but I feel like there’s something off with the game since the patch. I want to call it “laggy”. I only started playing on the free weekend, but in that time I’ve put in quite a few hours.

Anyway, I definitely notice that some of my swings that clearly should have connected, don’t, and same goes the other way for parries. It seems to me like it must be some sort of lag, like their avatar was not in the same location as the server saw them. It’s pretty frustrating to put a couple swings through someone’s head and then get demolished on their counter attack.

I’m also not too happy with face-hugging techniques. Playing as a slow knight, any MaA with an ounce of skill can demolish me. Literally running circles around me, I have no chance to do much of anything. If I’m lucky/focused I might get a parry in but they can swing again long before I have a chance to do any damage. Kicks are way too slow to connect with them. Granted this might just be a skill thing, so while I’m not saying “omg nerf MaA!” (because I don’t think they’re the problem), I do think we need a better “kick”. Like, kick might be a good force vs shield, but maybe we can get a “bash” as well for 2h and shields (IMO shield bash should be way faster than it is, and act as more of a stun than a push-back).

Basically, I think it might be nice to have a powerful kick for breaking shields, but also have 2h bash and shield bash as quick stuns.

Also… what’s up with fists? I got on a small server last night and 2 or 3 enemy knights were going fists and it was like, if they manage to get into hitting distance you just become stun locked till death. That was annoying!

• @BDrift:

@Retsnom:

Are you that guy with I-am-not-cheating-video? Then it’s time to relearn to play at normal speed as others have to play with. Nothing connected with content-patch i guess.

While you are correct that I am still struggling with the speed timing and distance of the game. I had almost 2 weeks of play prior to the patch where I was working on this transition. However, I would have to agree with many of the other posters about the patch. I have also, on many occasions, seen my weapon penetrate the model of my enemy and still not register damage, the same is true for blocks where I know I blocked properly and yet I took damage. Since I am not alone in this observation, something about the patch has changed and these are what we are observing.

• I have also, on many occasions, seen my weapon penetrate the model of my enemy and still not register damage, the same is true for blocks where I know I blocked properly and yet I took damage. Since I am not alone in this observation, something about the patch has changed and these are what we are observing.

I’ve seen swings of the grand mace going through enemies while pushes and overheads were fine. Then, when I changed the setup, swing didn’t work for all weapons. I am not sure what could be causing this, but I didn’t have this problem before the patch. Something is evidently going on.

• Weapons cannot block, they can parry. Even IRL this is possible, in fact there are daggers out there made specifically for that purpose. Parry is the redirection of the force not the absorption of force, that is what shield do absorb and deflect.

Your knit picking, you know exactly what I mean. And you have utterly missed the point, and have clearly not read what I have written. All weapons can ‘parry’ but a parrying dagger is not designed to ward of a blow from a two handed weapon, that’s just plain unrealistic, its a dueling weapon and wouldn’t have been used by medieval archers. Do you have absolutely no clue to the power behind say a two handed mace, a Claymore, or any other Great sword, the weight/force ratio?! These weapons could cleave through armour, so how on earth you think a dagger could block a two handed weapon (and I did state if you were paying attention that I think that it is fine with one handers etc) I don’t know, but that needs changing.

As has been mentioned by others, “parrying” is more about redirecting the enemy’s weapon than absorbing the full force of the blow so it’s not entirely unrealistic. Lighter weapons already experience greater stamina loss when blocking heavy weapons. Archers are sufficiently disadvantaged in melee by poorer reach and damage so if you died to an archer in melee you were clearly outplayed, which is exactly how it should be.

As mentioned above, I have already said that with other lighter/medium weapons this is fine, but with two handers? No. If you tried to redirect a weapon on a level of a Claymore etc with a dagger it would go straight through you. It isn’t outplaying, because I’am able myself to just ‘face hug’ an enemy vanguard with an archer and cut them to ribbons and succeed most of the time. Its bloody easy, and if its easy its not outplaying, its bllsht. Trying it against a knight or an MAA is suicide, sure, but Vanguards?? Vanguards are the new peasants in this game.

They may as well not even be wearing armour because it does little for them, and they’re slow enough people can avoid them when even walking backwards. Their attacks can be interrupted etc etc.

Two hits of any attack with a halberd will kill a MAA, unless you hit them in the leg with two slashes (weakest attack + reduced damage) or let them regen between attacks.

Depending, I mostly do overhead attacks, and when using a Vanguard, save for some occasions, it can take three. Only time its ever been two is when you get the two hits quickly in succession, or you get them in the head. I find hitting people in the legs nigh impossible because you have to aim directly at them with an overhead.

And yes facehugging is a massive issue, given how quick MAA can get hits of as Vanguard your dead, because either your attacks come to slowly or you get interrupted. Kicking them can help sometimes, but it almost just postpones your doom.

• Weapons cannot block, they can parry. Even IRL this is possible, in fact there are daggers out there made specifically for that purpose. Parry is the redirection of the force not the absorption of force, that is what shield do absorb and deflect.

Your knit picking, you know exactly what I mean. And you have utterly missed the point, and have clearly not read what I have written. All weapons can ‘parry’ but a parrying dagger is not designed to ward of a blow from a two handed weapon, that’s just plain unrealistic, its a dueling weapon and wouldn’t have been used by medieval archers. Do you have absolutely no clue to the power behind say a two handed mace, a Claymore, or any other Great sword, the weight/force ratio?! These weapons could cleave through armour, so how on earth you think a dagger could block a two handed weapon (and I did state if you were paying attention that I think that it is fine with one handers etc) I don’t know, but that needs changing.

As mentioned above, I have already said that with other lighter/medium weapons this is fine, but with two handers? No. If you tried to redirect a weapon on a level of a Claymore etc with a dagger it would go straight through you. It isn’t outplaying, because I’am able myself to just ‘face hug’ an enemy vanguard with an archer and cut them to ribbons and succeed most of the time. Its bloody easy, and if its easy its not outplaying, its bllsht. Trying it against a knight or an MAA is suicide, sure, but Vanguards?? Vanguards are the new peasants in this game.

They may as well not even be wearing armour because it does little for them, and they’re slow enough people can avoid them when even walking backwards. Their attacks can be interrupted etc etc.

Depending, I mostly do overhead attacks, and when using a Vanguard, save for some occasions, it can take three. Only time its ever been two is when you get the two hits quickly in succession, or you get them in the head. I find hitting people in the legs nigh impossible because you have to aim directly at them with an overhead.

And yes facehugging is a massive issue, given how quick MAA can get hits of as Vanguard your dead, because either your attacks come to slowly or you get interrupted. Kicking them can help sometimes, but it almost just postpones your doom.