UDK.exe won't stop; no servers

• Hello all,

I’ve had Chivalry for some while now, but since the recent update I’m unable to. I have two problems, one of which is a common one (but no fix works). My problems:

After exiting Chivalry, UDK.exe keeps running, and I cannot stop the process in Windows Taskmanager, nor any other manager (I’ve tried a few, including Sysinternal Process Explorer). The only thing that will help is restarting my computer, but I refuse to do that each time I want to play the game. If I don’t restart, UDK keeps reserving ~512 MB RAM and using some CPU power.

The other is that I simply cannot refresh my serverlist. Nothing shows up, ever. I’ve tried all the solutions listed here. Nothing helps. I have no such issues in the other games I play (BF3, Arma 2 (including DayZ), CS: GO, etc.). I also have my computer under a DMZ, so the router is not the issue. Nor is the firewall on my computer itself (Eset), because if I disable it, nothing changes.

My computer specs are as follows:

i7 920 @ 3,675ghz
    6GB RAM @ 1,7ghz
    7870 XT JokerCard (Tahiti core, like the 7950)

All in all I’m pretty upset. I bought the game months ago, and due to work I have only been able to play it for nine hours total. Since the latest update, it doesn’t even work any more. I hope someone has a solution for this mess.

Thanks in advance.

• In the first sentence I mean to say that I haven’t been able to play since the recent update. I can’t edit my post. What I get when editing is the following message:

! Internal Server Error
    !
    ! The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    !
    ! Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@chivalrythegame.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    !
    ! More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    !
    ! Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

• No responses? Really? Great…

• Try reinstalling (including deleting the Chivalry folder from Documents\My Games)

• Thanks, I’ll try that now. I had reinstalled, but hadn’t deleted the folder in My Documents.

• @Curverschaap:

Thanks, I’ll try that now. I had reinstalled, but hadn’t deleted the folder in My Documents.

That one may not always be removed when uninstalling :|

• Well, it doesn’t work. I deleted the game and the folder. Same problems still: no servers appear and UDK.exe won’t stop. It’s impossible to end the process.

Any other ideas?

• Please attach your Launch.log and DxDiag.txt. Let’s take a looksee.

• Okay. They’re attached. The log is from the last time I started Chivalry, when UDK.exe was impossible to stop (as always) and there were no servers. Dxdiag is also attached.

Thanks for looking at them.

• From your DxDiag.txt:

Driver Date/Size: 12/19/2012 21:08:04, 1151488 bytes
            WHQL Logo'd: n/a

Let’s start by getting you on the latest AMD video driver that is WHQL certified. Please download the latest from AMD’s website.

For the no servers thing, please remove the line “Suppress=DevOnline” from your UDKEngine.ini (Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config). Then launch the game and let the server browser go through its 20 second refresh time. Then exit the game cleanly and attach the new Launch.log. Removing “Suppress=DevOnline” will allow more debug statements to be printed tot he Launch.log.

• I’m on the latest beta drivers, which is why they’re apparently not WHQL certified. I’ll try the regular drivers, see if that makes a difference.

• @Curverschaap:

I’m on the latest beta drivers, which is why they’re apparently not WHQL certified. I’ll try the regular drivers, see if that makes a difference.

Not to nitpick, but you’re not on the latest beta drivers. Those are Jan 29, 2013, whereas your current ones are December 19, 2012. Anyway, yeah update to the latest WHQL drivers to eliminate a variable.

• I have the exact same two problems too. The game won’t stop properly and the server list won’t update.

• Adding to this. Just started this morning (2nd March 2013). Worked fine last night, went to launch it today and it went through the first time setup thing, with the installation of .Net setup and whatever else, so I assumed there had been an update.

Have reinstalled, deleted the My Docs folders and the steam/common files. I’ll append a launch.log with the devonline removed later - I’ve already restarted five times so far because of the unkillable UDK.exe process, and I cannot be bothered to do it a sixth to relaunch, and a seventh to kill it once and for all until this is sorted.

Win 7 Ultimate X64, AMD 13.1 drivers, opted in/out of steam beta participation, deleted masterserver.doodad and everything else suggested, as with the OP. Just mysteriously started happening.

EDIT: One thing to note: I’m also using Eset Smart Security. However, I know Chivalry to be unfiltered as I did so manually myself the other day when launching it for the first time in months - the interactive filter has it allowed, and the automatic filter also sees it unimpeded. I’m going to frig around with rules on UDK.exe itself for a bit and see if that does anything.

• devonline line removed.

• @HARRUMPH:

Adding to this. Just started this morning (2nd March 2013). Worked fine last night, went to launch it today and it went through the first time setup thing, with the installation of .Net setup and whatever else, so I assumed there had been an update.

EDIT: One thing to note: I’m also using Eset Smart Security. However, I know Chivalry to be unfiltered as I did so manually myself the other day when launching it for the first time in months - the interactive filter has it allowed, and the automatic filter also sees it unimpeded. I’m going to frig around with rules on UDK.exe itself for a bit and see if that does anything.

Gonna go ahead and confirm this is potentially an ESET problem. I’m using the latest ESET Smart Security 6, and upon reading the quoted post I turned off file protection and firewall and Chivalry started and the server list updated instantly. I’m very familiar with the program and it’s various bugs so I will run further tests and update the thread with a solution if I find one, but since it requires a log-off to clear the system it will take some time.

• Many logs later (thank you SSD) I’ve fixed my ESET problem at least. The basic process of flushing the rules and redoing them seems to work for now. Should apply to all ESET versions and products.

TL;DR FOR ADVANCED USERS: Delete your rules for UDK.exe, get them re-added and set it to
    Automatic Mode with Exceptions. Should work, let me know.

ESET SMART SECURITY SETUP -> ADVANCED SETUP -> NETWORK -> PERSONAL FIREWALL

Go into Rules and Zones. Under Zone and rule editor click Setup.

Find entries for UDK.exe and similar, ignore steam.exe. Delete all entries by clicking the + for the program and expanding the list, then right-clicking the ‘allow communication’ entries and selecting delete or simply press delete on the keyboard until it disappears from the list (you cannot simply delete the whole heading with one click).

Click OK once UDK is no longer in the zone and rule editor list.

Click on Personal firewall in Advanced setup. Change Filtering mode to Interactive mode in the dropdown.

Start Chivalry. Open browser and refresh. Alt-tab and the Interactive mode should be picking up the connections, set rules for each connection that comes up (there might be a few, do it for all).

Close Chivalry, it is still ‘bugged’ so it won’t close completely. Go into Zone and rule editor if you wish to confirm that the rules have been made.

If they have been made, go back and change your Filtering mode to to Automatic mode with exceptions (user-defined rules). At this point you will need to log off or restart your computer to clear UDK.exe. Once you launch again your browser list should update and you should be good to go.

IF THINGS DO NOT WORK: You can try to whitelist your UDK application modification by finding Application modification detection or similar under Network in your Advanced settings. This may be a placebo however, and does require rules to be made for UDK in Interactive mode.

IF INTERACTIVE MODE DOES NOT CREATE RULES: Go into Zone and rule editor and right click anywhere on the list -> create -> new rule. Give it a name, allow it for both and under the local tab browse your UDK.exe. Don’t worry about adding ports or anything else, it will be fine with simply the UDK.exe selecting under Local, a name and the action set to allow.

This is assuming you’re using ESET Smart Security. I’ve only fixed it on this machine and it took under 10 minutes so I didn’t do extensive testing, if you have the problem that UDK won’t close without a restart and this process does NOT fix it or you’re using a different firewall, post it here and I can attempt to troubleshoot it. Turn your firewall off and see if you can close the process, if so then it is your firewall. It is highly unlikely anything else in your system has the power to keep a non-essential process running without termination.

• Thanks, seems you were right about it being an ESS issue. Odd that it manifested out of nowhere though, after UDK had full permissions. I’d actually already frigged about in the rules and zones with no luck, but it seems all you need to do is delete it rather than make sure it has access, like you said.

In fact, I didn’t even need to log out/restart - I changed back to interactive mode and launched the browser, except I messed up and quit the game before alt-tabbing. So I allowed UDK in the pop-up when I quit, then removed the UDK.exe from rules and zones a second time (which also killed the process and allowed me to immediately relaunch the game). Then I refreshed the browser, remembered to alt-tab, allowed UDK and when I went back in to quit the game and follow the rest of the steps the browser was populating.

• ESS is extremely finicky when it comes to modifying rules and when an application modifies itself. I love the program and always use ESET products but occasionally something will just refuse to work. Took me days to get my home media server running through the firewall for this reason.

Regardless, glad it worked for you HARRUMPH. Very odd that the rules kept the process open, I’ve debugged it and sent a report to ESET but it’s probably just one of those glitches.